Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Trying to fathom why Babcock wants Komarov on the PP. I am in his corner, I believe it's the right call to have him on the 4th line and PK (at least to start the series), but even I can see he has stone hands these days. Perhaps because he's fluent in Finnish insults and standing in front of a Finnish goalie. He of the giant posterior, waving it in front of Rask, might lead to a few distracted moments. We can only hope.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I keep hearing how Boston's Defense is much better than ours, but I don't really see it.
All things considered:
Rielly =< Krug
Gardiner >= McAvoy
Hainsey =< Chara
Dermott >= Grzelcyk
Zaitsev > Holden
Carrick < Miller
Polak = McQuaid

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I keep hearing how Boston's Defense is much better than ours, but I don't really see it.
All things considered:
Rielly =< Krug
Gardiner >= McAvoy
Hainsey =< Chara
Dermott >= Grzelcyk
Zaitsev > Holden
Carrick < Miller
Polak = McQuaid
I'd take Rielly over Krug.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
All things considered:
Rielly =< Krug
Gardiner >= McAvoy
Hainsey =< Chara
Dermott >= Grzelcyk
Zaitsev > Holden
Carrick < Miller
Polak = McQuaid

Rielly is much better than Krug. Krug plays butter soft minutes.

I don’t think their D is that much better than ours, their team defense is better than ours. When you have a guy like Bergeron out there for 20 mins every game, you instantly become a much better team defensively.

Chara is better than Hainsey by a lot. McQuaid is better than Polak as well.

If I had to rank the D in this series:

Rielly
Chara
Gardiner
McAvoy
Krug
Dermott
Hainsey
Zaitsev
McQuaid
Carrick
Grz
Miller
Polak
Holden

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Rielly is much better than Krug. Krug plays butter soft minutes.

Was trying not to be biased ;). Krug nearly got 60P this season. Anyways, point is still valid... our defense doesn't appear much worse than Boston's...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
All things considered:
Rielly =< Krug
Gardiner >= McAvoy
Hainsey =< Chara
Dermott >= Grzelcyk
Zaitsev > Holden
Carrick < Miller
Polak = McQuaid
Lol at gardiner and mcavoy. Mcavoy is no doubt better than him. Id day holden is playing better than zaitsev. Reilly is better than krug though.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Lol at gardiner and mcavoy. Mcavoy is no doubt better than him. Id day holden is playing better than zaitsev. Reilly is better than krug though.

ah, the "no doubt better" defense. How is McAvoy "no doubt" better than Gardiner? May I remind you, Gardiner has looked Norris level in our last two playoff series. I'll wait.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
ah, the "no doubt better" defense. How is McAvoy "no doubt" better than Gardiner? May I remind you, Gardiner has looked Norris level in our last two playoff series. I'll wait.
He's a top pairing dman at the age of 20. Gardener is a 3/4 at 27.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Trying to fathom why Babcock wants Komarov on the PP. I am in his corner, I believe it's the right call to have him on the 4th line and PK (at least to start the series), but even I can see he has stone hands these days. Perhaps because he's fluent in Finnish insults and standing in front of a Finnish goalie. He of the giant posterior, waving it in front of Rask, might lead to a few distracted moments. We can only hope.

He occupies one dman (and tries to disrupt the goalie) while the other 4 move the puck around against the other 3 defenders to create chances.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Losing to Boston a few years ago was the best thing that ever happened to us. It hurt like hell at the time, certainly. But it helped us realize the leadership of Dion and Phil wasn't the answer. Both talented players but not in the role we needed them for. Also showed that Reimer as cute and cuddly as most Leaf fans found him wasn't the answer. Now? We have the answers. 34, 16, 31, 29, 43, 44, 55 are very solid young players for us. An actual nucleus. This is a very tough first round match up. I'm hoping we kick Boston's ass because we owe them and because this will help our nucleus gain valuable experience for the Cups WE will WIN down the road......GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He's a top pairing dman at the age of 20. Gardener is a 3/4 at 27.

Gardiner;
52 points
51.09 ES xGF%
47.68 ES ZSR
49.89 ES CF% QOC

McAvoy;
32 points
53.81% ES xGF%
54.95 ES ZSR
49.60 ES CF% QOC

So Gardiner has more points (McAvoy did play less games), a slightly less expected goals for percentage, but starts in the offensive zone 8% less than McAvoy, while playing similar quality of competition, yet McAvoy is a top pairing guy, but Gardiner is only a 3-4.

They are actually pretty comparable players.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
You have to really be drinking the cool aid if you think Toronto's dmen are remotely close to Boston's dmen. They are not even on the same planet. Chara and Mac are top pair in the nhl. They control all aspects of the game when they are on the ice. They control puck possession, they control defensive zone player positioning on the walls, they can move anyone in league from net area which massively helps out their goalie, they are strong on the breakout and they can help out a little on offence but really the way Boston plays it is not required of their team strategy.

Only way Toronto wins is to deploy a run and gun strategy and outskate the bruins and let their superior skill win them 4 games.

The main issue is same as 2013 and that is when game needs to be finished off can Babcock hold it together. Boston will pressure our defence if we slow down in 3rd period with a heavy forecheck and start the control game on the wall. Chara will come down to crease to play screener. Then we will see how much/how badly the Leafs want it. Freddy will not see the puck. Will our forwards block shots??? Will our defence get intimidated by the big man again??? Babcock will watch tapes i guarantee it BUT what will he do??? I too must admit I am very curious how he will circumvent things. For as much as things have changed some things are exactly the same. This is what will decide things again. The refs will put the whistle away much like last time and let the big boys decide things. Lets hope and pray Chara is not quite as mean and nasty as he was before. Lets hope Hainsey and Polak can man up. That said Go Leafs Go!!!!!!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
All things considered:
Rielly =< Krug
Gardiner >= McAvoy
Hainsey =< Chara
Dermott >= Grzelcyk
Zaitsev > Holden
Carrick < Miller
Polak = McQuaid
Chara is quite a bit better than Hainsey and I'd take Rielly over Krug. Boston suffered a big blow losing Carlo.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Losing to Boston a few years ago was the best thing that ever happened to us. It hurt like hell at the time, certainly. But it helped us realize the leadership of Dion and Phil wasn't the answer. Both talented players but not in the role we needed them for. Also showed that Reimer as cute and cuddly as most Leaf fans found him wasn't the answer. Now? We have the answers. 34, 16, 31, 29, 43, 44, 55 are very solid young players for us. An actual nucleus. This is a very tough first round match up. I'm hoping we kick Boston's ass because we owe them and because this will help our nucleus gain valuable experience for the Cups WE will WIN down the road......GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Borgman?

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Why is Boston's lack of depth such a talking point? Backes and Krejci have had really good years (when they've played), Heinen, Debrusk and Riley Nash have been decent, they added Donato (pretty significant add), Rick Nash and Wingels late in the season. Boston was about the last team I wanted to get but here we are. It's gonna be an absolute great series!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You have to really be drinking the cool aid if you think Toronto's dmen are remotely close to Boston's dmen. They are not even on the same planet. Chara and Mac are top pair in the nhl. They control all aspects of the game when they are on the ice. They control puck possession, they control defensive zone player positioning on the walls, they can move anyone in league from net area which massively helps out their goalie, they are strong on the breakout and they can help out a little on offence but really the way Boston plays it is not required of their team strategy.

Only way Toronto wins is to deploy a run and gun strategy and outskate the bruins and let their superior skill win them 4 games.

The main issue is same as 2013 and that is when game needs to be finished off can Babcock hold it together. Boston will pressure our defence if we slow down in 3rd period with a heavy forecheck and start the control game on the wall. Chara will come down to crease to play screener. Then we will see how much/how badly the Leafs want it. Freddy will not see the puck. Will our forwards block shots??? Will our defence get intimidated by the big man again??? Babcock will watch tapes i guarantee it BUT what will he do??? I too must admit I am very curious how he will circumvent things. For as much as things have changed some things are exactly the same. This is what will decide things again. The refs will put the whistle away much like last time and let the big boys decide things. Lets hope and pray Chara is not quite as mean and nasty as he was before. Lets hope Hainsey and Polak can man up. That said Go Leafs Go!!!!!!

Not even remotely close eh? I'll humbly disagree. Let's start with Cor's post above, can refute the contention that Macavoy and Gardiner are comparable? I'll also step out on a limb here and say that Rielly is much better than Chara.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Chara is quite a bit better than Hainsey and I'd take Rielly over Krug. Boston suffered a big blow losing Carlo.

Most of what I've seen of Chara has been in our games the last couple seasons, but he really looks like he can't handle our speed.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Most of what I've seen of Chara has been in our games the last couple seasons, but he really looks like he can't handle our speed.
He's definitely slowed down but he's still effective due to his size and strength. Having a ridiculous reach and stick length makes up a bit for shortcomings in speed and agility. I do hope we kill him with our skating though. My fear is because it's playoffs he's gonna get away with a lot more clutching and grabbing.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
You have to really be drinking the cool aid if you think Toronto's dmen are remotely close to Boston's dmen. !

Here is a comp of Chara and Gardiner.
This is a three year average, and in my opinion Chara is worse than he was 3 years ago, he is way less mobile, and Gardiner is the same or maybe better.
I'd take Gardiner any day of the week.

Attachments

• Story 1.png
    Story 1.png
    59 KB · Views: 4

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
You have to really be drinking the cool aid if you think Toronto's dmen are remotely close to Boston's dmen.!

Krug and Rielly comp.
Krug generates more offense, but don't let the shot suppression fool you, Rielly takes on the toughest out there, Krug is sheltered. Might give a slight edge to Krug, but really a toss up.

Attachments

• Story 1 (1).png
    Story 1 (1).png
    56.1 KB · Views: 4

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

:laugh: You're going to fit right in.....welcome.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
If there is a Boston advantage re defense, it is that they play it as a team strategy, not that their defensemen are stellar.
Our advantage is speed.
This is the match up I wanted, seemed to me Tampa was our mirror image and too much of a toss up.
I think our speed will win this.
Our other advantage is depth of talent. Bergeron may be the best centre out there for a playoff series. But the Boston corps thins dramatically after their first line. We can outmatch them down the line.
Go Leafs Go!!!1

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
It is NOT about individual comparison over a regular season. This is playoffs it is a totally different being. The Bruins play a game style very suited to the playoffs - short passes, control the walls, never give up possession and clear the net area. They have built a defence suited for that game. They do not care if defence steps up on the offence it is NOT required. So your measring stick stats mean nothing.

I will guarantee you this Rielly and Gardiner will stick closer to bench in 3rd period IF Leafs slow down. I really hope we can put foot down to floor for 3 periods straight but history tends to argue against that premise. Once game shifts to Bruins forecheck game then GAME ON.

We need to get up by a few goals going into 3rd and then keep up the speed game in the 3rd. Go Leafs Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad