Proposal: Eberle to Islanders

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

underdog

Jul 30, 2003
British Columbia
Visit site
We already lost Halls 25 goals now Oiler fans want to ship out Eberle and his 25 goals? Our right wing depth is horrible and expecting a 4th overalll pick to slot in as our solution is not the answer.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/20...d-be-exempt-from-the-2017-nhl-expansion-draft

A good read as to why Manta (and Pulock) should be exempt in expansion. If Pulock is exempt, then the Isles can use that spot on de Haan. Just FYI since you keep harping on 'losing him for nothing'.

I'll give it a read. I figured you'd leave him unprotected with Pulock on the way, but maybe I'm wrong and you'd rather expose one of your top 6 forwards/3rd line C.

The vast majority of Oiler fans on this board spent the better part of the season talking down to Isles fans regarding Hamonic's value and how they didn't want him anyway because of his lack of offense. Funny thing, all of that.

Davidson played similarly in terms of CF/60, CA/60, and CD/60, but not production/60. De Haan is the better all-around D at this point.
Alright and that wasn't me so I'm not sure why you keep speaking of Oilers fans as a whole. The majority of Oilers fans don't even post on the main boards.

As for that I won't argue that, Davidson was basically a #7 to start the year and developed a ton throughout the year. Being his rookie season, I'd expect him to improve. Even if you think de Haan is a better player, why do we give up Eberle, our best producing RWer for a slight upgrade on D when we're just going to have to piss away either him or Davidson to Vegas?

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

OutForMilk

Feb 25, 2010
location, location
I'd still trade Eberle for Hamonic.

I know it would leave the right side quite bare but it would also leave the Oilers with a very reliable blueline. Not a ton of offence but it would be effective at regaining possession and getting the puck onto McDavid's stick.

We just paid a big price for a reliable dman, but we still don't have a puck mover. IMO, that's our only glaring need left. No big assets are leaving for anything that isn't exactly that.

Axel

Mar 19, 2013
No trade to be made with Islander posters, they are satisfied with their team. None of their Dmen are available and there is only 1 forward I would be interested in and I wouldn't even dare mention his name in a trade thread. :)

Multiple Islander fans on this thread have said that de Haan and a 1st round pick might be an option. Not sure where you see that Islander posters are saying none of their defenseman are available.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I hear that the makers of Rainman, the movie, went back and forth between "Judge Wapner" and "Eberle for Hamonic."

Just saying.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Alright and that wasn't me so I'm not sure why you keep speaking of Oilers fans as a whole. The majority of Oilers fans don't even post on the main boards.

As for that I won't argue that, Davidson was basically a #7 to start the year and developed a ton throughout the year. Being his rookie season, I'd expect him to improve. Even if you think de Haan is a better player, why do we give up Eberle, our best producing RWer for a slight upgrade on D when we're just going to have to piss away either him or Davidson to Vegas?
If that wasn't you, fine, but don't act like there wasn't a cascading avalanche of Oiler fans pissing on Hamonic's value only to be smacked by reality.

I don't want the Oilers to give up Eberle for anything. Keep him, please.

[MOD]

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Multiple Islander fans on this thread have said that de Haan and a 1st round pick might be an option. Not sure where you see that Islander posters are saying none of their defenseman are available.

My apologies then... I was under the impression (based on reading other threads) the Islanders were not willing to trade any of their D. de Haan looks like a solid #4 LH defensive D who is not opposed to physical play.

If I am off on my assessment... I'll be honest, I have not seen him play much... I don't catch many NYI games and even those I do catch I have not focused on him.

If I am accurate in my assessment then I think he sounds very comparable to Brandon Davidson and would not fit a need of the Oilers. We are OK on the left side and we need a offensive PM D. Also, I would not want Boychuk's contract... I like Boychuk, I don't mind his cap hit... I don't like the term. Truly only Hamonic would make sense for the Oilers and I am very clear on the fact he is not available.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Don't think Edmonton moves him unless D is coming back.

Don't think many teams move D if Eberle is coming back.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The vast majority of Oiler fans on this board spent the better part of the season talking down to Isles fans regarding Hamonic's value and how they didn't want him anyway because of his lack of offense. Funny thing, all of that.

Davidson played similarly in terms of CF/60, CA/60, and CD/60, but not production/60. De Haan is the better all-around D at this point.

[MOD]

I wouldn't say that's fair. Yes, there were several fans doing that just like there were several fans trashing the value of Eberle, RNH et. al and their lack of winning and defensive acumen. The majority slightly over value their own players like every team does. To be fair, it was just a minority on both sides that went crazy bashing the others.

I'll never forget the one nut job who told me that Hamonic would just be battling with Reinhart for the 6/7th defense spot. That was absurd. I don't think most Oiler fans would echo that sentiment. At least I hope not.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Extraneous circumstances and you know it.

Hamilton - threat of offer sheet.

Leddy - cap constraints.

If you're counting on those situations to reoccur, good luck.

You mean like the expansion draft? And it's not like cap constraints are exactly a rarity these days as well.

Come on, man. If you're thinking the Hall trade is the gold standard for what defensemen are valued at today, prepare to be supremely disappointed in the coming months.

And the word you were looking for was 'extenuating'.

Avenger*

De Haan does nothing for Edmonton. I feel like a broken record having to repeat myself that Edmonton has no use for left shot d-men outside of the obvious that would never come back in a deal for Eberle.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I think the OP is fair for both sides and would benefit both teams. Get Chairelli and Snow on the line.

Klefbom, De-Haan, Sekera is a great group of LHD.

Larsson, ?, Fayne could be a great group of RHD depending on that ?.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
The Oilers would have to likely offer up Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for a player from the Islanders, and they'd be looking at Travis Hamonic in all likelihood, as he's signed through 2020 and is a right-handed shooting defenseman. The problem is that a team can only protect three defensemen in the next expansion draft, and Larsson and Sekera are likely two of those three (the Oilers might very well lose Darnell Nurse in the expansion draft). This might be a trade to consider next offseason, but not this one.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
You mean like the expansion draft? And it's not like cap constraints are exactly a rarity these days as well.
Can you give an example where the expansion draft resulted in a devaluation of a player? Or is there no precedent?

Fact is, you cherry picked two examples that had several limiting factors invovled for the selling teams. They were not the norm.

Come on, man. If you're thinking the Hall trade is the gold standard for what defensemen are valued at today, prepare to be supremely disappointed in the coming months.
Did I say it was the gold standard, or just a recent example of low supply, high demand? I don't know if you've noticed, but there aren't a whole lot of top 4 defenseman that hit the market. Let alone young and with term.

And the word you were looking for was 'extenuating'.

Fat-fingered the wrong selection in autocorrect. Sue me.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
You're bang on about him not filling into your salary structure but completely fantasizing if you think Ho-Sang is anywhere near the type of player Jordan Eberle is today. He's not even a year removed from sleeping in on day one of training camp and has a laundry list of character issues to overcome before even considering how far behind he is offensively at the NHL level.

I never said he was anywhere near the type of player Eberle is today. I said he can fill that spot, but I never said he would have the same impact. Why are you putting words in my mouth? Plus, he got a clean slate this year from the incident last year. He had a great prospect camp.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If Eberle and McDavid stay healthy-ish all season, Eberle gets 40.

Why stop at 40, why not 50? Give me a break.

Eberle has a career high of 34 goals, a season which he shot an unsustainable 18.9%. Hasn't hit 30 since and all of a sudden, he's going to hit 40? I understand McDavid is an uber talent, but you're dreaming here. If Eberle scored 40 goals, he would likely be top-5 in the entire NHL.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think Eberle is offensively talented, but with some deficiencies in his overall game. However, those flaws have been overblown.

Interestingly, I have always viewed PAP as a poor man's Eberle. But relatively speaking, more playmaking to goal scoring ratio for PAP. But PAP is paid 1.25m; and should be good for 45-60pts with Tavares.

For these reasons it may not be prudent for the Isles to pursue Eberle unless Oilers take back a contract. Oiler reasons for not trading Eberle to the Isles have already been documented by Oiler fans better than I could.

Either way both Isles and Oiler fans should just back away from the vitriol incited by the Hamonic threads.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
We already robbed the Oilers by drafting Barzal. Barzal is more or less a younger version of Eberle. Eberle is a stud no doubt, its actually pretty sad that he is even mentioned in any trade to any team. I wouldn't trade him.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Reality, in which dangling one of your top trade assets in Hall only to get back Larsson, it's just not a very nice thing for Oilers fans. Similar to where they finish in the standings, it's better to spin the same narrative and ignore factual evidence. So let's all just pretend the Hall trade never happened and go back to telling people that they'll need to overpay steeply to get any asset on Edmonton, who is worth their weight in gold.

Took Oiler fans a couple days to turn on Hall after the trade. If Eberle gets moved for a top-4 defenseman like Dehaan I wonder how long it'll take for Oiler fans to turn on Jordan? My best guess is 3 seconds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad