G Joshua Ravensbergen - Prince George Cougars, WHL (2025 Draft)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Wouldn't be surprised if it's SJ. 1/3 of their 2024 draft picks are from North Vancouver, where Ravensbergen is also from. They don't really have their goalie of the future yet, so why not? Could use Vegas' first. We'll see what happens.
I could see us picking Ravensbergen with the Vegas 1st next year, but realistically any 18 year old goalie picked in 2025 isn’t going to be ready for another five years.

Reactions: ameselare

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I could see us picking Ravensbergen with the Vegas 1st next year, but realistically any 18 year old goalie picked in 2025 isn’t going to be ready for another five years.
If you are rebuilding you do want to grab your goalie early on as they don’t make the NHL’s until 22/23 of age. Need to be patient with them.

If your current starter is 30, then you should assess your pipeline and if there isn’t someone you truly think can be a starter one day you need to consider taking one early either in round 1 or 2 if there’s someone that your scouts and goalie coach likes.

Timeline wise Askarov taking over from Sarros did line up but Nash has now opted to continue with Sarros. Probably why you don’t want to take goalies before the teens. Value just isn’t there as now Nash couldn’t get a Lundell who was on the board or Jarvis also in the board in a straight up trade.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Yes, that's why he'd be the goalie of the future. Rebuilds, even when successful, take a long time to come to fruition. Gone are the days of Pittsburgh winning a cup 4 years post-Crosby draft, Chicago winning 3 years post-Kane draft, etc.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Yes, that's why he'd be the goalie of the future. Rebuilds, even when successful, take a long time to come to fruition. Gone are the days of Pittsburgh winning a cup 4 years post-Crosby draft, Chicago winning 3 years post-Kane draft, etc.
It all depends on timeline. Pittsburgh and Chicago were closer to the end of their rebuilds and won a lottery to speed the timeline up.

If Ravensbergen is the real deal and is selected by a team coming out of their rebuild or a team already good, that's much different than him going to a team still years away from getting out of the (re)building phase.

Reactions: Patty Ice

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
It all depends on timeline. Pittsburgh and Chicago were closer to the end of their rebuilds and won a lottery to speed the timeline up.

If Ravensbergen is the real deal and is selected by a team coming out of their rebuild or a team already good, that's much different than him going to a team still years away from getting out of the (re)building phase.
Yeah but I was specifically referring to San Jose in my comment, who are at/near the very beginning of their rebuild, and just selected 1OA this year.

Reactions: coooldude

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
15 clubs have not drafted a goalie high in the past 3 drafts. Even if you add in Minny with Wallstedt in 2021, that would drop it down to 14.

That leaves teams like Cal, Van, SJ, Nas (if they move off Askarov), Win, Dal, Tor, Ott, Bos, NYR, NYI (took Luneau in 2021), Pitt, Wash, Fla (still have Knight from 2019) as the most likely to draft him high.

Fla, Tor have no first rounder in 2024. Owed by Cal (more likely to go to Mon), and Chicago.

Cal has NJ's 1st so they could use that. Van, might have too many holes in F/D prospects to go G, SJ, needs a goalie prospect if they don't have one. Nash, depending on how Askarov situation plays itself out. Bos, have Swayman and need to replenish asset base from their Lindholm/Bertuzzi trades. NYI with Luneau probably not going to take a G.

So, mostly likely would be Cal, Sj, Win, Pitt, Wash IMO. But any of Win, Dal, Ott could as well. New York teams set in net for a while.

I'd love the Canucks to draft Ravensbergen, especially given he's a North Van guy.

It also fits the time-frame for Demko replacement in 5-8 years.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd love the Canucks to draft Ravensbergen, especially given he's a North Van guy.

It also fits the time-frame for Demko replacement in 5-8 years.
Over the past 5 drafts the Canucks only had 2 firsts and 1 second that they used on the draft floor. Klimovich the 2nd rounder is headed back to Europe or khl I believe. Leaves Lekky and Wallinder as the only top 2 round selections over the past 5 drafts. It’s pretty thin in the prospect pool. Not sure the Canucks can afford to spend a first on a goalie when they need skaters desperately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad