Ducks & Kings to Unveil New Logos

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
The problem with purple and gold is basically right in the same building. It'd not be seen as a reference to purple being the royal color but as a Lakers knock-off. If the franchise wanted to lean in on that, they would have already done it. I think they want to cultivate black/silver as their thing because that's the look with which the team got popular first in L.A. after the Gretzky trade.
Los Angeles Lakers wore blue prior to 1967. It was BECAUSE of the arrival of the Kings expansion in 1967 that the Lakers switched to purple and gold since the new owner of both franchises wanted both teams to match. Purple and gold has just become associated more with the Lakers because of all their championship teams in that color scheme.

E3557792-2645-4909-8A74-5D064FCD2509.jpeg

Then since the Kings wanted to capitalize on the arrival of Gretzky to LA, they hopped on the trendy silver and black colors of the LA Raiders hoping to make that the hip new thing. (Since at the time, Bo Jackson was a superstar in pro sports)
Anyone here remember the saturday morning cartoon, Pro Stars? ::Wayne’s hot, slapshot!::

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Hopefully the Wild are watching (and change to this gorgeous look full-time):

minnesota-wild-reverse-retro-uniform-2022-2023-sportslogosnet-green-gold-north-stars.jpg
Agree. Love the North Stars look. I don't like the red and green scheme they've been using for years. Save those for special Christmas jerseys.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Going by that description for the Kings

View attachment 880726
Just a personal thing for me with logos, I want the image of the team's nickname to be the focal point of the logo. The Kings wording is the biggest part of this logo, as is the LA of the current one.
Honestly, LA is just better off going with just the crown, either the original rounded one or the updated sharper one as the logo.

FrozenKing18

Where is my super suit?
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Just a personal thing for me with logos, I want the image of the team's nickname to be the focal point of the logo. The Kings wording is the biggest part of this logo, as is the LA of the current one.
Honestly, LA is just better off going with just the crown, either the original rounded one or the updated sharper one as the logo.
I’m just happy that the baseplate is going away honestly lol. But yes, I do wish they just go back to the crown. My choice is to use the 80s crown on the Chevy logo. Dave Rittich uses it on his Chrome Mask.

IMG_6323.jpeg

Reactions: SlimCharles

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
I can see that.

It took me a while to fully appreciate the ‘Coat of Arms” logos/crests they went with during the purple and black era. I liked the use of Crown/Sun/Lion to graphically convey Kings and Los Angeles.
13A0F5C3-D1B0-4BEE-BC9E-E5D80BB5DE69.jpeg

It also took me owning one of these jerseys to realize that the lion wears sunglasses. 🤷🏻‍♂️
410A7373-D477-4901-A42E-B055F65EF613.jpeg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can see that.

It took me a while to fully appreciate the ‘Coat of Arms” logos/crests they went with during the purple and black era. I liked the use of Crown/Sun/Lion to graphically convey Kings and Los Angeles.
View attachment 880746

It also took me owning one of these jerseys to realize that the lion wears sunglasses. 🤷🏻‍♂️
The coat of Arms is really nice too. Sun for the city of LA. Crown and Lion for King. Almost like Detroit with the tire and wing for Detroit Red Wings. Acknowledges both city and team name.

Just might be too much going on as everything is really small given the 3 sections. Lose the details, like the sunglasses when the image is too small, like on a cap, beannie/touque, shot glass, etc.

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
The coat of Arms is really nice too. Sun for the city of LA. Crown and Lion for King. Almost like Detroit with the tire and wing for Detroit Red Wings. Acknowledges both city and team name.

Just might be too much going on as everything is really small given the 3 sections. Lose the details, like the sunglasses when the image is too small, like on a cap, beannie/touque, shot glass, etc.
Exactly. I think this logo would have been much simpler and cleaner without the crossed hockey sticks.(And their Mighty Ducks counterparts in Orange County already had crossed hockey sticks as well) Plus, Lion McShades is already holding a hockey stick as it is. 3 hockey sticks is overkill.

Lose those, and they could’ve had a neat and streamlined Coat of Arms shield on the crest.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
I can see that.

View attachment 880746

View attachment 880745

IIRC the stuff on the coat of arms came from player input solicited by management. When Dean Lombardi took over, he railed against country-club atmospheres and - amongst many cultural changes large and small - dropped the coat-of-arms logo.

I think the joke for current fans would be that the culture has changed from the Lombardi era, and the lion should be on a surfboard now.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Los Angeles Lakers wore blue prior to 1967. It was BECAUSE of the arrival of the Kings expansion in 1967 that the Lakers switched to purple and gold since the new owner of both franchises wanted both teams to match. Purple and gold has just become associated more with the Lakers because of all their championship teams in that color scheme.

View attachment 880664

Then since the Kings wanted to capitalize on the arrival of Gretzky to LA, they hopped on the trendy silver and black colors of the LA Raiders hoping to make that the hip new thing. (Since at the time, Bo Jackson was a superstar in pro sports)
Anyone here remember the saturday morning cartoon, Pro Stars? ::Wayne’s hot, slapshot!::

It doesn't matter who was actually first. The Lakers are much much more popular in L.A. and they 'own' those colors now (and have for decades) given that most fans alive never watched the Lakers before they went with purple and gold.

And yes the Kings were trying to bite off the Raiders' apple with silver and black..and it worked. Kings stuff was all over rap videos and pop culture in general from the late 80s through the mid 90s. It's not far-fetched at all to say that the Kings only truly got put 'on the map' as a legit presence with the acquisition of Gretzky and the switch to silver and black. For Gen Xers and younger, that's the only Kings they know.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I actually don't mind the current ones for either but rebrands are always fun either way.

I don't really like the Gretzky-era LA logo though so I hope the "modernisation" is significant.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Purple was a primary part of their color scheme during that era and silver was demoted to an accent. Sorry, but you're just wrong here.

Kings26.png
I have the black one, absolutely love it!

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Our suspicion in Washington is that they’ll likely get new uniforms within 3-4 years. Most likely scenario is they wait until Ovechkin retires and until Fanatics has a year or two under their belt before they rebrand.

These jerseys are the jerseys they won the Cup in and the jersey that defines the Ovechkin era so they’ll probably be pretty thoughtful about how they clhave now ose this chapter.

That makes sense. Is there a general consensus among Caps fans of the direction?

It might be nostalgia, but I loved the green/black/copper color scheme, but also the RR 1.0 that recolored those in RWB was fantastic. I also really like the "weagle" mark.

I can appreciate the update they have now where they updated their classic look, I'm just not huge on wordmark logos in general.

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Going by that description for the Kings

View attachment 880726

This logo is awesome

I can see that.

View attachment 880746

View attachment 880745
These were good too but not as great as the black and silver

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That makes sense. Is there a general consensus among Caps fans of the direction?

It might be nostalgia, but I loved the green/black/copper color scheme, but also the RR 1.0 that recolored those in RWB was fantastic. I also really like the "weagle" mark.

I can appreciate the update they have now where they updated their classic look, I'm just not huge on wordmark logos in general.
Most people loved both RRs. The Screaming Eagle is popular among the fan base, and Ovechkin has been very vocal about the black RR being his favorite jersey that they’ve worn. He wants to see them brought back permanently but Ted Leonsis also owns the Wizards and they’re RW&B as well so I doubt we’ll see a wholesale color scheme change. They did have the Blue W jerseys for a few seasons which I think was a test run to gauge response to blue as the primary color.

Opinions on the Weagle is mixed. I think nearly all Washington fans love it as a logo but a good contingent think it would not look good as a primary logo and is best used as a secondary, smaller logo.

Their current jerseys are the worst they’ve ever had, in my opinion. The wordmark sucks, there is terrible piping all over it, there are octagonal color patches under the arms for some reason — it’s all bad, especially considering they already had a terrific version of the wordmark jersey. These would be terrific even with the wordmark. The ones they’re currently wearing are awful in every sense, definitely a bottom five jersey in the league for me along with Anaheim, Columbus, Nashville, and Los Angeles.

1717949025239.jpeg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Caps have logo logo options. Their current shoulder patch of the W Eagle with the capital building under it. The screaming eagle during their blue jersey days. Or even the capital building which was their black jersey logo.

Never a fan of a wordmark for a logo (same with the Ducks jersey when they won the cup before just going with the larger D web foot).

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Most people loved both RRs. The Screaming Eagle is popular among the fan base, and Ovechkin has been very vocal about the black RR being his favorite jersey that they’ve worn. He wants to see them brought back permanently but Ted Leonsis also owns the Wizards and they’re RW&B as well so I doubt we’ll see a wholesale color scheme change. They did have the Blue W jerseys for a few seasons which I think was a test run to gauge response to blue as the primary color.

Opinions on the Weagle is mixed. I think nearly all Washington fans love it as a logo but a good contingent think it would not look good as a primary logo and is best used as a secondary, smaller logo.

Their current jerseys are the worst they’ve ever had, in my opinion. The wordmark sucks, there is terrible piping all over it, there are octagonal color patches under the arms for some reason — it’s all bad, especially considering they already had a terrific version of the wordmark jersey. These would be terrific even with the wordmark. The ones they’re currently wearing are awful in every sense, definitely a bottom five jersey in the league for me along with Anaheim, Columbus, Nashville, and Los Angeles.

View attachment 880920

That eagle is really a great look. I think the Caps were easily some of the best RR jerseys, and that's cool to hear Ovi was a big fan of the black ones. I didn't realize the owner of the Caps owned the basketball team as well, but that explains why the Wizards and Caps had the same colors both times.

I don't think that should have to be though, I would prefer an owner would treat them independently for their identity.

That W look was okay, cool idea with the monument in the W, but I don't think that should ever be a main crest. And I can see what fans think of the Weagle logo. I hope it stays around somehow, though if they went back to the screaming eagle maybe it wouldn't fit.

Those throwbacks are fantastic, and they could just keep that as a throwback in rotation. They could do the black RR as primary, a white version, and the old wordmark for either a 4th or third.

The Bolts are my second team and I hate their current look, so I get the frustration of being a fan of a team and hating their logos/jerseys.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden

View attachment 880920
As a non DC resident, I (probably unfairly) associate Washington’s blue/black/copper scheme to the Bullets—>Wizards rebrand & Michael Jordan era Wizards over the Caps. I think the Capitals were first of the three (Capitals/Wizards/Mystics) -of the then- MCI Center teams to use it, though.
77FDB2E0-01DB-41F6-9299-5A54781AA633.jpeg

1A8A7642-0D36-4CE3-A774-8F6BE3B05F14.jpeg

As you mentioned, all those teams use red, white, and blue these days, so a total color palette revamp is most likely off the table for the time being.

I wonder if they’d ever consider putting the Screaming Eagle to this jersey:
1DF332A9-4330-4210-A0C2-3F042C2812C4.jpeg

Last edited:

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
The Bolts are my second team and I hate their current look, so I get the frustration of being a fan of a team and hating their logos/jerseys.
Doesn’t help that the Lightning’s “gatorade” jerseys are similar to the Leafs’ general look.
5A914129-1C82-4F7B-BCE6-8576762AE0C0.jpeg

I’m a Rangers fan and I feel you on this. I’m sure I’m in the minority with this opinion, but I actually prefer the Winter Classic shield logo to their official shield logo. 🤷🏻‍♂️
812E93D7-B424-468D-8324-A9C5F6A29114.jpeg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad