Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I could see Babs trying to roll Pleks' line against Marchand's towards the end of Marchand's lines shift a few times a game .. Catch them while they're tired and try to irritate him.

I can't see Babs NOT getting Komarov out against Marchand a few times to get him riled up.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
This series is where we see how the Pleks trade works out. I have reserved judgement to this point, but this is where we need him to step up and do what he does best which is apparently drive Marchand nuts.
It’s not Marchand he’ll drive nuts, it’s Krejci.

It’s so odd since in International play, they are teammates.

Google Krejci-Pleky fight.

Montreal’s announcer called Krejci Noted Tough Guy David Krejci. Hilarious to this day because Krejci shows little emotion on ice.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Their third line might very well be Heinen - Nash - Backes.

That's 121 points of decent to superb two-way players against our 125 point line with only one forward with a decent two-way game.

How don't they come close? I see a disadvantage to us.

Nash isn't playing

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It’s not Marchand he’ll drive nuts, it’s Krejci.

It’s so odd since in International play, they are teammates.

Google Krejci-Pleky fight.

Montreal’s announcer called Krejci Noted Tough Guy David Krejci. Hilarious to this day because Krejci shows little emotion on ice.
frankly I think he'll just drive Leafs fans nuts
I just hope he can be a solid defensive/possession player and stabilize the 4th line

Reactions: hotpaws

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Y2ZGoIV.png

Lets do this. Leafs in 6.
Hi. Would you mind if I use this in the GDT I’m making for the game?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Nash isn't playing
Both Rick and Riley are expected back Thursday.

Sean Kuraly is back as well and he’s expected to go back to centering the 4th line.

We will know more when they resume practice tomorrow.

They had a much needed a day off away from each other today. Our schedule was a nightmare in March with 2 long road trips.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He drives me crazy but it would be the playoffs without us playing him.

Has he regressed that much?
I think he's good, but a lot of Leafs fans are pretty unhappy with his complete lack of offense. Playing Komarov with him doesn't help matters

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Both Rick and Riley are expected back Thursday.

Sean Kuraly is back as well and he’s expected to go back to centering the 4th line.

We will know more when they resume practice tomorrow.

They had a much needed a day off away from each other today. Our schedule was a nightmare in March with 2 long road trips.

:(

Good to hear they're not hurt, bad to hear it against us. I'm not even concerned with Rick Nash to be honest, as weird as it is Riley is going to have the bigger impact.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Hi. Would you mind if I use this in the GDT I’m making for the game?

I don’t think it’s his art, I’ve seen it here before. Go right ahead.

If you find out who made it, let me know! I’d love to know if there is more.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
:(

Good to hear they're not hurt, bad to hear it against us. I'm not even concerned with Rick Nash to be honest, as weird as it is Riley is going to have the bigger impact.
I never thought I’d be saying Riley Nash is a key player for us.

He’s our Kelly/Peverly who surprised everyone in 2011 vs the Habs and Lightning

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think he's good, but a lot of Leafs fans are pretty unhappy with his complete lack of offense. Playing Komarov with him doesn't help matters

Plus he’s kind of set up to fail offensively. He’s got 23% offensive zone starts. He just isn’t brought here to produce offense. Anything he gives us offensively is basically gold.

filthyMitz

Feb 5, 2018
Indiana
Babcock gives the Leafs an edge, but he's not a miracle worker. He can't make his brain dead top 2 dmen (Reilly and Gardiner) understand situational hockey. Chara, Krug, and Mcavoy can all process the game a lot quicker than our 2 "studs". Goaltending is a wash. Both are quality goalies, and Freddy will show up.
Congratulations on being my first ever ignored user!!!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Plus he’s kind of set up to fail offensively. He’s got 23% offensive zone starts. He just isn’t brought here to produce offense. Anything he gives us offensively is basically gold.
I never expected to hear this about. Maybe he’ll surprise us all.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I don’t think it’s his art, I’ve seen it here before. Go right ahead.

If you find out who made it, let me know! I’d love to know if there is more.
Thanks! Will do!

Have a good night all!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
yeah exactly. when he's with Leivo or Johnsson he's a great stabilizing force and I'm happy to have him. When he's with Komarov it kinda neuters Kapanen so it's a bit frustrating. if Babs wants full defense on that line he should switch Brown and Kapanen

Reactions: saffronleaf

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
yeah exactly. when he's with Leivo or Johnsson he's a great stabilizing force and I'm happy to have him. When he's with Komarov it kinda neuters Kapanen so it's a bit frustrating

I think next season will be a lot more exciting in terms of lineups. Babcock has no choice but to play his best players. He optimized his lineups around Game 50-60. Till then, he firmly believed that Matt freaking Martin was an important player on this team. It’s funny how the people here that defend all his lineup decisions turned on Matt Martin in the lineup as soon as Babcock decided it was the end of Martin.

Same thing will happen with Komarov and Polak. Johnsson would make me feel a lot more comfortable about this series. Yes it’s just a 4th line role but role players play a big part on winning teams.

When Komarov is on the ice, I don’t expect that 4th line to score at all. Not even by luck.

When Johnsson and Kapanen were on the ice, they made every shift count and looked dangerous and at the very least tired defenders out with their speed.

I’m sure Babcock will realize this as the series goes on. I just hope it’s not too late before he does.

At the moment, we have to watch Komarov be in the lineup because he’s a man and Johnsson is not.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think next season will be a lot more exciting in terms of lineups. Babcock has no choice but to play his best players. He optimized his lineups around Game 50-60. Till then, he firmly believed that Matt freaking Martin was an important player on this team. It’s funny how the people here that defend all his lineup decisions turned on Matt Martin in the lineup as soon as Babcock decided it was the end of Martin.

Same thing will happen with Komarov and Polak. Johnsson would make me feel a lot more comfortable about this series. Yes it’s just a 4th line role but role players play a big part on winning teams.

When Komarov is on the ice, I don’t expect that 4th line to score at all. Not even by luck.

When Johnsson and Kapanen were on the ice, they made every shift count and looked dangerous and at the very least tired defenders out with their speed.

I’m sure Babcock will realize this as the series goes on. I just hope it’s not too late before he does.

At the moment, we have to watch Komarov be in the lineup because he’s a man and Johnsson is not.
yeah he was playing Komarov over Marner in the top 6, running a completely ineffective 4th line with Moore and Martin while Kapanen wasted away, and waited way too long to give Dermott a chance. I don't see how he got defended so heavily but oh well. hope he starts off well next year like you're saying, and hopefully he's smart in this series

Reactions: saffronleaf

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
yeah he was playing Komarov over Marner in the top 6, running a completely ineffective 4th line with Moore and Martin while Kapanen wasted away, and waited way too long to give Dermott a chance. I don't see how he got defended so heavily but oh well. hope he starts off well next year like you're saying, and hopefully he's smart in this series

He doesn’t have a choice next year with Bozak, JvR, Komarov and Polak likely leaving. We might be stupid enough to sign Polak to a contract again but the other three are likely gone for money/performance reasons.

This series, the Leafs are still underdogs and IMO are playing with house money but they should be capable of winning. I can’t say I’d be too disappointed if we lose but it will likely depend on the manner in which we lose.

Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston, LA etc all went through some tough losses before they won it all. It won’t be an overnight turnaround to go from 30th to winning the cup in 2 seasons but I don’t want to lose because we were too conservative. I’d rather lose by playing our best players and knowing we put our best effort. If it still comes up short, big deal, our core is set to contend for a decade. What will suck is if Babcock decides to rely on veterans who are over the hill now to win games.

I don’t want to see Nylander being on a short lease and Polak being trotted our there despite taking dumb penalties and icing the puck every other shift. That kind of loss would be a disappointment.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He doesn’t have a choice next year with Bozak, JvR, Komarov and Polak likely leaving. We might be stupid enough to sign Polak to a contract again but the other three are likely gone for money/performance reasons.
he always has a choice. he'll bring up Ben Smith, Clune, Marincin, etc. he loves safe players

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

It's not a small detail. A speedy, talented 4th line that can score could win us the series.

With Boston's defense, there's a very good chance they can neutralize our top two lines. Lines 1 through 3 we match up pretty evenly, maybe an edge to Boston.

So if we can consistently put out a great line like Johnsson - Plekanec - Kapanen on the 4th line, that would be huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad