Ducks & Kings to Unveil New Logos

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Lightning should have been on this list, and I'd like to see the Caps change away from the word mark primary.
Would love to see the Lightning back in black

Literally everyone: Use your unique colors

Ducks owner: Hey guys, did you notice the county we play in is called Orange County??

Kings owner: Remember Gretzky? That sure was cool

Most ducks have orange bills and feet

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
Apparently the Ducks are going full orange at home… Pants, Socks, helmet, sweater - at first I questioned it but if you’re going to keep the orange, lean into it. Works for blue and red, why not orange
Will it basically be this jersey/crest, but substituting anything black for orange?
CF47EC76-BF22-40A3-B275-70454F5B30CC.jpeg

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
bolts should've never ditched these beautiful sweaters

View attachment 881688
That's certainly... a take. They were an ugly RBK practice jersey template with a logo straight out of Microsoft clip art. Though the font was at least more professional than the prior iteration.

I can get missing the black if you grew up with it, but black jerseys in Florida never made much sense to me. The current set have a great Flash Gordon retro-futurism vibe to them that I love, but the most important thing is that for the first time in their history they have a logo that doesn't look like it was literally designed in Microsoft Word.

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
When you think of Orange in Hockey, you think of the Flyers. No idea why Anaheim wants to lean so hard into orange when everyone else wants them to lean into the eggplant and teal. So stupid.
Whichever direction Ducks decide to go, I personally think it will be an improvement over their current jerseys as they stand.

I speak for myself here, but whenever I take a gander (see what I did there?) at their current “Webbed-D “ on their crest, I can’t help but think of vintage Street Fighter vibes.

B3C91F37-F286-4481-977E-603A9563A05D.jpeg

Has anyone else?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
When you think of Orange in Hockey, you think of the Flyers. No idea why Anaheim wants to lean so hard into orange when everyone else wants them to lean into the eggplant and teal. So stupid.

And I don't think this is even protective because they're Our Colors or whatever. There's like 10 red/white/blue teams in ever pro sports league, so a scheme like that doesn't have ownership really.

But if a franchise begins with a cool, distinctive color set like the Ducks did, and then decides randomly to change to another distinctive set already in the league...it just seems odd. Like imagine if the Jacksonville Jaguars tomorrow decided they were going to be green and gold. Why? You have no history with that, there's a very established brand in the league that already uses it, and in the process you're abandoning a unique scheme you already had.

Reactions: Vilam and Rebels57

Ducks4Cup

Jun 14, 2022
And I don't think this is even protective because they're Our Colors or whatever. There's like 10 red/white/blue teams in ever pro sports league, so a scheme like that doesn't have ownership really.

But if a franchise begins with a cool, distinctive color set like the Ducks did, and then decides randomly to change to another distinctive set already in the league...it just seems odd. Like imagine if the Jacksonville Jaguars tomorrow decided they were going to be green and gold. Why? You have no history with that, there's a very established brand in the league that already uses it, and in the process you're abandoning a unique scheme you already had.
Distinctive isn’t necessarily cool. To many the original was embarrassing. Disney made a mockery of their pro sports franchises and distancing from that is fine

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Two reasons.

Eggplant and teal were very, very 90s colours. As we got into the 200s they started to look very, very dated. So there was a move to distance them from that very specific look.

Also - the entire look was very linked to the previous owners, Disney - in a way I don't think we've ever really seen before. So the new ownership wanted to distance themselves from a look that screamed "Disney".

Now, everything old is new again. The 90s are 30 years ago, so now eggplant and teal are kind-of interesting again. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

But the thing is - orange is a pretty strong colour too, and not much used (not like the countless blue teams), so it's not a bad option to keep either. And while their 2007 win wasn't in predominantly orange jerseys, they did use it as an accent back then.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
Please no orange pants. I’ve always liked these jerseys, but I kinda hope they go with the classic design like the last RR set. The white jersey by itself was cool, but the pants were a rough look.
A Ducks all orange set will certainly be interesting if they go that route.

I found this Flyers concept for their 2019 Stadium Series against the Pens.

9BAE0B01-74BC-4D87-9B06-C66E086B5F31.jpeg

Puts a new meaning to Orange Crush. 🍊

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Two reasons.

Eggplant and teal were very, very 90s colours. As we got into the 200s they started to look very, very dated. So there was a move to distance them from that very specific look.

Also - the entire look was very linked to the previous owners, Disney - in a way I don't think we've ever really seen before. So the new ownership wanted to distance themselves from a look that screamed "Disney".

Now, everything old is new again. The 90s are 30 years ago, so now eggplant and teal are kind-of interesting again. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

But the thing is - orange is a pretty strong colour too, and not much used (not like the countless blue teams), so it's not a bad option to keep either. And while their 2007 win wasn't in predominantly orange jerseys, they did use it as an accent back then.
Distinctive isn’t necessarily cool. To many the original was embarrassing. Disney made a mockery of their pro sports franchises and distancing from that is fine

The Bruins' color scheme was designed to match the theme of the grocery store chain their then-owner also owned. Their identity is grocery store branding.

The Flyers are orange because one of their early investors went to the University of Texas. No real rhyme or reason.

The Calgary Flames' name and scheme was the result of Sherman burning down the city of Atlanta in 1864. Looks great, sounds cool.

The Rangers name is an homage to a faraway law enforcement unit incorporated 200 years ago to kill Native Americans and Mexicans. In case you were wondering.

The Winnipeg Jets were named after the NFL's New York Jets. Seriously.

The list goes on and on and on. The origin of Anaheim's franchise was campy. There's nothing wrong with camp when you compare it to the above.

All these things fade into memory or become silly anecdotes. The people who recall the bad years or the source of the reference will all age out and die. You can't choose where shit comes from, but once it's there, you gotta look at it and decide if it works or if it doesn't. Eggplant and teal was unique and it did, in fact, work.

If they wanted total distance from the Disney years, they wouldn't be the Ducks anymore. But they are. They wouldn't use the duck mask logo. But they do. They've kept elements of that initial branding but thrown away the half that gave them a distinctive identity. They're now 30 years in and still trying to figure that out. Take what legacy you have and lean into it—don't keep trying to change the outfits and hope something sticks (*cough* Vancouver).

Last edited:

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
Dug out the Ducks jerseys in my collection to put them side by side. In regards to the anniversary jersey, I personally think they did a good job in both honoring their past while modernizing the look to contemporary aesthetics. (Notice they even re-colored the hockey sticks to current Ducks’ orange.) Shame they only occasionally wore these for one season.

EF970671-2745-485C-B720-D680F33721BF.jpeg

If they can transfer this vibe over to an “orange” palette, I’d be happy with that if I were a Ducks fan.

Looking forward to any sneak peeks if anyone finds any out there.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
its funny how nostalgia works

i remember the old mighty ducks sweaters getting shit on left and right when they still wore them and most fans (including ducks fans) loving the change

Reactions: heynowbababooey
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The Bruins' color scheme was designed to match the theme of the grocery store chain their then-owner also owned. Their identity is grocery store branding.

The Flyers are orange because one of their early investors went to the University of Texas. No real rhyme or reason.

The Calgary Flames' name and scheme was the result of Sherman burning down the city of Atlanta in 1864. Looks great, sounds cool.

The Rangers name is an homage to a faraway law enforcement unit incorporated 200 years ago to kill Native Americans and Mexicans. In case you were wondering.

The Winnipeg Jets were named after the NFL's New York Jets. Seriously.

The list goes on and on and on. The origin of Anaheim's franchise was campy. There's nothing wrong with camp when you compare it to the above.

All these things fade into memory or become silly anecdotes. The people who recall the bad years or the source of the reference will all age out and die. You can't choose where shit comes from, but once it's there, you gotta look at it and decide if it works or if it doesn't. Eggplant and teal was unique and it did, in fact, work.

If they wanted total distance from the Disney years, they wouldn't be the Ducks anymore. But they are. They wouldn't use the duck mask logo. But they do. They've kept elements of that initial branding but thrown away the half that gave them a distinctive identity. They're now 30 years in and still trying to figure that out. Take what legacy you have and lean into it—don't keep trying to change the outfits and hope something sticks (*cough* Vancouver).
The Disney stuff is overrated. The real reason they switched was because their own fans did not like a lot of the branding and more importantly Brian Burke hated it and I think tipped the scales. Mighty Ducks branding might be considered iconic now but it absolutely wasn’t when they changed it up. One could argue it still isn’t and a lot of it driven in part by nostalgia and in part because they’ve held out as long as they did.

The one clear thing I’ve gathered over the years is that the owners love orange and that’s why we’re getting to where we are now. Why it’s taken this long, I’m not exactly sure, but here we are.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That's certainly... a take. They were an ugly RBK practice jersey template with a logo straight out of Microsoft clip art. Though the font was at least more professional than the prior iteration.

I can get missing the black if you grew up with it, but black jerseys in Florida never made much sense to me. The current set have a great Flash Gordon retro-futurism vibe to them that I love, but the most important thing is that for the first time in their history they have a logo that doesn't look like it was literally designed in Microsoft Word.

While I agree with the OP, this made me chuckle :laugh:

Probably in the minority here but I always liked these Ducks jerseys. Better than the current ones IMO.

s-l1600.jpg

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
bolts should've never ditched these beautiful sweaters

View attachment 881688

I LOVE these uniforms. At first I thought it was kind of a downgrade, but after some time I realized it was the perfect update.

They could bring these back tomorrow and I'd love them. They kept the victory stripes, they were very black forward, and contained the right amount of blue, white, and silver.

How anyone could put these next to the current look and think the current look is better in any way they must just love boring, plain, and clip art logos.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad