Dreger: Duchene Mega-thread: Habs, NSH inquired about Duchene. Asking price is ridiculous.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
To maximize his value? Yes

As an example, MTL could very well sign Shipachev this summer without giving any assets away, then Colorado lose a very good dancing partner since Im pretty sure Bergevin will be one of the most active Gms at the deadline in that Duchene file..

Im also wondering if Avls fans are willing to accept 2 more years of mediocrity and risk to lose Duchene without getting any young assets when his contract expires..

We could just re-sign him next summer. We aren't going to lose him for nothing. This isn't a ROR situation.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
We could just re-sign him next summer. We aren't going to lose him for nothing. This isn't a ROR situation.

lol you really think with how bad the team is and how consistently they have shopped him around that he would just yeah lets re-sign here in Colorado?? You're dreaming.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Does Duchene want to be part of a rebuilding team and live that season again and again for the next 4-5 years?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Have you guys seen the UFA crops recently? There's a reason they're all terrible. Almost everyone re-signs if given a decent offer.

You guys are the ones dreaming if you think that isn't the case.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Have you guys seen the UFA crops recently? There's a reason they're all terrible. Almost everyone re-signs if given a decent offer.

Im 100% sure he will not re-sign in Col

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
lol you really think with how bad the team is and how consistently they have shopped him around that he would just yeah lets re-sign here in Colorado?? You're dreaming.

If that's the case, they'll trade him int the final year. Like ror

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Yes, like ROR the mercenary, doing anything he could to get to UFA. He was never going to get more than a 2nd+b prospect.

I feel like we're going round and round here.

was ror not a RFA when that was done?

Duchene now is much more valuable than as a pending UFA, this isnt exactly rocket science

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
If he didn't sign an extension. By the same logic, every single player in the league "would have been a UFA."

...Uh, what? The guy asked if after ROR's contract expired if he was going to be an RFA. The answer to that would be no, he would have been a UFA. That's exactly what I said. The Buffalo Sabres traded for a player that had one year under contract prior to UFA, and there was no guarantee that he would sign an extension at the time of the trade. It's not like the Avs traded ROR with an extension already in place.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
asking price is not ridiculous. Duchene is a 70 point player on a competent team

He notched 70pts ONCE in his career... He's a 55-60pts C.

ROR was a 50pts C with Selke caliber 2way play. His value was, and prob still is higher then Duchene's value.

I'm pretty sure h'ell get a D Prospect like Sergachev + 2nd + Plekanec OR Juulsen + 1st + Plekanec

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Sakic doesn't need to or have to trade Duchene. You're missing the entire point. The price on Duchene is high because Sakic has all the leverage in a trade.

People need to get this through their thick skulls. Duchene does not have to be traded.

Sakic is doing his job of entertaining offers. If a team doesn't want to pay the price then fine. Avs fans would largely rather keep one of their best players.

Agree on Sakic just doing his job.

Disagree on Sakic having leverage in a deal. I see this as a situation where neither team HAS to make a deal, so normal "hockey trade value" applies. It is likely that neither GM would have leverage, so Sakic expecting way too much (IMO) just means that likely no deal gets done.

Poile is a long term thinker, so NASH isn't going to move the 3-4 key assets that Joe is asking for, and I doubt that Francis makes that kind of deal when the Canes are better of seeing if they can make a deal around expansion.

Only way JS has leverage is if there is a team that a GM will lose his job unless his team makes the play-offs, and they see Duchene as a difference maker. No one is jumping to mind that meets that criteria. (Islanders maybe?)

Last edited:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Unless something changes in COL, why would MD extend?

Please note I am not saying he is going to leave, just that you shouldn't just blindly assume that hebwill re-sign. Did Parise sign with the Devils? Nielsen with the Islanders? Sometimes guys want to go, and playing in a TERRIBLE situation, and being shopped aren't strong motivators to sign an extension.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Agree on Sakic just doing his job.

Disagree on Sakic having leverage in a deal. I see this as a situation where neither team HAS to make a deal, so normal "hockey trade value" applies. It is likely that neither GM would have leverage, so Sakic expecting way too much (IMO) just means that likely no deal gets done.

Poile is a long term thinker, so NASH isn't going to move the 3-4 key assets that Joe is asking for, and I doubt that Francis makes that kind of deal when the Canes are better of seeing if they can make a deal around expansion.

Unless there is a team that a GM will lose his job unless his team makes the play-offs.

Sakic has one big advantage: He's probably got 10+ teams interested. I believe one insider (McKenzie or Friedman?) mentioned 13 teams interested in Duchene at one point. And Sakic is probably the only GM in the league willing to sell a signed 26 year old top line forward for future based pieces. He can look at multiple options, other GM's wanting to significantly improve their club without losing big pieces from their roster probably can't. That does give him leverage over individual GM's, because he can always walk away and probably get a similiar offer elsewhere, they can't.

It will be particularly interesting this off-season I think if Sakic can't get what he wants now. The UFA free agent crop, assuming Radulov re-signs in Montreal, which I think is reasonable, is going to be abysmal. Obviously a few of last years free agent signings busted, but in terms of genuine top 6 forward talent entering free agency, you had Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, Backes, Eriksson, and Nielsen, then in terms of the more tweener variety you had Brouwer, Boedker, Perron, and then you had two talented reclamation sort of types in Vanek and Staal. This year, assuming no Radulov, you have Oshie, then a host of much older guys: Thornton (might easily re-sign), Marleau (ditto), Vanek, Sharp, Vrbata, Williams, Hanzal, and Bonino. I think there's a good chance two of those guys (Marleau and Thornton) will be re-upped by the Sharks, which makes that a very, very thin list in terms of genuine top 6 forward talent that isn't on its last legs.

If teams this off-season want to add top 6 calibre forwards they can't go money-happy and try to buy a solution, I think they will have to trade or stand pat - and some teams and GM's very well might not have the option to just do nothing. I think around the draft and at the beginning of free agency will be when there is a very high demand for what the Avs are offering.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
He notched 70pts ONCE in his career... He's a 55-60pts C.

ROR was a 50pts C with Selke caliber 2way play. His value was, and prob still is higher then Duchene's value.

I'm pretty sure h'ell get a D Prospect like Sergachev + 2nd + Plekanec OR Juulsen + 1st + Plekanec

When he's had chemistry and a competent team around him he was close to point per game twice. You fail to mention his 70 points came in 71 games, and the year before he had 43 points in 47 games during the lockout.

No chance ROR had/has more value than Duchene.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Sakic has one big advantage: He's probably got 10+ teams interested. I believe one insider (McKenzie or Friedman?) mentioned 13 teams interested in Duchene at one point. And Sakic is probably the only GM in the league willing to sell a signed 26 year old top line forward for future based pieces. He can look at multiple options, other GM's wanting to significantly improve their club without losing big pieces from their roster probably can't. That does give him leverage over individual GM's, because he can always walk away and probably get a similiar offer elsewhere, they can't.

It will be particularly interesting this off-season I think if Sakic can't get what he wants now. The UFA free agent crop, assuming Radulov re-signs in Montreal, which I think is reasonable, is going to be abysmal. Obviously a few of last years free agent signings busted, but in terms of genuine top 6 forward talent entering free agency, you had Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, Backes, Eriksson, and Nielsen, then in terms of the more tweener variety you had Brouwer, Boedker, Perron, and then you had two talented reclamation sort of types in Vanek and Staal. This year, assuming no Radulov, you have Oshie, then a host of much older guys: Thornton (might easily re-sign), Marleau (ditto), Vanek, Sharp, Vrbata, Williams, Hanzal, and Bonino. I think there's a good chance two of those guys (Marleau and Thornton) will be re-upped by the Sharks, which makes that a very, very thin list in terms of genuine top 6 forward talent that isn't on its last legs.

If teams this off-season want to add top 6 calibre forwards they can't go money-happy and try to buy a solution, I think they will have to trade or stand pat - and some teams and GM's very well might not have the option to just do nothing. I think around the draft and at the beginning of free agency will be when there is a very high demand for what the Avs are offering.

Agree in principle, but the number of teams that called don't really matter if Sakic is asking for a HUGE premium. A sane GM isn't going to move a minimum of 3 high value pieces for Duchene. That would in all likelyhood be the easiest way to get fired.

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
Colorado would be wise to just hold onto him. Right now it's buyer's market because no contender is going to gut their team to get duchene. They may do that when they can pick up a guy in FA.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Colorado would be wise to just hold onto him. Right now it's buyer's market because no contender is going to gut their team to get duchene. They may do that when they can pick up a guy in FA.

Lol who are they gonna pick up in FA? The only forward worth mentioning is Oshie, assuming Thornton and Marleau re-sign.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
The problem for the habs is that by acquiring Duchene, they pretty much give up on signing Shipacyov, whom they had real strong interest in him before the playoffs were even done. They can acquire Duchene but why give up a premium prospect like Sergechev when they can just wait another season before getting a player, who's prob already better than Duchene, for free. Its pretty much half a year of Duchene vs Sergs career, which I absolutely doubt the Habs would even consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad