Proposal: Eberle to Islanders

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I think Eberle is offensively talented, but with some deficiencies in his overall game. However, those flaws have been overblown.

Interestingly, I have always viewed PAP as a poor man's Eberle. But relatively speaking, more playmaking to goal scoring ratio for PAP. But PAP is paid 1.25m; and should be good for 45-60pts with Tavares.

For these reasons it may not be prudent for the Isles to pursue Eberle unless Oilers take back a contract. Oiler reasons for not trading Eberle to the Isles have already been documented by Oiler fans better than I could.

Either way both Isles and Oiler fans should just back away from the vitriol incited by the Hamonic threads.

My god man, for the sake of the franchise and the fan base you better pray Snow finds someone to play with Johnny T so he doesn't bolt at the end of his contract and it better not be PAP if you're hoping to be a a playoff team. Paranteau is not a top 6 forward on a good team. He had marginal success in a top 6 role on the worst team in the league last year, while eating up all the offensive zone starts and first PP unit time. He's a decent depth scorer and would likely put up 50 points with Tavares but Johnny deserves a better running mate than that. Despite NYI fans consternation over Eberle, he'd be a great fit but doubt he's available anymore so might have to start looking elsewhere

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Reality, in which dangling one of your top trade assets in Hall only to get back Larsson, it's just not a very nice thing for Oilers fans. Similar to where they finish in the standings, it's better to spin the same narrative and ignore factual evidence. So let's all just pretend the Hall trade never happened and go back to telling people that they'll need to overpay steeply to get any asset on Edmonton, who is worth their weight in gold.

Took Oiler fans a couple days to turn on Hall after the trade. If Eberle gets moved for a top-4 defenseman like Dehaan I wonder how long it'll take for Oiler fans to turn on Jordan? My best guess is 3 seconds.
Oilers fans haven't turned on Hall. It sucks that we had to trade him. Being optimistic about having Lucic and Larsson isn't a slight on Hall. The only ones slamming Hall are the ones who did so all along. Same with Eberle I would bet. His detractors would run him down, most would be sad to see him go.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If that wasn't you, fine, but don't act like there wasn't a cascading avalanche of Oiler fans pissing on Hamonic's value only to be smacked by reality.

I don't want the Oilers to give up Eberle for anything. Keep him, please.

[MOD]

Stating that you guys over valued Hamonic isn't the same as passing on him. If we didn't respect his game and want him we wouldn't even have wanted him.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I had about 10-15 posts quoted and can't answer to all. Here is what we can realistically offer.

Picks
Mayfield
Bailey
Halak*
Boychuk*
Possibly MDC
Possible Nelson or Lee

Halak/Boychuk/Bailey might have to be added to get us under the cap.

No chance any of Pulock, Leddy, Hamonic, and de HAAN will be moved for Eberle (that's a pipe dream considering what Hall returned).

If anyone can come up with something from that, AMEN!

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Oilers fans haven't turned on Hall. It sucks that we had to trade him. Being optimistic about having Lucic and Larsson isn't a slight on Hall. The only ones slamming Hall are the ones who did so all along. Same with Eberle I would bet. His detractors would run him down, most would be sad to see him go.

Read the Hall/Larsson thread again, especially the last couple pages. The same posters who were saying Hall's value is equal to Tavares now believe he's a one-dimensional winger with attitude issues and a bevy of other problems.

Granted, it's not everybody, and the detractors you speak of do get the benefit of "I told you so", but there have been several Oiler fans (can't name names or else I'll get in trouble) who were the biggest Hall boosters and now suddenly see him as mediocre.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Read the Hall/Larsson thread again, especially the last couple pages. The same posters who were saying Hall's value is equal to Tavares now believe he's a one-dimensional winger with attitude issues and a bevy of other problems.

Granted, it's not everybody, and the detractors you speak of do get the benefit of "I told you so", but there have been several Oiler fans (can't name names or else I'll get in trouble) who were the biggest Hall boosters and now suddenly see him as mediocre.

In the Hall trade thread it was Hal for Larsson ++ if I recall correctly, that did not pan out very well.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
My god man, for the sake of the franchise and the fan base you better pray Snow finds someone to play with Johnny T so he doesn't bolt at the end of his contract and it better not be PAP if you're hoping to be a a playoff team. Paranteau is not a top 6 forward on a good team. He had marginal success in a top 6 role on the worst team in the league last year, while eating up all the offensive zone starts and first PP unit time. He's a decent depth scorer and would likely put up 50 points with Tavares but Johnny deserves a better running mate than that. Despite NYI fans consternation over Eberle, he'd be a great fit but doubt he's available anymore so might have to start looking elsewhere

Oh please! My point was to alleviate the constant bickering about players on either team due to personal bias and opinions not to continue with the same pointless histrionics and hyperbole from previous threads.

Now where back to the same fear mongering (and I paraphrase)... "you better do this or that or the following will happen! And to bad for you for not seeing it as such!"

You better trade Hamonic now or he will refuse to report to the Isles. To bad now instead of Fayne and Eberle you can only get Fayne and Yakupov... Provided you throw in your first. cuz you know value...

Has become

You better get Tavares a star winger (Eberle of course) or else he's going to bolt for Rangers, Toronto, Buffalo and Las Vegas! All of them at the same time! But to bad you can't get Eberle now...

I paid Eberle a compliment, I interjected my view of him... I think most people on this board would agree with it. A very talented player with some holes to his game. Again, live and let live... let's stop treading up the same nonsensical arguments.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
What's the Oilers D setup looking like right now?

Decent. Could use one more top RHD to be playoff worthy. Happy with everything else.

Oilers DON'T need more prospects (ala MDC) nor another bottom-4 D-man. Basically the Isles and Oilers are terrible trading partners.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Oilers DON'T need more prospects (ala MDC) nor another bottom-4 D-man. Basically the Isles and Oilers are terrible trading partners.

They were terrible trading partners before the Hall trade. Now there's no point even having a discussion.

Until NYI can clarify Grabovski's condition (salary to LTIR?), or dump Jaro Halak, or dump Josh Bailey they can't take on salary. NYI will be active during/after camp. But probably not until then.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Reality, in which dangling one of your top trade assets in Hall only to get back Larsson, it's just not a very nice thing for Oilers fans. Similar to where they finish in the standings, it's better to spin the same narrative and ignore factual evidence. So let's all just pretend the Hall trade never happened and go back to telling people that they'll need to overpay steeply to get any asset on Edmonton, who is worth their weight in gold.

Took Oiler fans a couple days to turn on Hall after the trade. If Eberle gets moved for a top-4 defenseman like Dehaan I wonder how long it'll take for Oiler fans to turn on Jordan? My best guess is 3 seconds.

Give me a break. Every Oiler fan and their dog knows that Taylor Hall was a premium price to pay for Larsson. The fact is is that New Jersey crippled their defense with that trade and its incredibly likely Taylor Hall was the only piece available that was going to convince them to do that. And for all the intangibles de Haan brings to the table, his importance to the Islanders' blue line is a far cry from what Larsson's was to the Devils.

And once again, de Haan does nothing for the Oilers so even offering as lesser piece than Eberle wouldn't make a difference. It's like us offering up RNH for Hamonic. The needs just aren't there.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I dunno. We are only allowed to keep 3 defenders and probably have to expose Davidson and Reinhart already.

I think we are done for trades for defensemen.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Multiple Islander fans on this thread have said that de Haan and a 1st round pick might be an option. Not sure where you see that Islander posters are saying none of their defenseman are available.

As an isles fan i hope this happens. I really like de Haan but JT needs a true winger

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Fayne
Davidson- Reinhart

Is what I am guessing. Fayne should be down on the bottom pair but looked good with Sekera last year. not ideal but much better.

That's a solid top pairing. All the other pairs need some work still. As it sits that will not get you far in the playoffs if you make it at all.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I can't believe some of you guys.... the difference between Hamonic and de Haan is not a first rounder, and Hamonic is worth more than Eberle.

Any deal for Eberle would have to involve a contract going the other way

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Zero interest in moving Eberle. He's a flawed player and one dimensional, no doubt, but his one dimension is very good, plus he's a right handed shot and has clicked with McDavid. Looch-McD-Ebs is a helluva first line. Here's hoping the first time Ebs dogs it on the back check, Looch choke slams him into a locker and it never happens again. Every year he's hovering around 60+ pt production (prorated over 82 games). That's first line production. We just traded one of those, can't afford to do it again.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
You mean like the Oiler experts that predicted Eberle for Hamonic or Hall for Hamonic, MDC, and a 1st? :laugh:

I really really really dislike the Oilers but you are being completely disingenuous and antagonistic. This had nothing to do with what the poster you quoted said, not to mention it's not even the same poster.

I mean it's pretty obvious the Isles don't have much on the right side and this IS a trade board - Hamonic wasn't even in the OP and yet you are here with nothing but vitriolic comments. Shame.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Zero interest in moving Eberle. He's a flawed player and one dimensional, no doubt, but his one dimension is very good, plus he's a right handed shot and has clicked with McDavid. Looch-McD-Ebs is a helluva first line. Here's hoping the first time Ebs dogs it on the back check, Looch choke slams him into a locker and it never happens again. Every year he's hovering around 60+ pt production (prorated over 82 games). That's first line production. We just traded one of those, can't afford to do it again.

I would agree that Oil should probably keep Ebs, especially losing Hall.
Maybe the Oil actually winning some games (wishful thinking maybe) will inspire him to be more consistent.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I would agree that Oil should probably keep Ebs, especially losing Hall.
Maybe the Oil actually winning some games (wishful thinking maybe) will inspire him to be more consistent.

We'd love WJC/rookie and sophomore Eberle back. He used to seem to put a lot more effort into his 2-way game and showed a lot of passion. Can't imagine losing for that long is easy (surely hasn't been for the fans), but hopefully a little winning can get him a little more motivated. Still a great offensive player either way.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
In the Hall trade thread it was Hal for Larsson ++ if I recall correctly, that did not pan out very well.

Yup, many (myself included) felt that there'd be a plus or 2 on top of Hamonic or Larsson coming back for Hall (I'm not even a big Hall fan fwiw). But there wasn't and then we get told by many non Oilers fans that we overrated our player AND got screwed in the trade, amazing how that works! It's one or the other, either Hall straight up wasn't as good as many believed and the Larsson trade was pretty much an even trade or Hall was as good (or close to it) as many believed and we got a piss poor return. Yet we get crapped on coming and going which IMO is disingenuous.

Now instead of continuing with the pissing contest between fanbases let's get back on topic, what would Snow be willing to add on top of Boychuk for Eberle? Now I know that D > W, etc. but the bottom line is that the salaries are the same, Eberle is quite a bit younger and having acquired Larsson and having Klefbom return we are not in as bad of a pickle as we were before the Hall/Larsson trade. Meanwhile Snow could use someone to step in and replace Okposo's production and it won't be PAP even though he had his best years alongside Tavares and Moulson.

Boychuk will be 38 when his deal is up while Eberle would be an UFA after 3 more seasons. There has to be some add on's coming our way given Boychuk's contract or at bare minimum some salary retention.

Boychuk intrigues me because he is a RHD with a big shot, physicality, experience, is a local product and he'd add even more toughness to our club along with his good friend Milan Lucic. That said his contract scares the **** out of me, at least the last 2 years of it do anyway.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad