Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Losing to Boston a few years ago was the best thing that ever happened to us. It hurt like hell at the time, certainly. But it helped us realize the leadership of Dion and Phil wasn't the answer. Both talented players but not in the role we needed them for. Also showed that Reimer as cute and cuddly as most Leaf fans found him wasn't the answer. Now? We have the answers. 34, 16, 31, 29, 43, 44, 55 are very solid young players for us. An actual nucleus. This is a very tough first round match up. I'm hoping we kick Boston's ass because we owe them and because this will help our nucleus gain valuable experience for the Cups WE will WIN down the road......GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Borgman?
Perhaps he meant 23 Dermott.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Yep. The best way to defend the Bergeron line is to try to keep the puck in their zone and break up their zone entries, not defend defend defend in our zone and flip it out and defend again. Really that applies to any line, and is why pure defense no offense players are actually bad at defense.

But these are hybrid zone entries!!! Are you suggesting the Corsi Power Crunch Possession Own Rental Mighty Ducks Flying V Formation ?!!?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
TBH I think the teams are close in terms of Dmen, forwards and goalies. Just super close teams overall.

Here are the wild cards IMO:

Boston)
How healthy are they? In terms of who will dress for game one they're close to full health but those guys playing, I suspect they might be banged up a bit and if so, they're not as good as they could be and they may be susceptible to getting injured again. If they were 100% healthy I think they would be clear favourites, not huge favourites but clear favourites nevertheless due to their previous combat experience. As it is though, how close they are to their max potential is anyone's guess and that's the wild card.

Toronto)
How good are we? For a team with so many players with only 6 games of PO experience it's hard to know what to expect. We've had a PO spot all but locked up forever but even with nothing to motivate us we've still played well and we've been one of the best teams in the league in the 2nd half, that's impressive. And we've been winning while basically on cruise control, we haven't been riding our top guns who should all get more ice time against Boston and we're at full health and well rested so we should be able to play at our absolute best. Is it possible that if we've been winning while on cruise control, we can reach a whole new level once the playoffs start and we hit the turbo switch? I think it is possible. I think it's possible that this team is better than anyone thinks and these playoffs will be a coming out party for half a dozen guys on this team and that party will continue right into the Stanley Cup final.

Am I a deluded homer? Maybe, I dunno. I'm not saying we will make it to the final but it wouldn't surprise me at all. And if Boston's guys coming back from injury are at anything less than their best, they could be in big trouble.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Every Leafs/Bruins game the speedy Leaf forwards have run all over Chara. He is not the same guy as a few years ago when he was shutting down Kessel. It's ridiculous to suggest Rielly is not in his league right now. Poor Chara was abused horribly by our 4th liners the last time they met.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You have to really be drinking the cool aid if you think Toronto's dmen are remotely close to Boston's dmen. They are not even on the same planet. Chara and Mac are top pair in the nhl. They control all aspects of the game when they are on the ice. They control puck possession, they control defensive zone player positioning on the walls, they can move anyone in league from net area which massively helps out their goalie, they are strong on the breakout and they can help out a little on offence but really the way Boston plays it is not required of their team strategy.

Only way Toronto wins is to deploy a run and gun strategy and outskate the bruins and let their superior skill win them 4 games.

The main issue is same as 2013 and that is when game needs to be finished off can Babcock hold it together. Boston will pressure our defence if we slow down in 3rd period with a heavy forecheck and start the control game on the wall. Chara will come down to crease to play screener. Then we will see how much/how badly the Leafs want it. Freddy will not see the puck. Will our forwards block shots??? Will our defence get intimidated by the big man again??? Babcock will watch tapes i guarantee it BUT what will he do??? I too must admit I am very curious how he will circumvent things. For as much as things have changed some things are exactly the same. This is what will decide things again. The refs will put the whistle away much like last time and let the big boys decide things. Lets hope and pray Chara is not quite as mean and nasty as he was before. Lets hope Hainsey and Polak can man up. That said Go Leafs Go!!!!!!

Why are you comparing the Leafs 2013 team to this so much? It's not even remotely close. And BTW, you also seem to thik Chara is the same as in 2013. He is not even close.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
It's fun to analyze how the series might go (and what else do we have to do right now while we wait?), but really, it will take on a life all its own no matter what any of us predicts.

Both good teams, very evenly matched. It will come down to goaltending and bounces and overtime. Unlikely heroes will emerge, some big names will disappoint, and some will wear goat horns (and that might not be Komarov!).

There will be ebbs and flows and moments of joy and heartache and panic and rage and tension.

It's going to be awesome!!

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I think many people especially the media are seeing us as underdogs. I think they will be surprised when the series is over. It won't be a walk in the park, but I really like this match-up for us. I think the Leafs get it done and make it look easier than most think.

- 7-1 record head to head past two seasons (Playoffs are a different beast, but hard to say all things being even that this isn't a more favourable match-up for the Leafs)
- Boston's had a horrid schedule down the stretch
-They are likely more banged up than the Leafs are
-We have a significant speed advantage, and slightly more depth and scoring up front.

I still have about 15 pages to go in this thread but people are really down on the team, specially Babs and Leo.

The Bruins top line hasn't delivered in 6 years. And cannot match our top line.

This guy has it right. Not only are we better, but they are fatigued and beat up as hell.

The Bruins and the league are in for a shock. Once these leafs turn it on, they are nearly unstoppable.

Leafs in Five!

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I still have about 15 pages to go in this thread but people are really down on the team, specially Babs and Leo.

This guy has it right. Not only are we better, but they are fatigued and beat up as hell.

The Bruins and the league are in for a shock. Once these leafs turn it on, they are nearly unstoppable.

Leafs in Five!

:laugh::laugh: Comedy gold.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Leafs in Five!
If they haven't delivered, then what has our top line delivered?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Besides us, WPG is the team I'm most interested in. I plan to watch and if we don't win the cup, I hope they do.
cool. yea i'll be switching back-and-forth between the pens/flyers & jets/minni as well as watch the kings game tonight. I try to watch all the games i can but it's hard when a lot of them are scheduled for the same start.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Besides us, WPG is the team I'm most interested in. I plan to watch and if we don't win the cup, I hope they do.
Not me. I used to like WPG until the whole Matthews vs Laine narrative where jets and finnish Laine fans ruined my respect for the team. I think they are very good, but I'd rather see Nashville put them out.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Good morning everyone.

One day away.

Who's watching games tonight? Anyone in particular?
Pittsburgh/Philly. Always love when those 2 match up in the playoffs.
Here's hoping Philly drives Crosby nuts. I want to see some good scrums around the net and players losing their minds. I'm hoping every other team beats up on each other so if we win round 1, we are looking at some banged up teams.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Said it before the TDL this team has another gear and I believe they will be bring it. The boys and coach have been saying that they are a confident bunch which gives me some optimism. In an interview of TSN Overdrive Babs said that the Caps pushed the Leafs last year as the series went on (recall we were up 2-1) and I think the boys learned a lot from that series (anybody underestimating playoff experience doesn't understand how valuable it is). If we bring it every game, I think we can wear down the Bruins and take it in 6. If we let them take it to us, then it will be the Bruins in 6 or 7.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
:laugh::laugh: Comedy gold.

If they haven't delivered, then what has our top line delivered?

Wow. Did not expect these responses.

But let me tell you in case you don't know. We didn't have Auston Matthews before last year. Our top line wasn't really in the NHL before last year. Last year as rookies we made the playoffs and managed to push the best regular season team to six games. Kept all games close.

What I'm trying to say is that I see people talking about Bergeron and Marchand and Chara as if they are gods, and our only hope is the 4th line if it weren't for Komarov. That is not the case. They are not gods. Our first line is better than theirs. Our second line is better than theirs. This is not the same team that won the cup.
This team has had as much playoff success in the last three years as we did. Except we are improved greatly.

The Bruins, after winning the cup in 2011:
  • 2012 lost in the first.
  • 2013 came back to form and reached finals (props).
  • 2014 regressed and lost in the second.
  • 2015 regressed more and DNQ.
  • 2016 just as bad and DNQ.
  • 2017 improved and got ousted by the senators in the first.
Would you guys feel much better if I said they didn't deliver in last three of four years, instead of six? Are we that fickle that we miss the point?
This core is not a contender any more.

Never-mind they had a grueling schedule to finish off the season, those five games in hand they had a month ago came back to haunt them so much so that in their last 5 games they managed only one win.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wow. Did not expect these responses.

But let me tell you in case you don't know. We didn't have Auston Matthews before last year. Our top line wasn't really in the NHL before last year. Last year as rookies we made the playoffs and managed to push the best regular season team to six games. Kept all games close.

What I'm trying to say is that I see people talking about Bergeron and Marchand and Chara as if they are gods, and our only hope is the 4th line if it weren't for Komarov. That is not the case. They are not gods. Our first line is better than theirs. Our second line is better than theirs. This is not the same team that won the cup.
This team has had as much playoff success in the last three years as we did. Except we are improved greatly.

The Bruins, after winning the cup in 2011:
  • 2012 lost in the first.
  • 2013 came back to form and reached finals (props).
  • 2014 regressed and lost in the second.
  • 2015 regressed more and DNQ.
  • 2016 just as bad and DNQ.
  • 2017 improved and got ousted by the senators in the first.
Would you guys feel much better if I said they didn't deliver in last three of four years, instead of six? Are we that fickle that we miss the point?
This core is not a contender any more.

Never-mind they had a grueling schedule to finish off the season, those five games in hand they had a month ago came back to haunt them so much so that in their last 5 games they managed only one win.

Many people consider the Bruins top line to be the best in the world. To say they haven't delivered is insulting and blaming team results on them makes no sense. It's even more silly when you bring up past results when the line wasn't even together. And then to say they "can't match" our top line is just over the top arrogance.

Let's keep it real shall we?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not me. I used to like WPG until the whole Matthews vs Laine narrative where jets and finnish Laine fans ruined my respect for the team. I think they are very good, but I'd rather see Nashville put them out.

I hear ya, some of those fans are annoying. I'm going to give the fan base the benefit of the doubt though and take it on faith that it's a few loud idiots who are making them look bad (and TBH the same can be said for our fan base). I'd like to see a Canadian team win and I respect the fact that the people in WPG city support the team as much as any fan base possibly can. I also think Laine's a very exciting player and a cool personality. Would also be cool to see some new blood at the top so to speak, can't think of any other team I'd rather see win besides us, WSH would probably be my second choice or maybe NSH.

Edit - the most important thing though is that MTL won't be winning this year. :laugh:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
TBH I think the teams are close in terms of Dmen, forwards and goalies. Just super close teams overall.

Here are the wild cards IMO:

Boston)
How healthy are they? In terms of who will dress for game one they're close to full health but those guys playing, I suspect they might be banged up a bit and if so, they're not as good as they could be and they may be susceptible to getting injured again. If they were 100% healthy I think they would be clear favourites, not huge favourites but clear favourites nevertheless due to their previous combat experience. As it is though, how close they are to their max potential is anyone's guess and that's the wild card.

Toronto)
How good are we? For a team with so many players with only 6 games of PO experience it's hard to know what to expect. We've had a PO spot all but locked up forever but even with nothing to motivate us we've still played well and we've been one of the best teams in the league in the 2nd half, that's impressive. And we've been winning while basically on cruise control, we haven't been riding our top guns who should all get more ice time against Boston and we're at full health and well rested so we should be able to play at our absolute best. Is it possible that if we've been winning while on cruise control, we can reach a whole new level once the playoffs start and we hit the turbo switch? I think it is possible. I think it's possible that this team is better than anyone thinks and these playoffs will be a coming out party for half a dozen guys on this team and that party will continue right into the Stanley Cup final.

Am I a deluded homer? Maybe, I dunno. I'm not saying we will make it to the final but it wouldn't surprise me at all. And if Boston's guys coming back from injury are at anything less than their best, they could be in big trouble.
All valid points imo and I think Boston will be less that 100% but obviously still a handful.
As for you being a homer; welcome to the club
CTProInd.jpg

Reactions: Gary Nylund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad