Confirmed with Link: Ducks re-sign Jackson LaCombe (2 years, $925k AAV)

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Cap strapped teams will value lacombe more now that he has such a low cap hit and a little term.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What do you think it is? I’m thinking #4 guy.

I think there is a still a pretty big range of outcomes. We have seen Dmen with similarly fantastic tools, who were unable to ever carve out a true role as more than a #7 due to lack of consistency. This contract guards against that, as it's #7 type money and essentially a continuation of his ELC.

There is still an opportunity for him to become a solid top 4 minute muncher, who can play in all situations. Defensive consistency is the big X factor that will decide where he lands.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Not saying he will turn out to be great or even good but the people writing him off after one season are pretty silly
Not sure many are writing him off and I certainly am not doing so but with our depth at the position, his window to pop at the NHL level before he gets overshadowed and passed up by other guys in the system is relatively small

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
Not sure many are writing him off and I certainly am not doing so but with our depth at the position, his window to pop at the NHL level before he gets overshadowed and passed up by other guys in the system is relatively small
Most people aren't writing him off. There are just a few who seem to really dislike him and I think that's pretty silly.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Not saying he will turn out to be great or even good but the people writing him off after one season are pretty silly
Ya it is confusing to me.

Only like 5 Dmen from his draft have more NHL games played, and 3 of those were top 10 picks. He really only didn't look good when he was playing the top pairing on his off side, with like 20 NHL games under his belt.

I do think the 2 years on this contract is all he will get unless he really establishes himself as a solid top 4 guy.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Part of the problem is in this tweet….

I still think he can be a 4/5 guy. Top paring, not likely.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Thats a cheap contract. Hopefully he starts to break out over the next 2 years

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Part of the problem is in this tweet….

I still think he can be a 4/5 guy. Top paring, not likely.

Defensive defenseman?

Huh.... - GIF - Imgur

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Interesting stat regarding LaCombe via Natural Stat Trick.

LaCombe’s 5v5 xGF% w/ Fowler: 39.05%
LaCombe’s 5v5 xGF% w/o Fowler: 51.26%

Oh ya, and they were outscored 27 to 6 at 5v5, too.

This is not me blaming Fowler or LaCombe individually. It’s just very clear that pairing was terrible and should never be a thing again.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
I honestly think he could be a complimentary top pair guy or a really solid 3d that anchors a 2nd pair. I like a lot of the tools but acknowledge he needs a lot of refining. I think his floor is closer to a low end top 4d.
Yeah he makes some really smart plays, especially behind our own net. He just also makes some pretty boneheaded plays. My impression has been that he gets overconfident and then gets burned.

But being a young player that's not really unexpected, if he can iron that out he can be a solid player to have or at least a solid trade piece.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
D is such a jigsaw that I don’t know how it’s gonna work itself out, but I thought he clearly played at his best when he had the stretch when he got middle-pairing minutes with Gudas. The extra year at that price might be very attractive in potential trade calls as well if they decide to go that route.

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad