Early Predictions for who Wins the 2024-25 Calder Trophy (NHL Rookie of the Year?

Who Wins the Calder Trophy

• Macklin Celebrini (San Jose Sharks)

Votes: 64 17.7%
  • Will Smith (San Jose Sharks)

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Cutter Gauthier (San Jose Sharks)

Votes: 26 7.2%
  • Matthew Savoie (Edmonton Oilers)

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Matvei Michkov (Philadelphia Flyers)

Votes: 135 37.3%
  • Frank Nazar (Chicago Blackhawks)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • David Reinbacher (Montreal Canadians)

• Lane Hudson (Montreal Canadians)

Votes: 17 4.7%
  • Shane Wright (Seattle Kraken)

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Jiri Kulich (Buffalo Sabres)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Joakim Kemell (Nashville Predators)

• Brad Lambert (Winnipeg Jets)

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Cayden Lindstrom (Columbus Blue Jackets)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gavin Brindley (Columbus Blue Jackets)

• Artyom Levshunov (Chicago Blackhawks)

• Seamus Casey (New Jersey Devils)

• Nate Danielson (Detroit Red Wings)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Marco Kasper (Detroit Red Wings)

• Axel Sandin-Pellika (Detroit Red Wings)

• Scott Morrow (Carolina Hurricanes)

• Brayden Yager (Pittsburgh Penguins)

• Hunter Brzustewicz (Calgary Flames)

• Marat Khusnutdinov (Minnesota Wild)

• Jesper Wallstedt (Minnesota Wild)

• Ivan Miroshnichenko (Washington Capitals

• Logan Stankoven (Dallas Stars)

Votes: 58 16.0%
  • Mavrik Bourque (Dallas Stars)

• Fabian Lysell (Boston Bruins)

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Yaroslav Askarov (Nashville Predators)

• Brennan Othmann (New York Rangers)

• Dustin Wolf (Calgary Flames)

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • Liam Ohgren (Minnesota Wild)

• Total voters

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I voted Stankoven, but on second thought that has more to do with my guess that he'll be the best overall player next year. There are a few other candidates, including Michkov, that will likely get more points than Stankoven and are perhaps more likely to win the award.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I forgot the guys name but he was the 3rd highest AHL scoring defenseman, has the skating and the shot, all the tools to play on the 1st PP unit and still leave a few bodies laying around. Probably best if paired with Guhle.

If i can remember his name...

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Some wildcards to look out for that got little/no votes so far:

Gavin Brindley; CBJ
Extremely talented player. He’s a bit undersized but has made a big impact on both ends of the ice on every team he’s played. High IQ, High motor, and phenomenal compete. He could get votes.

Jesper Wallstedt: MIN
While he’s currently the 3rd sting goalie for Minnesota, he could rise up the ranks quickly in the organization. There have been rumblings that Minnesota is ready to move on from Gustavsson and Wallstedt may end up with that starting role if Fluery really starts to show his age.

Fabian Lysell
Fabian Lysell has undeniable talent. He’s coming off of a great sophomore season in the AHL and it seems like it’s time for him to make the jump to the NHL. I think he’s basically slotted in for that 2nd or 3rd line role and I think he is going to get a real look this year. Could surprise some people.

Brad Lambert
One of my absolute favorite players of the 2022 draft so I had to include him. After a very strong showing last preseason, I thought he should’ve made the roster. I think he beats out a vet for a job this year. Brad Lambert is capable of great things and I think he’ll be in the Calder conversation this year or next for sure.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I forgot the guys name but he was the 3rd highest AHL scoring defenseman, has the skating and the shot, all the tools to play on the 1st PP unit and still leave a few bodies laying around. Probably best if paired with Guhle.

If i can remember his name...
Logan Mailloux will never win the Calder regardless of play. The Professional Hockey Writers Association won’t place a single vote for that guy because of his past. Overall, just a bad character guy in my view.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Celebrini
He is going to be saddled with a really poor team and I think the field is too good and one or 2 guys have a clear path of opportunity which is why I took Michov and thought long and hard about Stank.

Darkhorses Lambert or Kulich if either is in the top 6
I don't see a top 6 path for playing time, especially in the PP for either of these guys.

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
I voted Michkov, but I think Easton Cowan has a darkhorse chance to surprise and I am not a Leafs fan.

With some of the names in the poll I am surprised he is not listed at all

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Anticipating a weaker group. I’ll go Stankoven, Celebrini, Gauthier as the finalists. Mack wins.

I'm going with Dustin Wolf.
Don’t think the flames will be good enough in front of him

Takurcitee

Apr 22, 2022
I would vote michkov if torts wasnt his hc could see him getting benched quite a lot

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
It would certainly be an achievement for Celebrini or Michkov to duplicate Bedard's 72 point pace from last year. Both will have non playoff rosters to work with like Bedard did so its a good comparison. I'd say the likelihood of passing that pace would be pretty low. Michkov has a whole series of adjustments he'll need to make other than much less time and space. And then there's Torts and all that uncertainty. It feels like the Sharks are asking too much of Celebrini (and Smith). For various reasons, I don't see either of these players on the same level as Bedard.

For the apparent underdog Stankoven, I think the situation is completely different. He has been acclimatized. He's played 43 NHL games and managed a 40 point pace in those contests. 19 of those games played were some intense playoff contests. He'll be getting a premium centre to work with - either he stays with Johnston and Benn or they move him up with Hintz and Robertson to assume Pavelski's role, even though that task likely now falls to Seguin for the time being, until he gets hurt. Logan will eventually bulldog his way to that role.

You could argue that like Bedard, Michkov and Celebrini may see a higher % of powerplay time, They will both be formidable challengers, but I believe Stankoven will receive so much more help in the Stars lineup that he'll double his current pace closer to 80 points. I believe Michkov and Celebrini will need to at least duplicate (or increase) Bedard's rookie pace to win the Calder and beat Logan, who in my mind is the clear favorite.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Anticipating a weaker group. I’ll go Stankoven, Celebrini, Gauthier as the finalists. Mack wins.

Don’t think the flames will be good enough in front of him

Part of why I think he'll win, if he keeps them in a lot of games they shouldn't be in.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Michkov can avoid getting benched by Torts, it’s his to lose. Guy already scores against men and has a decent supporting cast in Philly.
I think this is it. If he plays like 70+ games, I think he'll win. If Torts scratches him for 15 games or more and/or there's an injury thrown in there, someone else will probably not miss so many games and put up a good enough season to beat him.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think this is it. If he plays like 70+ games, I think he'll win. If Torts scratches him for 15 games or more and/or there's an injury thrown in there, someone else will probably not miss so many games and put up a good enough season to beat him.
Yup, I could see a scenario where Michkov puts up 60 points in 60 games and Celebrini does 55 in 80 and ends up with the Calder based on age, position, and off-puck play. But if Michkov plays >70 games and scores at the rate I’m expecting I don’t think there’s any justification for not giving it to him.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
My vote is for Stankoven. I think if he will continue to play with Johnston and develop his game, its his year to win it. I think Michkov will lose some time for adaptation and development, as some other young players like Celebrini who can start hot but def-ly should hit the wall.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Pretty clearly will be between michkov, celebrini and stankoven.

Guys like Wallstedt, Wright, Hutson may make a push for 3rd but I don’t think they get it.

I think michkov wins it unless he gets injured.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I think it’s going to be a close race this year for the Calder Trophy. There are a ton of potential players that could surprise and make a real run for it.

Who do you think is going to win it and who are some wildcards that could make the top 3 in votes?

I’m picking with my heart and going Brad Lambert.

However, I think the voting will go like this in no particular order:

-Matvei Michkov
-Dustin Wolf
-Macklin Celebrini

*please ignore the Cutter Gauthier typo
To many, Michkov was viewed as a pretty close comparable to Bedard.
He’s entering the NHL 2 years older than Bedard, with a vastly better supporting cast, and with pro hockey experience. Considering Bedard won as an 18yo, Michkov not winning would be a disappointment relative to expectations

That’s assuming there isn’t another rookie who comes close to PPG

Reactions: GOilers88

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
To many, Michkov was viewed as a pretty close comparable to Bedard.
He’s entering the NHL 2 years older than Bedard, with a vastly better supporting cast, and with pro hockey experience. Considering Bedard won as an 18yo, Michkov not winning would be a disappointment relative to expectations

That’s assuming there isn’t another rookie who comes close to PPG
I think Stankoven is going to ball out and put up really good numbers, might steal it from Michkov, Celebrini, Gauthier, Hutson, etc

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Now with Pavelski retiring it opens a spot for Stankoven in the top six. He is my vote.

I’ll weigh in on Hutson and I think he doesn’t have much of a chance. Yes he can put up big numbered but keep in mind that Mailloux played his first AHL season last year and put up great points. Also Reinbacher debuted near the end of the AHL season last year as well. I have to think that the Habs want to break in one rookie defenceman at a time assuming they don’t get injuries and it forces them to call some up. I can see Hutson being sent down if his play dwindles a bit to get some extra seasoning and to give one of the other two a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad