Dreger: Duchene Mega-thread: Habs, NSH inquired about Duchene. Asking price is ridiculous.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Something around Ghost and Duchene?

Ghost and Flyers resident numbskull coach Hakstol are not on the same page and I honestly think his career will suffer if he has to play for him much longer.

I like Ghost and value is probably reasonably close. But the fact is we have Barrie already. No need for a smallish offensive type dman. We need a bigger, more all around dman if we are coughing up Duchene.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't see anyone paying the price Sakic is asking for a player that has two years left on his contract after this season then he becomes a UFA? I guess maybe if a team is close, missing a scoring centre, and has a two or three year window, and the cap room but I am having trouble thinking of that team?

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Colorado is doing the right thing by asking for the sky and the moon. They have no reason to trade Duchene. I am not too familiar with the Avs, but I haven't heard anything about Duchene being a cancer in the locker room. Why trade away a strong 1 and 2C punch with Duchene and Mackinnon?

The only way this team is going to get better is by getting "glue" guys and a coach that will instill a structured system. For example, as a Kings fan, I would say they need their own Lewis, King, Clifford, Shore etc... These guys have almost zero value in the market, but on the Kings they are essential to helping our well-oiled machine run. If the Kings lost all of these players, and substituted them with rookies or random UFA signings, I can guarantee you that our defensive numbers would be garbage.

Colorado should also seriously consider getting Hitchcock while he is available. He is just like Sutter, and can get a team playing like clockwork.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I think the ask is quite reasonable. 2 x young 2nd liners / 2nd pair LHD. Plus low 1st.

I think the ask is ok, unless he is expecting Werenski type "prospect" coming back.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Extra Extra: GMs want a very player cheaply. News at 10.

Extra Extra: Bad GM asking for way too much for his player. News at 10.

Seriously, if every GM is not willing to pay Sakic's price, it means Sakic is asking too much, not that other GM's are being cheap or underrating Duchene.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
From the Jackets

Package 1: Ryan Murray + Sonny Milano + Anton Forsberg + 3rd Rd Pick

Package 2: Jack Johnson + Oliver Bjorkstrand + 1st/Gabe Carlsson

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Slavin is completely untouchable. He's not moving.

No real interest in trading Hanifin for 2 years of Duchene. Was interesting while the Canes were still in the mix for a Playoff spot this year, but dealing for him this offseason further limits term and therefore value to the Canes. Hanifin for Landeskog is more palatable, but I'm not sure I do it. Would much rather prefer a similar age/upside RH forward like Puljujarvi or Sam Reinhart.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
OP isn't a canes fan I don't think. This makes no sense. For what it would take to land both these guys you can just watch our great defence disappear because that's what they're going to want and rightfully so.

So we will score more goals but give up even more. This makes no sense.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I've been adamantly against moving both Landeskog and Duchene to one team because you'll typically get more value by moving them in separate deals to different teams. But Carolina is probably one of the only teams with right mix of young dman/quality prospects to get it done.

That said not sure what the value on that would be.

Maybe:

Hanifin, Fleury or Bean, Lindholm, unprotected 1st for Duchene and Landeskog

Kind of breaks down: Hanifin and Fleury/Bean for Duchene. Lindholm+1st for Landeskog

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If we're moving both Duchene and Landeskog we need to be getting back the sure thing defensemen, not the super exciting kid who should become a sure thing. Hanifin as the centerpiece of the trade works for one of them, not both.

Frankly, if both Duchene and Landeskog get moved in a deal like this, it means Sacic is tearing it down and trying to acquire as many young, high quality assets and futures as possible. I would think picks and near ready prospects would be almost as attractive. Yet I also get the idea that you don't want to ice a total **** show while going through the rebuild.

From the Canes perspective, and this has been mentioned multiple times, we don't want to give up any of our young defenders currently in the NHL. However, hypothetically speaking, if Hanifin was included as part of a deal like this then you're going to get picks (2017 1st, 2018 2nd or something like that) and a forward prospect like Saarela back. There is incredible value in the contract control you'd have over Hanifin and Saarela (5 years and 7 years). There's more risk from the Canes perspective that we lose Duchene in 2 years time to free agency. At least Landy has 4 more years on his deal. Truthfully, I doubt Ron Francis is taking any calls that have Noah Hanifin's name mentioned, much less Jaccob Slavin.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Seriously, if every GM is not willing to pay Sakic's price, it means Sakic is asking too much, not that other GM's are being cheap or underrating Duchene.

No it means that other GMs are hoping that Sakic will crack under the pressure and deal Duchene for something stupid bad.

Sakic should be asking the world for Duchene, there is no pressure to trade him. He is under contract for a few more years and is the teams best player. Unless Sakic gets the exact deal he wants then there is absolutely no reason to trade him.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

This.

Why are so many people saying that GMs are being cheap? What is more likely... "About a dozen" reported GMs being delusional and underrating the value of a player or one GM being delusional and overrating the value of a player?

If you saw a dozen people walking out of an ice-cream store stating that the ice cream was incredibly overpriced, would you immediately think "What a dozen cheap fools"?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
And thats what Ive been saying all along, Avls fans are dreaming if they think they will get an elite young defenseman like Sergachev for 2 more years of Duchene..

bear16

Dec 20, 2013
I proposed Skjei+Zibanejad+1st earlier, now I think it would be too much. Would not mind giving up something like Skjei+Hayes or Zibanejad+. Not sure it is enough for Avalanche.

Yeah... it's not enough.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Isn't New York where traded stars go to kill their careers or tank their value?

Your comment is so 5 years ago. Its cool. I guess some stereotypes will never die.

Skjei + 1st isn't enough. Zibanejad + Skjei is too much. Zibanejad does not have more value than Duchene. He may be playing better this season but Duchene is playing on the worst team in the NHL and has a much longer track record of success.

We need defense. Not centers. Duchene isn't that much better (if any better) than what we have. He has a lot of value, we just don't need him. We desperately need defense.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I don't see anyone paying the price Sakic is asking for a player that has two years left on his contract after this season then he becomes a UFA? I guess maybe if a team is close, missing a scoring centre, and has a two or three year window, and the cap room but I am having trouble thinking of that team?

Im happy that a Jets fans wrotes this, because the price asked by Jets fans for Little is pretty ridiculous too

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Zibanejad has a higher PPG average this season, and Duchene is two years older. Regardless, even if I am off on the value of Duchene in this trade, I just don't think Duchene is worth anywhere near Zibanejad and Skjei.

You are flat out wrong and will be told so for the remainder of this thread by many different people. Hopefully you can be convinced you are wrong but I dont see that happening.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

Literally just described exactly what the Habs need

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Agreed

Decent 1C but not great. Very good 2C. Two years before ufa.

He will get a decent return, but no one is selling the farm to get him.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Yeah, I know the Rangers don't really need forwards, but why not? :laugh:

Skjei+1st for Duchene? What do Avs fans think?
What do you mean "why not"? What do you mean "I know NYR don't really need forwards?" You mean: "I KNOW NYR ABSOLUTELY don't need ANY FORWARDS, but I'll propose a useless trade proposal anyway that I know will be instantly shut down by the logic I already KNOW." You already answered your own question by a mile and you still post this. The NYR forward situation is terrific, the defense is GARBAGE and you're proposing a forward? All NYR needs is a right defenseman that knows how to pass a puck.

Nick friggin Holden is a top 4 defenseman in New York right now and he was dumped by Colorado for not being good enough. NYR is the second highest scoring team in the league. What does that tell you? Huh? HUH? HUH? This is a waste of space.

/Close thread

Last edited:

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I would give Bennett for Duchene straight across but I wouldn't add anything to it.

Edit: meh actually I don't even think I would do this. I would rather just keep Bennett, even if he never becomes as good as Duchene, just because of how long we control him and at what price.

So I don't think there's a fit with the flames here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad