Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Then Hyman should of been rewarded with overtime play and powerplay time this season over Komorov. Hyman's play around the boards and entering the zone is how Komorov should work every shift, yet he doesn't.
I've thought about this a lot this year - The only reason I can think of for guys like Hyman, Brown or Kapanen not getting more PP time is that they're young guys who are already tasked with the PK, and Babcock doesn't want to over-work. Leo's a vet who Babcock can run into the ground if he wants to.

I don't know if that's actually where it comes from or not, but I do believe we've been looking really heavily into player usage from a sports science perspective, and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if that mentality was playing a role in that decision. My hope is that now that we're in the Playoffs, we see the training wheels come off some of our young players a bit.

Reactions: glue

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I can't think of a single injury on the current Leafs that could hurt the Leafs as much
now. Not Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, etc. Not even Andersen.

We have much better depth now than the team in 2013, no doubt about it. But, an injury to any of the bolded above :crossfing will definitely 'hurt'. Matthews and Marner respectively drive their lines. These guys are all our young horses. They can change the game in an instant. Any combination of a loss to one of those guys and our chances drop significantly.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Players To Watch

Kasperi Kapanen – Connor Brown quietly only tallied 28 points this season, and the Leafs will be counting on the Bozak line to score at 5v5, not just on the PP. They might be shifting Kapanen up the lineup at times for his speed and to shake things up. He already has a few playoff goals under his belt and a big goal against Pittsburgh last season to qualify. Against a slower Bruins team, he could really stand out for the speed he brings to the game. He will also get time on the penalty kill, which will make his role important, no matter what. Down the stretch, the fourth line has made a continual impact in limited minutes.

Leo Komarov
– Maybe not for the reason you are thinking, though. He’s going to play a big role on the penalty kill and in defensive minutes in general. The questions will be, how much does he play, and where is he deployed? Babcock has been fond of putting Komarov with Marleau and Kadri for this matchup, and I think we’ll see it again in this series, but how often?

Kevan Miller
– With Brandon Carlo out, Miller is going to slide into the top four spot alongside Krug primarily and see big minutes against the Leafs’ top two lines. He’s having a steady season and does have some mobility to his game to go along with being 6’2. How he handles the minutes will be a really important for the Bruins to have any chance.

Danton Heinen
– Nobody is really talking about this guy across the league, but he just finished up a 47-point rookie season. Heinen has size (6’1), skill, and the Bruins are going to rely on him to help their power play and provide offensive depth in order to compete with the Leafs’ deep complement of forwards. You know Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak and Krejci will be good, but the Bruins will need depth scoring to beat the Leafs.
Prediction

Leafs in 7. Yep. I just think they are deeper, a little more skilled, and speed kills. It’s very close, though.

Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Boston Bruins Round 1 Preview: Matchups, Special Teams, Players to Watch

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
BOSTON vs. TORONTO
The Pick:
Boston in six.
Why: First and foremost the Maple Leafs have to find a way to contain the best line in hockey, Boston’s trio of Brad Marchand, Patrice Bergeron and David Pastrnak. If they can somehow manage that, there is a chance to take advantage of depth further down the lineup because even though the Bruins have received quality production from their rookies, there is at least some uncertainty going into the postseason with the likes of freshmen Jake DeBrusk, Danton Heinen and Ryan Donato all in top nine roles and it’s looking like third-line centre Riley Nash may not be ready for Game One.
Toronto was competitive in their first-round loss to Washington last season because they could be relentless on the attack, with impressive scoring depth, and that remains a strong suit, but with Boston typically posting superior shot differentials, Toronto either needs Frederik Andersen to hold strong in net, or they need one of their young stars (Auston Matthews, William Nylander or Mitch Marner) to rise to the occasion and have a big series.
The farce of all this is that the Bruins and Maple Leafs were ranked third and fifth, respectively, in my analytics-based rankings at the end of the season, so whichever team ends up on the wrong end of the series will have a massively disappointing first-round exit.
https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-2018-playoff-picks-1.1052694

HeresJOHNNY

Jul 5, 2010
Leafs in 6

Game 1 - Leafs come out flying: TOR 5 - BOS 2
Game 2 - Bruins truck Leafs at home BOS 6 - TOR 1
Game 3 - Leafs comeback performance TOR 4 - BOS 2
Game 4 - Leafs take stranglehold TOR 3 - BOS 2 (1OT)
Game 5 - Boston comes out desperate BOS 4 - TOR 0
Game 6 - Andersen steals final game & series TOR 3 - BOS 1

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Leafs in 6

Game 1 - Leafs come out flying: TOR 5 - BOS 2
Game 2 - Bruins truck Leafs at home BOS 6 - TOR 1
Game 3 - Leafs comeback performance TOR 4 - BOS 2
Game 4 - Leafs take stranglehold TOR 3 - BOS 2 (1OT)
Game 5 - Boston comes out desperate BOS 4 - TOR 0
Game 6 - Andersen steals final game & series TOR 3 - BOS 1

I highly doubt there will be those many blowouts. But I love the optimism! :D

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Whats the problem with Komarov in the line up?

We need someone to piss off the other team the same way Marchand will piss off the Leafs

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That's pretty dramatic, which is becoming a hallmark of your's. Komarov thrives in the playoff environment. His role is front and centre.

Komorov's not a top 9 calibre forward and putting him up against one of the best wingers in the game isn't going to go well and it's mind blowing you actually thinking it would

If I'm dramatic your still pretending this is Komorov of last year, here's a hint he isn't so stop pretending he is a viable option to shutdown Marchand

Last edited:

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Easy everyone, Leo is due!
When the beard grows back so does his superpower
tumblr_m31h6sJEH21ql1db2o1_1280.jpg

11-leo-komarov-leafs.jpg

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls

We need someone to piss off the other team the same way Marchand will piss off the Leafs

Last season you may have some sort of a point. This season I cannot recall a single instance of Komorov pissing off a single opponent. There has been no momentum hits, there has been no relentless puck battle along the boards.

Reactions: NiftyMits

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

We don't have anyone anywhere near our roster with the ability to piss off another team, both on the ice and on the scoreboard, that Marchand does. I hate the guy with a fiery passion, but he's basically unrivaled in the game right now in terms of combined agitation + skill.

The best way to beat Marchand, in my opinion, is to stifle him as much as possible offensively, and to ignore him at all costs otherwise. If we get caught up playing the B's game, they're in great shape.

Reactions: ACC1224

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

he sucks and he is barely engaged in all that stuff (being a rat). no way will he piss of the other team

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So many people will watch this series.
Jets fans are whining they are not on CBC.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
kadri.vs.Boston.2017.2018.jpg

I feel Kadri will play a big role in the series.
If his line does well +/- wise I think the Leafs can win.

The Kadri line has 5 power play goals vs Boston.

FIVE !!!

in 4 games !

Wow.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We have much better depth now than the team in 2013, no doubt about it. But, an injury to any of the bolded above :crossfing will definitely 'hurt'. Matthews and Marner respectively drive their lines. These guys are all our young horses. They can change the game in an instant. Any combination of a loss to one of those guys and our chances drop significantly.

As far as I'm concerned, even if lose Dermott our cup chances go down to near zero.

So many people will watch this series.
Jets fans are whining they are not on CBC.

I'd whine too if I was them. And you know they don't play on the same days we do right, CBC is showing a series between two US teams instead.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Pastrnak as two Powerplay goals against us this year.
Would like to see that stay at 2.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm humbled and honored to have been drafted to HFLeafs for the playoffs. The opportunity to be part of two historic franchises is truly once in a lifetime.

I want to thank @iSophagus and all the Leafs reps for taking a chance on me.

With the Rangers having played over 100 playoff games since the lockout, as well as being a lifelong Yankees fan and part of two Superbowl wins, I think I can add some veteran leadership to this board, as well as a posts/60 over 1.00, cause I know @zeke likes his analytics :D

Whatever the boards needs me to do - be it corsi, complaining, memes; I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win and make the board dank.

I'm excited to be working with stars such as Auston Matthews and Morgan Rielly as well as my dude @CantLoseWithMatthews

I just hope I'm here until June.

Go Leafs Go!

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I'd whine too if I was them. And you know they don't play on the same days we do right, CBC is showing a series between two US teams instead.

Yeah, definitely sucks for Jets fans. They have such a good team and they gotta listen to Romanuk and Galley on SN. But at the same time, I understand why CBC is showing the Pens and Flyers. They arguably have the most Canadian players on their teams along with Mr. Crosby. When has CBC ever not aired a Pens playoff game? On top, its the battle of Pennsylvania which will draw a huge contingent of fans. Better ratings would result too.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm humbled and honored to have been drafted to HFLeafs for the playoffs. The opportunity to be part of two historic franchises is truly once in a lifetime.

I want to thank @iSophagus and all the Leafs reps for taking a chance on me.

With the Rangers having played over 100 playoff games since the lockout, as well as being a lifelong Yankees fan and part of two Superbowl wins, I think I can add some veteran leadership to this board, as well as a posts/60 over 1.00, cause I know @zeke likes his analytics :D

Whatever the boards needs me to do - be it corsi, complaining, memes; I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win and make the board dank.

I'm excited to be working with stars such as Auston Matthews and Morgan Rielly as well as my dude @CantLoseWithMatthews

I just hope I'm here until June.

Go Leafs Go!
Welcome aboard my friend!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad