Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Bruins fan here. Their recent bottom 6 is going to be nothing like what it has been recently with players coming back from injury. Nobody knows what the actual line-up will be because they've never had all forwards playing at the same time since Rick Nash was acquired.
Thanks for the info.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
One thing that worries me is our third line. They've been good because they have been feeding on opposing teams depth now without Marner on it, as moving him off the line meant teams didn't match against them as much. Now they'll likely suit up against a line of DeBrusk-Krejci-Backes, and I am very pessimistic about that matchup.

I don't understand this overconfidence in our depth. Bruins are one of the few teams in the league that can match us in that regard. I might have seen a mismatch of fourth lines if we kept that dominant line together, but otherwise I don't think we have much of an advantage in that regard. And even that is highly doubtful given that they are likely to have Riley Nash on their fourth line.

I agree regarding your overconfidence comment but can't say I follow exactly your breakdown here.

Why would kreijci and backes get matched against our 3rd line and then Riley Nash on the 4th? Someone has to play the 2nd line center. If not, you're basically saying you're gonna allow either the Kadri or Matthews line to dominate their matchup.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Key is to keep Matthews away from Bergeron at home and will need contributions from the 2nd and 3rd lines when we’re in Boston. Any points from Matthews in Boston should be seen as a bonus

Obviously you'd rather keep your best offense away from their best defensive players but at the same time, just wanna say, I don't subscribe to this prevailing though out there (not saying you, just in general) that Matthews cannot play head to head vs Bergeron and win.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I agree regarding your overconfidence comment but can't say I follow exactly your breakdown here.

Why would kreijci and backes get matched against our 3rd line and then Riley Nash on the 4th? Someone has to play the 2nd line center. If not, you're basically saying you're gonna allow either the Kadri or Matthews line to dominate their matchup.
I thought Donato might play center on a line with Rick Nash and Heinen, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Either way, by Trap Jesus lineup above they'll have a very strong line to match against Bozak.

Obviously you'd rather keep your best offense away from their best defensive players but at the same time, just wanna say, I don't subscribe to this prevailing though out there (not saying you, just in general) that Matthews cannot play head to head vs Bergeron and win.
He could, but it would be amazing. Bergeron is the best head-to-head center in the league, and by quite a bit. Most top centers tend to play rather even against each other. Bergeron just dominates as usual.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Not good enough. We get swept you stop posting for the entire offseason and the entire season next year. Ditto for me.
There's no fun in things that can easily be worked around by making yet another account bud. (As cotton pointed out it may be expected) Literally no one goes for 1.25 season breaks or ownerships of accounts in bets, why so srs mr interactif? Certified idiot offer still stands

Last edited:
Reactions: Brock Radunske

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
I don't think we can rely on our PP as a main weapon. In 2011, the Canucks had the best PP and tried to draw penalties any way they could, even resorting to diving, embellishment, and turning the other cheek. The refs were having none of it. Thankfully we have the horses to beat them at even strenght.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I thought Donato might play center on a line with Rick Nash and Heinen, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Either way, by Trap Jesus lineup above they'll have a very strong line to match against Bozak.

He could, but it would be amazing. Bergeron is the best head-to-head center in the league, and by quite a bit. Most top centers tend to play rather even against each other. Bergeron just dominates as usual.

Alright cool I see the thought now. Yeah their 3rd line, assuming the Nashes are there will be good. I think bozak JVR and brown can hold their own in that matchup though. Would be nice if we could get a bit more out of Brown this post season than we did regular season though.

Not really disagreeing about Bergeron it's just people speak of him like he is unbeatable, which is far from the case. Also people put waaaay too much stock into the one game that he and Matthews actually played each other all year.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
If you're looking at forward line matchups, there's only one game you can go by this year, and it was with the Bruins dictating the matchups in Boston (February 3). Matthews didn't play any of the other ones, and I think the center spines were almost completely intact for both teams in the Feb 3rd game (except for Plekanec).

Bergeron (Heinen, Pastrnak) heavily matched against Matthews (Hyman, Nylander)
Krejci (DeBrusk, Spooner) played mostly against Bozak (JVR, Brown) and a decent amount against Moore and Kapanen
Riley Nash (Schaller, Backes) heavily matched against Kadri (Marleau, Marner)
Kuraly (Vatrano, Czarnik) played mostly against Kapanen and Komarov, no real matching though

From the Bruins angle, it looks like they only really care about putting Bergeron on Matthews and Riley Nash on the Kadri line. I think Nash has been the main reason (among forwards) for a successful season by the Bruins outside of the Bergeron line. Easily the 2nd best defensive forward on the team, filled in well when Bergeron went down, and has chipped in offensively as well. Contract year so he has an extra incentive as well.

No idea what the Leafs will do in Toronto as no Matthews in those games along with no Plekanec completely changes everything. For as long as I can remember though, Leafs have loved to put Kadri out against Bergeron.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Matthews can play head to head with Bergeron and win. In fact we’ll need that to happen if we want to win the series. Well just need the other lines to pick up the slack when we’re in Boston when Matthews is all tied up with Bergeron

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't think we can rely on our PP as a main weapon. In 2011, the Canucks had the best PP and tried to draw penalties any way they could, even resorting to diving, embellishment, and turning the other cheek. The refs were having none of it. Thankfully we have the horses to beat them at even strenght.

the thing with our powerplay is - it doesn't take that much to score on it. (like 12 seconds). and the leafs already know they don't draw them. the issues last season was that our powerplay (2nd best just like this year) was the worst in the playoffs, i think we had like 2-3 pp goals in the whole series).

when we get them - we need to capitalize on them quickly.
our PK was roughly top ten (it's about 11-12 now, but we were rotating PKers in and out the last week and a bit so that oesn't surprise me).

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
f*** the bruins. Dirty ass bums. Bruins fans convinced they actually a tough team. They one of the softest teams in the NHL now a days.

They all suck off what Jack edwards is feeding them though, so it's natural they think they cant be touched

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So the B's lost on purpose so they could face us...be careful what you wish for Boston.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Clam Chowder :)

chowdere chowdere? its Chowdah
93ad82037c38aad0f66887e3756d5e04.jpg

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I really, really doubt this. For one, it makes no sense that they would want us over the Devils. They are pretty much like us, just worse. And secondly, if they didn't want to win they wouldn't have stepped up their game in the third.

Uhh.. its a fact because it's my opinion ... :D

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Matthews can play head to head with Bergeron and win. In fact we’ll need that to happen if we want to win the series. Well just need the other lines to pick up the slack when we’re in Boston when Matthews is all tied up with Bergeron
he can, but I doubt it. We're really not well off if we need that to happen

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
he can, but I doubt it. We're really not well off if we need that to happen

Yeah I don’t expect Matthews to win the match up against Bergeron. I wouldn’t even bet on Crosby to do well against Bergeron head to head.

We just have to ensure that the rest of our depth is good enough to beat theirs.

Win Game 1 and we get to dictate the match ups at home and try and close things out in 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad