Dreger: Duchene Mega-thread: Habs, NSH inquired about Duchene. Asking price is ridiculous.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
lol, right. HF, so dramatic sometimes/ all the time.

Not so dramatic. The Avs will get a lot more value if they trade him before the deadline or this summer. If they wait til next season, they will have to settle to have a lot less than what they could have fetch 1 year before or lose him for nothing as a UFA.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
If the Panthers want to sell low on Ekblad I don't see how the Avs can say no. In my case I hope we don't sell this low on him despite how bad he has been since his injury. But just saying it's a possibility something like Ekblad/Bjugstad plus picks (maybe a 2nd) is offered.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
If a dozen GMs are calling about one guy then he is publicly on the market. That's not just business as usual.

What your describing is like someone putting a watch up for sale, demanding twice its market value, and then saying "Well you know, I don't even have to sell it!". Uhh, Ok? I guess you should just keep it then.

Uhhh yea, exactly. You just laid out the perfect analogy claiming to understand and yet you still do not? Well I guess I will try to help you.

As someone who sells things on ebay quite regularly, I can assure you that this is a great analogy. I put something very rare and sought after on there and ask a lot for it, even more than I am willing to accept. The reason is simple but again, you clearly have issues seeing the forest for the trees despite them being in front of you so I'll explain further. Every once in a while someone comes along and pays my full asking price. Imagine that. Happens all the time btw.

They really want that watch and they can't find it anywhere else, so they'll pay me twice what it's worth in a vacuum, because they don't want to risk missing out on it. Sometimes it takes longer for me to sell it and sometimes it doesn't. People are still able to make offers despite my asking price.

The first thing is that Duchene is the type of player which is rarely available in this league. Making him rare and highly sought after. The second thing is that Sakic isn't asking "twice" what he's worth since you can't quantify exactly what he is worth in the first place. Which is where the analogy is flawed. If you could clone athletes and 2 years ago a clone of Duchene was auctioned off, then you could quantify his value.

As it stands the analogy is still a good one and Sakic is going to be asking for an overpayment, and also more than what he is probably willing to settle for if push comes to shove. This is how you sell off something that is rare, valuable, highly sought after and hardly ever available. Someone who assumes market value on something in an ever changing market is going to get less than what that market may provide.

People in this thread should try reading about basic economics.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Non Avs fans are approaching this all wrong.

These asking prices are ridiculous not because Sakic wants to trade Duchene, but because he's daring a team to trade for him. Basically comes across as "If you want one of our best players, then you're gonna pay the price."

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Blues need a future #1 center to play with Tarasenko.........Duchene for Parayko and Fabbri.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Non Avs fans are approaching this all wrong.

These asking prices are ridiculous not because Sakic wants to trade Duchene, but because he's daring a team to trade for him. Basically comes across as "If you want one of our best players, then you're gonna pay the price."

Absolutely, he's fishing with a stupid high price hoping some sucker pays it. All GMs do it.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
is it thought that the avs want to trade MD before the trade deadline??

There is no time frame. If a team like the Habs think he will help them get over the hump, then they might be willing to give more value now in a trade then in the off-season.

Habs are a great example because they could give Avs value added, and then Avs can take back DD as well which helps their roster flush itself out. If they wait until the off-season then they might miss out on their best chance for a cup, and have to pay Radulov even more money or risk even losing him. The price might be a bit lower come the draft but it might not. Lots of variables

Avs are on no deadline though and don't even have to trade Duchene.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Blues need a future #1 center to play with Tarasenko.........Duchene for Parayko and Fabbri.

See this is what I am talking about. It might be a bit of a overpayment on the blues part but that is what it takes.

Duchene and Stastny were also bffs so that might spark some locker room good will among teammates.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Tbh...these asking prices aren't even ridiculous. They're pretty fair.

The asking price isn't even a set price. Obviously there is a huge gap between one prospect or another as well as one draft pick to another, even in the same round. His asking price could range from not enough to overpayment. There is no quantifiable asking price here, it's a vague representation of one. And yet people are going ballistic as if he means Provorov + flyers first round + flyers roster player which would be the high end in both prospect and draft pick

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

I doubt the Blues would do Parayko straight up. Losing him and Shatty would be disastrous, and I can't see Shatty re-signing when he's this close to UFA.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Uhhh yea, exactly. You just laid out the perfect analogy claiming to understand and yet you still do not? Well I guess I will try to help you.

As someone who sells things on ebay quite regularly, I can assure you that this is a great analogy. I put something very rare and sought after on there and ask a lot for it, even more than I am willing to accept. The reason is simple but again, you clearly have issues seeing the forest for the trees despite them being in front of you so I'll explain further. Every once in a while someone comes along and pays my full asking price. Imagine that. Happens all the time btw.

They really want that watch and they can't find it anywhere else, so they'll pay me twice what it's worth in a vacuum, because they don't want to risk missing out on it. Sometimes it takes longer for me to sell it and sometimes it doesn't. People are still able to make offers despite my asking price.

The first thing is that Duchene is the type of player which is rarely available in this league. Making him rare and highly sought after. The second thing is that Sakic isn't asking "twice" what he's worth since you can't quantify exactly what he is worth in the first place. Which is where the analogy is flawed. If you could clone athletes and 2 years ago a clone of Duchene was auctioned off, then you could quantify his value.

As it stands the analogy is still a good one and Sakic is going to be asking for an overpayment, and also more than what he is probably willing to settle for if push comes to shove. This is how you sell off something that is rare, valuable, highly sought after and hardly ever available. Someone who assumes market value on something in an ever changing market is going to get less than what that market may provide.

People in this thread should try reading about basic economics.

Apparently you are the one missing the point. It's the Avs fans in here that are complaining about GMs being cheap hypocrites. Every GM and fan base in the league is fine with the Avs keeping Duchene if it would cost them far above market value to acquire him.

If a guy is on the trade block you are going to get inquiries. If the asking price is laughably high, and GMs are leaking that tidbit, Avs fans shouldn't get upset that other teams don't want to pay it.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
See this is what I am talking about. It might be a bit of a overpayment on the blues part but that is what it takes.

Duchene and Stastny were also bffs so that might spark some locker room good will among teammates.
I don't think that offer was an overpayment. I think it was troll bait.

If the Avs could get Parayko for Duchene, Sakic would be faxing the papers to the NHL office as fast as he could. Unfortunately Avs will probably settle for a defensive prospect not in the NHL++.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Apparently you are the one missing the point. It's the Avs fans in here that are complaining about GMs being cheap hypocrites. Every GM and fan base in the league is fine with the Avs keeping Duchene if it would cost them far above market value to acquire him.

If a guy is on the trade block you are going to get inquiries. If the asking price is laughably high, and GMs are leaking that tidbit, Avs fans shouldn't get upset that other teams don't want to pay it.

You are so clueless that continuing this conversation is utterly pointless. But I will anyway.

I can argue about how Sakic is approaching this situation because it's logical and obvious. However your statement:

"Every GM and fan base in the league is fine with the Avs keeping Duchene if it would cost them far above market value to acquire him."

Is utterly nonsensical. Not only do you have zero idea what every GM is thinking, your argument doesn't even follow logic of what they would do. If every GM isn't interested in Duchene then why is he in the news every day? If every GM wasn't still trying to drive the price down by releasing statements like these to the media, we wouldn't still have these kinds of statements that were released more than 2 months ago when Duchene rumors were at their height.

Your personal opinion of how the Avs are asking for too much and gms are fine with them keeping him doesn't add up, because obviously they still want him or they wouldn't be crying still to the media about the same things they were two months ago.

If we go back to the watch, you know how often someone will make an offer on an item of mine, I counter and they decline - citing that it's still too much - only to come back later and ask if I will still honor my last offer? ALL THE TIME.

This is called negotiating tactics. GMs are trying to use the media against each other. We see this all the time.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I don't think that offer was an overpayment. I think it was troll bait.

If the Avs could get Parayko for Duchene, Sakic would be faxing the papers to the NHL office as fast as he could. Unfortunately Avs will probably settle for a defensive prospect not in the NHL++.

Yeah I know. I still stand by what I said, we need more proposals like that. We see 1 overpayment for Duchene for every 100 underpayments. And most of the offers look like troll bait too since they can only be offering so little because they have something against Avs fans

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
And thats what Ive been saying all along, Avls fans are dreaming if they think they will get an elite young defenseman like Sergachev for 2 more years of Duchene..

They were interviewing Adrian Dater,reporter for the Av' s last week during an intermission of a Canucks game ...He stated that the the Av's management are actively seeking a return of of a young D for Duchene (or Landeskog)..names mentioned were Carlo from the Bruins...Which does lead me to believe that Segachev would be a piece in any deal for Duchene involving the Habs.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
They were interviewing Adrian Dater,reporter for the Av' s last week during an intermission of a Canucks game ...He stated that the the Av's management are actively seeking a return of of a young D for Duchene (or Landeskog)..names mentioned were Carlo from the Bruins...Which does lead me to believe that Segachev would be a piece in any deal for Duchene involving the Habs.

Adrian dater is not a reporter for the Avs. He used to be. Now he writes for bleacher report as a blogger for the Avs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad