Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
wow so much negativity all over the media, I know boston is good, but its seems everything I read or here, we are going to get smoked, I hope we come out flying and stun them!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
wow so much negativity all over the media, I know boston is good, but its seems everything I read or here, we are going to get smoked, I hope we come out flying and stun them!

Meh

Boston is a really good team but so are we so I think it's much closer than that

I'd say 55%-45% towards Boston but it's pretty close and either team could win

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Meh

Boston is a really good team but so are we so I think it's much closer than that

yea im thinking im getting sucked into the main boards to much, than the odd article I read is like saying the leafs dont really have a chance, I should prob stop reading so much and just watch on thursday lol

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Meh

Noodles said it best on Overdrive: It all comes down to goaltending. If we get to Rask early (we're a pretty proficient 1st period offensive team), we can rattle him, and steal a game in Boston. Do that, and it's anybody's series.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Meh

I also think it will be close, but a betting man would put money on the B's.

Our time will come as we mature, draft, and watch more of our prospects join the big club. The B's still have a nice core, that is ready to win now. The true core of the bruins are aging and within the next 2-3 years will be declining heavy.

No shame to losing to a solid well coached team, they will play heavy and cycle hard to the net. I hope we win right now, but the future is ours for sure.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
GF in period 1:
Toronto - 91 (2nd)
Boston - 79 (5th)

GA in period 1:
Toronto - 66 (9th)
Boston - 76 (24th)

Toronto: +25
Boston: +3

Clear edge to Toronto in period 1, which should be huge for us.
Boston does have a big edge in 2nd and 3rd period goal differential (though we're not exactly slouches, especially in the 3rd), but I think it can be attributed to the fact that they're mostly trailing in games.

Overall I expect us to get a ton of leads, and hopefully we can hold them

Reactions: kesleaf

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
GF in period 1:
Toronto - 91 (2nd)
Boston - 79 (5th)

GA in period 1:
Toronto - 66 (9th)
Boston - 76 (24th)

Toronto: +25
Boston: +3

Clear edge to Toronto in period 1, which should be huge for us.
Boston does have a big edge in 2nd and 3rd period goal differential (though we're not exactly slouches, especially in the 3rd), but I think it can be attributed to the fact that they're mostly trailing in games.

Overall I expect us to get a ton of leads, and hopefully we can hold them

I know Alerion said we were dead middle of the pack for holding leads trailing after 2.
(i know we've lost 2-3 games all year trailing after two). so i honestly think we SHOULD be back.

i don't remember our comeback rate.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I know Alerion said we were dead middle of the pack for holding leads trailing after 2.
(i know we've lost 2-3 games all year trailing after two). so i honestly think we SHOULD be back.

i don't remember our comeback rate.
I thought we were 1st or 2nd in the league in winning when we had the lead after the first though. Our comeback rate is probably pretty bad though

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
TSN panel has Boston winning series by votes 3–1 . At least Andie P picked the Leafs.

Given most recent events:

#MeToo; equal pay; women speaking up while men with high posts are shutting their yap

assuming the trend continues into picking winners:

I'd weigh Andi's vote much higher than other three baboons combined ;)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
:biglaugh: Call someone a 12 year old and cringy for calling yourself a fan boy after said person replied to your post about living in ignorant bubbles & no hope for them, and now you're calling their 2nd reply a tantrum when it was nothing of the sort. This may be my last reply interacting with you because of it, clearly you can't handle yourself without taking random pot shots even at the age of 35+.

And no, appealing to authority isn't a good argument when you provide no other factual evidence to support it. Here's my factual evidence for believing Johnsson playing over Komarov gives us a better chance to win:

Now onto your points

#1 so you admit he's slowed down, have you actually seen him be the elite forechecker & grinder for anything more than a couple games this season? There's not much reason to believe a player who isn't known as a top playoff performer will on the turn of the dime play the type of game he had in his prime with the season he's had. But this is a what if so we can't decide on it until we see it play out in game 1.

#2 & 3 So if you show that you've disagreed with Babcock before and that you essentially agree on at least Kapanen being a mistake by Babcock, why are you deferring to someone who has made mistakes before as if they're the be all end all opinion on this topic and can't be disagreed with?

#4 literally haven't mentioned Marchand once. You're mistaking me for another poster. But Johnsson PKs, and while I will agree Komarov is likely the better PKer than him, the difference in PK ability is minuscule compared to the difference in PP ability on the 2nd PP unit so just based on a goal scored is the same as a goal saved that seals the deal for me, without even looking at the very noticeable difference in ES impact. And Plekanec already pisses off Marchand, although not to act like we should be super worried about a player who has choked in Playoffs since his 2011 playoff run.

#5 this is just weird to me. So you agree it's time for Johnsson to play over Komarov, but not until 4 to 28 games have been played this season? If it's over some experience we're getting from a 1 point in 13 playoff games Komarov, I'd like for you to search up highlights of Kapanen in the Washington series after he only had 8 NHL games to his name.

#6 likely skates just as well as Komarov does now, but either way, that's pointlessly arguing over who the best #13 forward is, when Johnsson is definitely in our top 12.

#7 So wings fans can't be trusted to have a correct opinion of their coach of 10 years' faults? Well, ok. You can have that opinion. Would be wasting my time arguing to change an opinion on something like that.

I doubt everyone wants this thread filled with going over the Johnsson > Komarov argument though, so won't spend more time on it

#GudPro

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
As a ma'adirtin underdog its always the better way to at it! Underdog never have pressure, we might be like the 48% favourite to win, but mayne that underdog no pressure way is the purest dirt out there. I always want exactly that when I go the big show to win. Then just take the trophy home and bounce on that thang real hard.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
The media is always negative. They’ve had very little to be down about for a while. A Boston series is a gold mine for them. Can constantly reference a series from half a decade ago and presume that the Leafs will be unable to handle the physical Bruins. As if a skilled team in Pittsburgh hasn’t managed to win back to back cups.

But whatever. Doesn’t change what the team has to do and that’s win. Just do what they do best and let the media look stupid.

DelGriffith

Oct 13, 2008
St. Catharines
I also looked at that leafs lineup from 2013 and puked everywhere. Boston’s first line is dynamite after that? Rick Nash? David backes? Chara at 41? Krejci had a horrible year. Our top 3 lines roll em. Let’s go.

Reactions: kesleaf

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I also looked at that leafs lineup from 2013 and puked everywhere. Boston’s first line is dynamite after that? Rick Nash? David backes? Chara at 41? Krejci had a horrible year. Our top 3 lines roll em. Let’s go.
Krejci had a fine year. Boston's forward depth is very underrated

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Doesn't really matter. In 2013 we were supposed to get swept and it went 7 games, and we're actually good now. Last year we were supposed to lose in 4 or 5 and it went to 6 games with 5 going to OT. This is going to be a very close series and it could go either way.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I agree Kiwi.

Yep

yea im thinking im getting sucked into the main boards to much, than the odd article I read is like saying the leafs dont really have a chance, I should prob stop reading so much and just watch on thursday lol

The problem with the main boards is the amount of people that hate us and can't give the team the respect it deserves, we're bloody good and we'll give Boston everything they can handle win or lose

I also think it will be close, but a betting man would put money on the B's.

Our time will come as we mature, draft, and watch more of our prospects join the big club. The B's still have a nice core, that is ready to win now. The true core of the bruins are aging and within the next 2-3 years will be declining heavy.

No shame to losing to a solid well coached team, they will play heavy and cycle hard to the net. I hope we win right now, but the future is ours for sure.

Boston is good but there certainly not unbeatable, if we can hold our own against the Bergeron line (easier said than done) we're going to be in a good spot, also getting through those bad periods we're inclined to have now and then without killing us will be huge to

Noodles said it best on Overdrive: It all comes down to goaltending. If we get to Rask early (we're a pretty proficient 1st period offensive team), we can rattle him, and steal a game in Boston. Do that, and it's anybody's series.

Andersen going on a heater would be huge to, he's proven when he's on he can win games singlehandedly, frustrating Boston offensively and taking advantage of our chances is a great recipe for success

Reactions: rubous

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I thought we were 1st or 2nd in the league in winning when we had the lead after the first though. Our comeback rate is probably pretty bad though

Leafs record this season based on situations:

SituationRecord
Scoring first39-8-3
Opposition scores first10-18-4
Outshooting opp.16-11-4
Outshot by opponent29-13-3
1 goal games13-6
Leading after 131-5-1
Trailing after 14-15-1
Tied after 114-6-5
Leading after 231-3-2
Trailing after 25-20-2
Tied after 213-3-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Leafs record this season based on situations:

SituationRecord
Scoring first39-8-3
Opposition scores first10-18-4
Outshooting opp.16-11-4
Outshot by opponent29-13-3
1 goal games13-6
Leading after 131-5-1
Trailing after 14-15-1
Tied after 114-6-5
Leading after 231-3-2
Trailing after 25-20-2
Tied after 213-3-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
yikes. Luckily we're so good at scoring 1st and Boston sucks at it

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Maple Leafs Scoring and Shots by period 2017-18

PSX_20180410_232808.jpg

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
Remember, it was just like this the last time we played Boston. Didn't turn out to be a beatdown that time so I wouldn't worry too much about the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad