Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Let's. Do. This!

gh1eVnO.jpg

Tickets are really disappointing this playoff season.
I'm guessing StubHub wasn't cheap?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Let's not kid ourselves, this narrative that has started today that Boston is a one line team is pure bs, they are deep.

Not really, they're not deep, but they're not a one line team either. Obviously that top line is monstrous, but there's a HUGE drop off after that. Krejci can still carry a line, but their 2nd and 3rd lines don't come anywhere near ours.

Who does the Bergeron line matchup against ? If it's the Matthews line, then the Kadri line will likely get a matchup vs Krejci..leaving JVR-Bozak-Brown against their 3rd line, not being a dick but Bostons 3rd line doesn't even come close to that.

Boston is the more physical and stronger team, something that's so important in the playoffs, but we easily have the deepest forward group in the entire NHL, Boston is going to have a tough time matching up. And likewise we are going to have a huge challenge trying to shut down that Bergeron line, 3 elite players, expecting Babcock to throw Kadri's line out there against them on home ice. But that has been the best line in hockey this season.

Depth and goaltending will decide the series. We all know what Rask/Andy & Bergeron/Matthews lines are capable of. Both teams need the depth/role players to step up. I remember Shaq talking about depth in the nba and it's so true. He always said he never won the championship because of him and Kobe, but because of guys like Derek Fisher, the role guys that stepped up. You know what your stars bring to the table and you expect that, but you need the role guys to pitch in.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Not really, they're not deep, but they're not a one line team either. Obviously that top line is monstrous, but there's a HUGE drop off after that. Krejci can still carry a line, but their 2nd and 3rd lines don't come anywhere near ours.

Who does the Bergeron line matchup against ? If it's the Matthews line, then the Kadri line will likely get a matchup vs Krejci..leaving JVR-Bozak-Brown against their 3rd line, not being a dick but Bostons 3rd line doesn't even come close to that.

Boston is the more physical and stronger team, something that's so important in the playoffs, but we easily have the deepest forward group in the entire NHL, Boston is going to have a tough time matching up. And likewise we are going to have a huge challenge trying to shut down that Bergeron line, 3 elite players, expecting Babcock to throw Kadri's line out there against them on home ice. But that has been the best line in hockey this season.

Depth and goaltending will decide the series. We all know what Rask/Andy & Bergeron/Matthews lines are capable of. Both teams need the depth/role players to step up. I remember Shaq talking about depth in the nba and it's so true. He always said he never won the championship because of him and Kobe, but because of guys like Derek Fisher, the role guys that stepped up. You know what your stars bring to the table and you expect that, but you need the role guys to pitch in.
You could easily argue they are deeper at center. Hey, I love our chances, just don't fool yourself into believing we shut down one line we win.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
A healthy Marner this post-season, remember he had mono last year around this time and we still had one hell of a series against the caps. He's been pretty dominant against Boston in his first 2 years, he will be the mvp for us in the first round (just my prediction)

This - many forget he got sick last year, lost quite a bit of weight (he's already a pretty scrony guy), and never really recovered for the final few weeks of the regular season + playoffs.

He's and Kadri are two players that I'd circle as possible X-factors in this series.

You know Matthews / Nylander / Andersen are going to bring it. If they can get significant contributions from lower in the lineup, they are going to give Boston one hell of a test

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Perhaps analysts see peg series with injured wild as sure sweep in 4 games and then schedule spots are empty for 3 evenings. Pit-phi series could go 7, so whey will get more games, better ratings and whole lot more of ads revenue.

I have no idea how these things work but if a series ended in 4, couldn't they just pick up another series at that point?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
leaving JVR-Bozak-Brown against their 3rd line, not being a dick but Bostons 3rd line doesn't even come close to that.
Their third line might very well be Heinen - Nash - Backes.

That's 121 points of decent to superb two-way players against our 125 point line with only one forward with a decent two-way game.

How don't they come close? I see a disadvantage to us.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Which is precisely why, over the longrun, I don't think the Leafs beat the Bruins in a 7 game series.

Might win a few games, but I fully expect, much like last season's series against the Capitals, for the forecheck to eventually wear down the Toronto blueline.
yeah but our D was a lot weaker last year. Dermott and Hainsey in for Hunwick and Marincin will be huge

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We are better equipped to handle the grind of playoff hockey than we were last year, but I agree that if we get lulled into that style of play for long stretches, it will definitely be in Boston's favor.

If we win this series, it will be due to our speed, special teams, and goaltending.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Best way to shut down Bergeron at home is to make sure one of Komarov/Kadri/Plekanec is out there doing everything they can to get Marchand to retaliate and take a penalty.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Their third line might very well be Heinen - Nash - Backes.

That's 121 points of decent to superb two-way players against our 125 point line with only one forward with a decent two-way game.

How don't they come close? I see a disadvantage to us.

Nash is recovering from a concussion and is wearing a special visor to cut out the glare-it doesn't sound like he will be ready for the start and if he is he will be behind the eight ball in terms of meshing with his linemates etc.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Two very good teams. Flip a coin. Hoping Babcocks preparation makes the difference. Although I couldn’t stand watching komorov on the 4th line and PP. Andreas brings a different more exciting element. But maybe playoffs are exactly the time we need a guy like Komorov. At least that is what I am trying to convince myself. Komorov is a line killer

Plek and komorov bring next to no offensive threat to the 4th line. New season begins Thursday

Reactions: Pi

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Let's not kid ourselves, this narrative that has started today that Boston is a one line team is pure bs, they are deep.

They are definitely not a one line team. One line teams don’t score as many goals as they did this season.

I’d say that Kadri, Marleau and Marner are better than their second line. Third line is even and fourth line is about even as well.

Their first line is better than ours but I wouldn’t count out Nylander and Matthews out.

Their scoring depth vanishes real quick though. 30+ goal scorers on their top line and the next best guy has 17 goals.

Leafs: 36, 34, 32, 27, 22, 20 and then a bunch of guys between 10-15 goals.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
This going to be a legendary series and y'all can bank on that there. So many characters and experienced players warring it up real hard and so many youngsters taking their chances and dominating the world. We already got the power, the money and women so now we needs to get that cup. That's real right there.

Bergeron one of my favourite players but Kadri even more so. He'll fire it up and goon it up real hard thursday and y'all gon see to that. Kadri and Komarov will step up their game so much y'all ain't even seen that kind of dirt rigth there. And y'all thought Polak was hard on the reg.season......... mayne: Y'all ain't seen nothing yet. He finna twerk that thang off.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
They are definitely not a one line team. One line teams don’t score as many goals as they did this season.

I’d say that Kadri, Marleau and Marner are better than their second line. Third line is even and fourth line is about even as well.

Their first line is better than ours but I wouldn’t count out Nylander and Matthews out.

Their scoring depth vanishes real quick though. 30+ goal scorers on their top line and the next best guy has 17 goals.

Leafs: 36, 34, 32, 27, 22, 20 and then a bunch of guys between 10-15 goals.
Agree. The key will be the Kadri line, if the top two lines cancel each other out, they will be the difference. JVR is a real X factor too.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Coming out of Boston with one win and no injuries would be a win.

Hope Lady Luck is on our side.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I was not particularly impressed with the Leafs' penalty kill struggling as the season came to a close. The Bruins were 9th overall in the league in terms of power play opportunities and it might just be these special teams that put the games out of reach. Knocking on wood obviously...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad