Dreger: Duchene Mega-thread: Habs, NSH inquired about Duchene. Asking price is ridiculous.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Also, that price does not seem that high for me.

But I'm sure there are moving factors around. We saw how valuable high-end young D are in the Hall trade, upcoming expansion, salary cap etc.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Is that really a high ask for a #1 center/top line center? This is not Catholic Charities.

Maybe the Hall trade set the tone. Im sure some GM's have mentioned this and are trying to convince Sakic is out to lunch with his asking price.

And while i have thrown out all kinds of proposals out there, in reality players are never worth as much as we think.

I mean, Duchene has not hit 60 points in 3 seasons. Sure we all know how good he is and how much potential he'd have on a good team, but at the end of the day it's only speculation, and giving up good young defenseman + prospect + 1st rounder for Duchene would make anyone think twice. It actually is quite a ridiculous asking price, when you consider probably the biggest thing you're paying for is "what he could do on our team". So in a way you're taking a risk (considering how much you're giving up), and risks are never something you should feel totally comfortable doing when talking business.

But also it's not like Sakic should be asking for anything less, that would be bad business as well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As a Habs fan who thinks Duchene is a perfect fit for the team and i'd easily accept almost any package that doesn't include Sergachev. Putting myself in Sakic's shoes, I wouldn't make any deal with the Habs that doesn't include Sergy + at a minimum. I just don't think the Habs have another piece that would mollify fans in Colorado and by extension, get Sakic off the hot seat. If a deals done before the deadline I think one of the two fan bases will be out with pitchforks and torches...

Your not the only one who thinks the Habs should do whatever it takes. But there are some like me who feel it's a no deal if Sergachev is included. And I strongly feel a deal can be done without Sergachev due to no other team will offer that as well.

MB job is to make the team better but also not mortgage the future. Fans will be fans but the Habs are not in win now mode contrary to how close we are to being a true cup contender. Duchene does not guarantee a cup

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
No, My whole argument with some people is Duchene's value is different depending on his contract term. Some are indicating his value is like he is signed long term like (lets say 4, 5 or 6+ years beyond this year). The closer you get to UFA, the less value you have in the trade market. For a guy like Duchene, the value doesn't drop off the cliff overnight but he is after all a career 0.75 pts per game over 538 games. That puts him right around the 60 pts per season average. I'm a Duchene fan but some are putting him on a pedestal and he's really a very average top 6 center (or slightly better) in this league if you truly be realistic and take a look at his numbers.

All I'm doing is probably saying what all 29 other GM's probably tell Sakic when they are talking. Aves's can demand all they want (as well as some fans), but the market value is what will be offered for a career 60 pts per season guy who has 2.5 season left till UFA.

I'm sorry but your logic continues to completely elude me. Using your logic Galchenyuk is a career high 56 point player who if I used your averaging system is probably closer to 40 and is possibly 2.5 years away from Free Agency.

Using your logic is his value decreasing? Of course not the guy is a stud and Habs fans wouldn't dream of trading him for some of the offers that Habs fans have offered

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Duchene and Landeskog to Carolina in the Offseason

I don't know if they could fit it under the internal budget, but the way I see it, Carolina could realistically make a solid offer for both of these guys in the offseason if they decide they want to push to be a contender. Also I'm really bored at work.

Faulk being off the table, Carolina still has incredible young D depth to offer.

Hanifin
Slavin
Pesce
Fleury
Bean
Mckeown
Carrick
Murphy

As well as young forwards like McGinn, DiGiuseppe and Saarela they could easily afford to move.
I know Canes fans are hesitant to move Hanifin, but I think he is pretty much fair value for Duchene 1 for 1 and with the emergence of Slavin and Pesce and the depth of prospects, he could be moved. Plus adding these two would give Carolina one of, if not, the best top 9 groups in the NHL.

So I'm curious for fans of both sides to weigh in, do you think a deal could be worked out to bring both these guys to Carolina?

To break down a possible trade for both into two:

Duchene and AHLer for Hanifin and Murphy
Landeskog for McGinn, Bean and 1st/2nd

Carolina lines if that went down:
Skinner-Duchene-Ryan
Landeskog-Rask-Teravainen
Aho-Staal-Lindholm

Slavin-Faulk
Fleury-Pesce
Hainsey/UFA-Mckeown

Have at er

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Just keep Duchene please.

This. I understand that they are having a putrid season. But at this point, it seems like they are trying to trade Duchene or Landeskog just for the sake of it.

I get that they dont want to waste anymore time losing. But this is a summer with an expansion draft where it seems several good D men are going to be moving for less than their stated value. Wait until that's happened. Its not like Duchene is poisoning the locker room, or is about to walk as a free agent.

The Avs might wind up picking up someone for an unexpectedly cheap price. Even if they dont there is an (admittedly lightweight) free agent pool. Go into the summer, draft high (or trade the pick for immediate help), possibly add in UFA, and above all get a coach that your team believes in and see if they can make a fresh start. This year seems like it was down the tubes almost from the get go (with Roy firing and EJ injury) but they're going to deconstruct a big part of their roster now, at its low ebb? Makes no sense to me.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
If we were to trade both Duchene and Landy, Slavin and another good piece would have to be coming back for the Avs to even consider it.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
way too high for Duchene, to use the sakic logic then why not Duchene + MacKinnon at 12.3 mil per season for the both and a total of 26 goals for Max P at 4.5mil per total and 24 goals by himself, the steal of the NHL, in fact Sakic should add a 1st to get that 4.5mil contract.

Nonsense like this just validates my point.

"Oh, the Avs are trash this year, so lets move their good assets ASAP while the rest of the league thinks they're overrated crap. Because, uhh, their loserdom will infect Nolan Patrick when he gets here next year?"

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
To NYI: Matt Duchene

To Col: Hamonic + MDC +1st round pick.

Fair deal for both teams

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Avs should just keep Duchene/Landeskog if they can't get the price they want. Next season they'll have Hischer/Patrick and Jost in the line up. Try and sign Shattenkirk and Kulikov with the cap space they have, Bring up Greer and Compher.

Landeskog-Duchene-Patrick/Hischier
Jost-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Greer-Soderberg-Compher

Zadorov-EJ
Kulikov-Shattenkirk
Bigras-Barrie

That's at least a bubble team on paper and the young players can grow. That top 6 is already REALLY young, do they really need to trade Duchene/Landeskog for a rebuild?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Maybe the Hall trade set the tone. Im sure some GM's have mentioned this and are trying to convince Sakic is out to lunch with his asking price.

And while i have thrown out all kinds of proposals out there, in reality players are never worth as much as we think.

I mean, Duchene has not hit 60 points in 3 seasons. Sure we all know how good he is and how much potential he'd have on a good team, but at the end of the day it's only speculation, and giving up good young defenseman + prospect + 1st rounder for Duchene would make anyone think twice. It actually is quite a ridiculous asking price, when you consider probably the biggest thing you're paying for is "what he could do on our team". So in a way you're taking a risk (considering how much you're giving up), and risks are never something you should feel totally comfortable doing when talking business.

But also it's not like Sakic should be asking for anything less, that would be bad business as well.

duchene sucks on the powerplay/avs haven't found a role for him there.

if you had to guess, where would duchene rank in 5on5 points these past 3 seasons, when he's been unable to hit 60 points in a single season?

[collapse=text]tied for 10th most[/collapse]

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
if you don't ask for a lot what's the point in being a GM. sakic needs to get the most he can to start a rebuild.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
You realize that they aren't going to trade both right? They have them both on the market because they have unique qualities. This way Sakic is able to see which pulls more value in a trade. Once one is dealt the other is off the market

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Duchene to NYR

Yeah, I know the Rangers don't really need forwards, but why not? :laugh:

Skjei+1st for Duchene? What do Avs fans think?

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
Here come the endless...."we want a young D-man with top pair upside and thats not skjei" Rangers dont have the correct D center piece and this thread goes flat from there.... honestly imo something like Zibanejad + Skjei could work but thats just me not going by Sakic's apparent guidelines

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Here come the endless...."we want a young D-man with top pair upside and thats not skjei" Rangers dont have the correct D center piece and this thread goes flat from there.... honestly imo something like Zibanejad + Skjei could work but thats just me not going by Sakic's apparent guidelines

Zibanejad has as much or more value than Duchene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad