Early Predictions for who Wins the 2024-25 Calder Trophy (NHL Rookie of the Year?

Who Wins the Calder Trophy

• Macklin Celebrini (San Jose Sharks)

Votes: 72 18.4%
  • Will Smith (San Jose Sharks)

Votes: 18 4.6%
  • Cutter Gauthier (San Jose Sharks)

Votes: 26 6.6%
  • Matthew Savoie (Edmonton Oilers)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Matvei Michkov (Philadelphia Flyers)

Votes: 137 34.9%
  • Frank Nazar (Chicago Blackhawks)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • David Reinbacher (Montreal Canadians)

• Lane Hudson (Montreal Canadians)

Votes: 22 5.6%
  • Shane Wright (Seattle Kraken)

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Jiri Kulich (Buffalo Sabres)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Joakim Kemell (Nashville Predators)

• Brad Lambert (Winnipeg Jets)

• Cayden Lindstrom (Columbus Blue Jackets)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gavin Brindley (Columbus Blue Jackets)

• Artyom Levshunov (Chicago Blackhawks)

• Seamus Casey (New Jersey Devils)

• Nate Danielson (Detroit Red Wings)

• Marco Kasper (Detroit Red Wings)

• Axel Sandin-Pellika (Detroit Red Wings)

• Scott Morrow (Carolina Hurricanes)

• Brayden Yager (Pittsburgh Penguins)

• Hunter Brzustewicz (Calgary Flames)

• Marat Khusnutdinov (Minnesota Wild)

• Jesper Wallstedt (Minnesota Wild)

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Ivan Miroshnichenko (Washington Capitals

• Logan Stankoven (Dallas Stars)

Votes: 67 17.1%
  • Mavrik Bourque (Dallas Stars)

• Fabian Lysell (Boston Bruins)

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Yaroslav Askarov (Nashville Predators)

• Brennan Othmann (New York Rangers)

• Dustin Wolf (Calgary Flames)

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Liam Ohgren (Minnesota Wild)

• Total voters

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Bradly Nadeau or Felix Unger-Sorum

homer pick, yes, but there's good reason for it. Carolina currently has a hole in the top 6, if either of them ends up making the team it's likely going to be in that role.
For the same reasoning, Riley Heidt in MN is a real dark horse candidate, because if he is in the NHL this season, it’s because he proves to be a strong fit on the 2nd line.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I would actually put Mailloux's name there as opposed to Reinbacher for the Habs, I think given he had a strong AHL season he's a lot more likely to make the team. Probably a moot point regardless, Hutson is the only one who has a chance at being in the discussion

Celebrini, Michkov and Stankoven are the likely finalists imo

I think Stankoven having the extra marination and a way better team around him than other top rookies could vault him to the top

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I would actually put Mailloux's name there as opposed to Reinbacher for the Habs, I think given he had a strong AHL season he's a lot more likely to make the team. Probably a moot point regardless, Hutson is the only one who has a chance at being in the discussion

I think Stankoven having the extra marination and a way better team around him than other top rookies could vault him to the top
Stank needs to get lucky and get premium TOI and PP time as well and that's debatable.

Michov is the safe bet and Celebrini as well.

come near the beginning of the season we could see who emerges with an opportunity after a training camp injury ect....

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think this is a pretty wide open race. Blows me away 4 people think Lysell. He's more likely not to play in the league this year than win the Calder.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
lol…that’s right. Nothing honest or hard working in his game…
Sure because I called him lazy and dishonest....well no I didn't.

The fact of the matter is that TOI and PP opportunity is one of the most important factors in a young forward scoring points and Dallas is a deep team.

I think this is a pretty wide open race. Blows me away 4 people think Lysell. He's more likely not to play in the league this year than win the Calder.
Sounds like you haven't looked at the Boston depth charts for a while but no I wouldn't take Lysell in this poll over the others sure.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Stank needs to get lucky and get premium TOI and PP time as well and that's debatable.

Michov is the safe bet and Celebrini as well.

come near the beginning of the season we could see who emerges with an opportunity after a training camp injury ect....
I think he'll be on their 2nd PP but I also wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing with Wyatt Johnson which is just worlds better than anyone SJ or PHI will be able to put with their guy. All that aside, he's just good at hockey lol, he was playing 14:40 when called up and then 16:00 in the playoffs so while he'll likely be lower TOI than some rookies on bad teams he's certainly not going to be buried by Dallas' depth

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think he'll be on their 2nd PP but I also wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing with Wyatt Johnson which is just worlds better than anyone SJ or PHI will be able to put with their guy. All that aside, he's just good at hockey lol, he was playing 14:40 when called up and then 16:00 in the playoffs so while he'll likely be lower TOI than some rookies on bad teams he's certainly not going to be buried by Dallas' depth
The thing is that in Philly and San Jose those guys can get premium PP TOI and the guys they are playing with won't be a problem.

Stank is a good player but unless he gets premium PP TOI it might be hard for him to rack up as many points as a guy like Michov.

Also he might get that time now with Palveski retiring.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
The thing is that in Philly and San Jose those guys can get premium PP TOI and the guys they are playing with won't be a problem.

Stank is a good player but unless he gets premium PP TOI it might be hard for him to rack up as many points as a guy like Michov.

He was playing in their top 6 regardless of Pavelski, I think you're underestimating the size of role he's going to play in Dallas. He likely won't be on PP1 this is true

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Yeah, probably, but don't forget that Phily's PP has been the worst in the league since forever. Of course there is a chance Michkov will fix it, but I don't think the chance is very big.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'll go with Celebrini. He was the best player in college as an underage freshman. He's playing against much older players. Already so talented, so well-rounded, and on an upward development curve.

He's also going to get all the opportunity he can handle, which is key to putting up the points needed for the Calder. Some other contenders are likely not going to be on their team's 1st line or even 1PP.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Lysell put up some great numbers in the AHL last year and has a lot of talent. In my eyes, the Boston is fairly weak on the RW. He could slot in the middle 9 easy.
Edvinsson?
He’s not eligible.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
If Michkov can avoid getting benched by Torts, it’s his to lose. Guy already scores against men and has a decent supporting cast in Philly.
What decent supporting cast ? I don’t think any Flyer scored over 60 points last year.

Looks like Konecny scored 68 and the rest were around 50 point mark.

The Flyers are one of the most boring offensive teams in the league, it’s going to be hard for MM to score many points with them

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Stankoven is taking it home.

The best candidate for the Habs is neither of those two defencemen. Josh Roy is still Calder eligible and could very well be on the top two lines for Montreal. If that happens he is most definitely a dark horse.

Slaf - Suzuki - Roy
Newhook - Dach - Caufield
Roy won’t play first line lol let’s be serious here. And i’d bet anything Hutson will score more points than Roy as a Dman.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud

I'd put Joshua Roy before any of Reinbacher or Mailloux for the Habs. He basically has a spot to lose on the top 6 and 2nd PP.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I'd put Joshua Roy before any of Reinbacher or Mailloux for the Habs. He basically has a spot to lose on the top 6 and 2nd PP.
Look I like the kid, but every Habs fan continuously putting Joshua Roy's name into the Calder conversation is giving everyone else on this board so much ammunition to work with... enough lol

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Look I like the kid, but every Habs fan continuously putting Joshua Roy's name into the Calder conversation is giving everyone else on this board so much ammunition to work with... enough lol

Why would he not be in the conversation exactly?

Roy produced at a similar or superior pace as a rookie in the AHL last season as a bunch of guys on the current list. Kulich, Lambert, Kemell, Kasper, Miroshnichenko, Othmann and Wright, just to name a few. He'll be given a prime opportunity this season on a rebuilding team that didn't make any addition on offense.

You have a bunch of guys on the list who don't have a single game of pro hockey under the belt and who are very unlikely to crack their NHL team this year, while Roy has already proven he can contribute in the NHL. So explain me why he shouldn't be a candidate just as these guys??

I mean... where exactly do you fit Danielson and Kasper on the current Detroit rosters? Othmann with the Rangers??? Kemell in Nashville?? The Habs rosters is full of holes in comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad