OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions 2023 Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It can be a humbling experience trying to break in as an NFL QB when your resume is from basically the CFL rather than some big-ticket college program in the U.S. You're not only fighting the competition for a job, but you're also fighting the stereotypes.

In retrospect it was a major mistake to try the NFL after only one breakthrough season in the CFL. But I suppose on the plus side, he earned a lot more money just languishing on NFL practice rosters.

It'll be interesting to see if he can pick up where he left off in B.C. He's bound to be rusty, having not thrown a pass in earnest for more than a season. But if he has a couple of big years in the CFL, hopefully some NFL team comes calling and willing to give him a legitimate shot.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Thrilled to have him back, not just for us, but the CFL.

When he played, he was must-see viewing. Hope he he still has that fantastic arm. :thumbu:

Reactions: TS Quint

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It can be a humbling experience trying to break in as an NFL QB when your resume is from basically the CFL rather than some big-ticket college program in the U.S. You're not only fighting the competition for a job, but you're also fighting the stereotypes.

In retrospect it was a major mistake to try the NFL after only one breakthrough season in the CFL. But I suppose on the plus side, he earned a lot more money just languishing on NFL practice rosters.

It'll be interesting to see if he can pick up where he left off in B.C. He's bound to be rusty, having not thrown a pass in earnest for more than a season. But if he has a couple of big years in the CFL, hopefully some NFL team comes calling and willing to give him a legitimate shot.
Age is also a factor. But even being 26 this year, I do think having 3 good CFL seasons under your belt and then trying the NFL at age 27 and knowing how to be a pro and doing film study at the pro level is a better chance than going down at 25 with just 1 good season under your belt.

If there's 1 position Offensive position where you can afford to be older, it's at QB, given the rules that protect you.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Age is also a factor. But even being 26 this year, I do think having 3 good CFL seasons under your belt and then trying the NFL at age 27 and knowing how to be a pro and doing film study at the pro level is a better chance than going down at 25 with just 1 good season under your belt.

If there's 1 position Offensive position where you can afford to be older, it's at QB, given the rules that protect you.
It's being reported that Rourke has signed a three-year contract with the Lions. So obviously he's their QB moving forward. The next obvious question is what happens with VA?

For now, the Lions Rick Campbell is saying they intend to keep both. And Adams is signed through to the end of the 2026 season. It's hard to see how the Lions can afford to keep and pay two starting QB's. So while the Lions may go the rest of the season with this tandem, in hopes that they can get the team to the Grey Cup game in Vancouver this November, it's hard to see how this can work long term.

So as the older QB at 31, a VA trade seems almost inevitable in the off-season.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'll probably go to the game on Sunday since he's here again.

He was just too good for this league. I don't follow football to know if he was good enough for the NFL, but it sucks he didn't get a chance.

I loved watching him here before.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Nope. He was making multiple times more as a starter for the BC Lions (even accounting for currency exchange differences) than a player on a NFL practice roster. And that money isn't guaranteed to my knowledge (he can be cut at anytime) in the NFL.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
It's being reported that Rourke has signed a three-year contract with the Lions. So obviously he's their QB moving forward. The next obvious question is what happens with VA?

For now, the Lions Rick Campbell is saying they intend to keep both. And Adams is signed through to the end of the 2026 season. It's hard to see how the Lions can afford to keep and pay two starting QB's. So while the Lions may go the rest of the season with this tandem, in hopes that they can get the team to the Grey Cup game in Vancouver this November, it's hard to see how this can work long term.

So as the older QB at 31, a VA trade seems almost inevitable in the off-season.

Rourke really hasn't played in 2 years with only 1 season under his belt. It would be wise to keep Adams for the Grey Cup

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's only the first half....but if this is the way Rourke looked in some of his NFL training camp, it's not much wonder he got cut. Seems to have nervous feet out there and telegraphing some of his throws. There's always the possibility he was a 'one year wonder' in the CFL, and that could be it.

• Haha
Reactions: Sexy Necksy Garland

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Oh no, Rourke is Casey Printers 2.0! :sarcasm:

I also have kept forgetting to watch the Lions this season because I never check the schedule of watch TSN for ads of upcoming games, so this is one of my first exposures to the new unis.

I'm not a fan of just having "BC" on the helmets just like I wasn't a fan of the weird swoopy lion previously. I just want the main lion logo with the BC in it to be on there.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

I also have kept forgetting to watch the Lions this season because I never check the schedule of watch TSN for ads of upcoming games, so this is one of my first exposures to the new unis.

I'm not a fan of just having "BC" on the helmets just like I wasn't a fan of the weird swoopy lion previously. I just want the main lion logo with the BC in it to be on there.

The Lions' best look. And please don't anyone say "gunmetal" if you insist on disagreeing. That is just insulting.

3-36.jpg-36.jpg
13-4.jpg-4.jpg

Drink it in. Bathe in it. Like the Stiffmeister would.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The Lions' best look. And please don't anyone say "gunmetal" if you insist on disagreeing. That is just insulting.

View attachment 901798View attachment 901799

Drink it in. Bathe in it. Like the Stiffmeister would.

Nostalgically I'd probably agree. Though I also liked the Dickinson era ones that were heavy on orange and white. The only thing that I wish with the above is that they had more orange. Some stripes and highlights on the black jerseys would've helped a lot.

Also I hated the gunmetal jerseys.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Nostalgically I'd probably agree. Though I also liked the Dickinson era ones that were heavy on orange and white. The only thing that I wish with the above is that they had more orange. Some stripes and highlights on the black jerseys would've helped a lot.

I wouldn't say I hated them. More like this kinda reaction.

I would love to see an updated version of the ones I posted.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

I am pretty sure the heavy orange ones were in the era where the league designed everyone's jerseys the exact same just in different colours. So, yeah. I can't. Love the heavy orange concept though. I'd have to look up past heavy orange ones.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Four straight losses, and right now this team might be man for man, the worst team in the West when if comes to offense. So many weapons, but can't move the ball or sustain drives.

Rourke may recover his form, but it's it becoming apparent that trying the NFL after just one breakthrough year in the CFL--was a colossal mistake by both the player and his agent.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

Holy shit. It's been a while. Hope you're well, Nem. :thumbu:

"weird swoopy lion"???

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Holy shit. It's been a while. Hope you're well, Nem. :thumbu:

"weird swoopy lion"???

Yeah, I keep forgetting the Lions are playing :laugh: So I've mostly been dividing my time between avoiding the increasingly toxic Blue Jays discussion and enjoying the weird freedom of being ok with the Sharks being the most awful they've been since pretty much when they entered the league. So it's been decent, bit of a mixed bag.

and the swoopy lion thing is this:

12b4a858294bf890449c6e772c79d9a8.jpg

I never liked that extended neck thing that comes off the head and runs down to the bottom.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad