Dreger: Duchene Mega-thread: Habs, NSH inquired about Duchene. Asking price is ridiculous.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weast

May 16, 2011
Sounds like his plan is wait until summer gives him Seth Jones equivalent ++. I wish him luck, guys that level come onto the market very rarely, He might be waiting a while,

That's okay, I'm sure Sakic won't mind holding on to Duchene.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So by that, it would be

Rielly + 2nd + Bracco

for

Duchene

Yeah.... :help: :help:

Get real dude. No one is paying that for a 60 - 70 point forward who doesn't play defense well and is really just a good offensive piece. He is Kessel as a center. No one will win a cup with him as their #1 C.

Stupid price, he won't get close to that.

It would be Rielly 1 for 1. If it's a prospect that's where the adds come in, like Serg+++ or or Hanifin+. \

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
way too high for Duchene, to use the sakic logic then why not Duchene + MacKinnon at 12.3 mil per season for the both and a total of 26 goals for Max P at 4.5mil per total and 24 goals by himself, the steal of the NHL, in fact Sakic should add a 1st to get that 4.5mil contract.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Juulsen + McCarron + Scherbak + 1st 2017 + Small salary dump.
Add 2nd if Habs make Eastern Conference Finals?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
A lot of the shine had worn off Zadorov. Grigorenko had issues but was a solid NHLer. Compher was just a decent prospect.

Plus the Avs caved on the 1st rounder they wanted.

A similar package from a team like Montreal right now would be something like Juulsen + Artturi Lehkonen + Scherbak + late 1st. I doubt the Avs would be happy with that for Duchene, though I'm not sure how much more he could get than ROR.

The shine wore off Zadorov the instant the trade happened, not before.

If the asking price is Hanifin, 1st, and a roster player, hopefully Francis stays away. Hanifin for Duchene is risky enough and a lot of canes fans are mixed about it. Add in a first AND a roster player would be too much, but may be not if that roster player is something like PDG. The canes will probably just sell off Fleury instead then if we are going to make a Dmen-forward deal.

For a dman of Hanifin's caliber, I'd imagine the adds would go down significantly.

So by that, it would be

Rielly + 2nd + Bracco

for

Duchene

Get real dude. No one is paying that for a 60 - 70 point forward who doesn't play defense well and is really just a good offensive piece. He is Kessel as a center. No one will win a cup with him as their #1 C.

Que? Dutchy may not win a selke in his career but he's become a good two way player, on top of being an elite faceoff man and 5on5 producer, who's gunna come close to a second straight 30 goal season on a historically impotent team.

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
So by that, it would be

Rielly + 2nd + Bracco

for

Duchene

Uhhhhhhh. Where does someone even start on this post. Duchene is a center (and one who is top five in faceoff percentage). He is a 60-70 point forward, which is absolutely nothing to laugh at these days. He isn't going to win a selke anytime soon, but he is good in his own zone.

And no, Rielly for Duchene would probably be straight up or the avs would be adding. I have no idea how you came to a conclusion like that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wait. Wait. You mean a GM that's offering a #1C wants, in the return, to insist on exactly what his team needs and has no interest in lesser packages? My goodness gracious! Why, that's absolutely shocking and completely unprecedented!

:sarcasm:

* * *​
Columbus should offer Dubois, Milano, Jack Johnson and 1st 2017

Should get it done in no time.

I think we'll pass. ;)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You're not actually arguing that a guy who is 2.5 years from free agency should have less value than an impeding free agent are you? You have 2.5 years on a very good hockey team to leave a good impression on Duchene to re-sign after that 2.5 years is up. And unlike ROR, Duchene has never been an issue when it comes to contract negotiations.

What's next? Dude only has 4 years left on his contract and now that is going to limit his value?

If Montreal wants Duchene it will be for a long-term relationship and they will pay as such. He JUST turned 26 and is signed through 2019. There is no rental discount here, no matter how you want to spin it.

No, My whole argument with some people is Duchene's value is different depending on his contract term. Some are indicating his value is like he is signed long term like (lets say 4, 5 or 6+ years beyond this year). The closer you get to UFA, the less value you have in the trade market. For a guy like Duchene, the value doesn't drop off the cliff overnight but he is after all a career 0.75 pts per game over 538 games. That puts him right around the 60 pts per season average. I'm a Duchene fan but some are putting him on a pedestal and he's really a slightly above average top 6 center in this league if you truly be realistic and take a look at his numbers.

All I'm doing is probably saying what all 29 other GM's probably tell Sakic when they are talking. Aves's can demand all they want (as well as some fans), but the market value is what will be offered for a career 60 pts per season guy who has 2.5 season left till UFA.

Last edited:

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
way too high for Duchene, to use the sakic logic then why not Duchene + MacKinnon at 12.3 mil per season for the both and a total of 26 goals for Max P at 4.5mil per total and 24 goals by himself, the steal of the NHL, in fact Sakic should add a 1st to get that 4.5mil contract.

[MOD]The logic you guys seem to be presenting is seriously clouded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Good for Sakic. There's zero reason to trade Duchene unless it's an offer he can't refuse. He's a young center on a great contract - not like he's something a team rebuilding needs to jettison. Wait for the right deal. If none comes, keep him.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I know a lot of Avs fans will live in denial but the parallels between the Avalanche and the Oilers from 2 years ago are pretty interesting. Oilers should be a cautionary tail for them and the first thing they should do is gut their front office and coaching staff and replace them with experienced personnel. The year before the McDavid draft Bob Nicholson was hired around Christmas time and he had Mactavish fire Eakins almost immediately and then basically put a freeze on him making any drastic moves to prevent him from doing anymore damage. As soon as the season was over they shuffled Katz old boys like Lowe, McTavish, Buchberger to the outskirts and Chiarelli was hired and he fired basically the entire scouting staff and restructured the front office with his guys.

Just off the top of my head:

- GM and POHO who is an ex player and has no front office experience.
- Rookie coach who was good in AHL but has no NHL experience and is in way over his head.
- A forward core consisting of some nice pieces.
- Garbage blue line that lacking at least 2 top 4 players.
- Worst team in the league with horrible GF and GA numbers.

A lot of Oilers fans would always pull out the "if we can't get the deal we want then we will just keep them". Problem was the team just kept being crap, the losing wore on the players and they became less engaged and other teams knew the Oilers desperation was growing and the offers only got worse.

The Avs-Oilers comparison works best if you're talking about acquiring a defenseman by trading Landeskog, not Duchene.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Good for Sakic. There's zero reason to trade Duchene unless it's an offer he can't refuse. He's a young center on a great contract - not like he's something a team rebuilding needs to jettison. Wait for the right deal. If none comes, keep him.

not so much singling you out, but i see this thrown around a lot..not just with Duchene..but he is 26..in the mind of hockey people...how long does this young period last? lo lI mean while 26 is not my age and yes would be considered..young..when does this young period end and these young players are considered..well not young

for me once you hit pretty much 25 i do not think young can be described any more for a player..especially one thats been in the league longer then a couple years

MaxxMojo

Aug 28, 2012
As a Habs fan who thinks Duchene is a perfect fit for the team and i'd easily accept almost any package that doesn't include Sergachev. Putting myself in Sakic's shoes, I wouldn't make any deal with the Habs that doesn't include Sergy + at a minimum. I just don't think the Habs have another piece that would mollify fans in Colorado and by extension, get Sakic off the hot seat. If a deals done before the deadline I think one of the two fan bases will be out with pitchforks and torches...

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Bergevin's targets are Duchene or Little for Duchene he offers Beaulieu,McCarron and a 1st if that is not enough you move on you do not trade Sergachev,Bergevin may just have to settle for the cheaper option at center Patrik Berglund in the last year of his contract.

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
not so much singling you out, but i see this thrown around a lot..not just with Duchene..but he is 26..in the mind of hockey people...how long does this young period last? lo lI mean while 26 is not my age and yes would be considered..young..when does this young period end and these young players are considered..well not young

for me once you hit pretty much 25 i do not think young can be described any more for a player..especially one thats been in the league longer then a couple years

Trust me, this is an HF thing. Duchene isn't a spring chicken anymore, but he's still young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad