Confirmed with Link: [Alter] Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
There is no circumstance under which they will "let him walk". If history is a guide, they will sign him well before the end of the season.

We let Hyman walk. Tre let Gaudreau walk.

If they don't want Marner here and he won't waive his NMC clause then the only play is to let him be our own rental and to trade him for cap space (let him walk as a UFA) in the off-season. Ekblad as a UFA?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
This will sell a lot of jerseys.
Cs for sale, got Cs for sale both colors Cs for sale🤑
lawl

I guess they might as well put it on him as the highest paid player in the world.

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it seems to do anything for his what his motivation looks like though.
Motivation, he used it all up in negotiations:nod:
Better make him twice as hungry.
I'm hoping for just hungry🍽
a letter stitched on Matthews Jersey. That is it. Literally nothing else.
Cs for sale, getch yer fresh hot Cs for sale😉
I dont think anyone but Lebron James has that kind of pull
The guy has Biebs on his side he's got lots of pull, and I mean lots!

Ohhhh wow. They actually did it.

Did someone check on Jenaya on Twitter? Lol. I very highly doubt she's taking this very well.

Then who are they going to strip the A from?
Uhmm Matthews?

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'll be impressed with the change when AM sticks up for one of his team mates instead of a team mate sticking up for him. I'm not disparaging him. I don't want AM fighting any and all. But, if I were to call out JT for weakness as 'C', it would be the team's consistent lack of fight back by its best players. I wish JT had dropped the gloves to help a team mate, to provide the lesser lights a sense of being protected by the best on the team which in turn would hopefully lead to Matthews, Marner and Nylander having the same sense of responsibility to the team. Of our best players, I only (rose coloured glasses?) remember Rielly stepping up to physically support a team mate. If Matthews shows the rest of the team that he's going to go to war with them, to fight along with them, then I think this can be a good move for the team. However, if he continues to play the same way as he has, as good as that has been, I don't believe the 'C' affects the team to any great extent...deck chairs.

Matthews needs to establish a baseline level of physical presence in the heat of the battle not to be seen as a soft giant to be picked on. That is when a Travis Konency comes knocking on your door you go unpredictably nuclear on him a la Potvin on Hextall so no one comes knocking for a long time. Then you can stand above the fray and be the dignified statesman out there to police trouble and people will know to leave you alone.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Matthews needs to establish a baseline level of physical presence in the heat of the battle not to be seen as a soft giant to be picked on. That is when a Travis Konency comes knocking on your door you go unpredictably nuclear on him a la Potvin on Hextall so no one comes knocking for a long time. Then you can stand above the fray and be the dignified statesman out there to police trouble and people will know to leave you alone.
Yeah that would be ideal but going haywire on a pest is a good way to break a knuckle or sprain a wrist and I'd rather he keep those golden mitts in Rocket form. Also it opens up the possibility of the fighter actually knocking Matthews around and giving him a concussion. There's always that.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This is the correct move.

JT being a willing participant is good of him.

Reminds me of SJ removing the C from Thornton and giving it to Pavelski.

This one is a little different. They didn’t do it behind Tavares back and then lie to the media about it!

there's only two choices

either the team striped him of the C
or
he went to the team and said to give the C to Mathews

you somehow disagree with both

I think it’s somewhere in between the two. I think they probably asked him if he would be comfortable transitioning and he more than likely said yes. Was probably more of a conversation as opposed to stripping.

Could totally also see JT going to management and saying it’s time. Maybe JT plays a little looser without the C.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Or Stamkos using his head like a speedbag

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I like Matthews as captain for sure.. Tavares is aging out anyway.

Still seems like an optics move more than anything. No major moves up front so they think this will be a change to help them figure it out? I don’t buy it

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I think it’s somewhere in between the two. I think they probably asked him if he would be comfortable transitioning and he more than likely said yes. Was probably more of a conversation as opposed to stripping.

Could totally also see JT going to management and saying it’s time. Maybe JT plays a little looser without the C.
I know people feel bad for the guy and are trying to put a positive spin on him being stripped but it's about time this team put feelings aside and are at least attempting to try to change the country club culture Dubas built .

you can't keep running out a mumbling idiot who regurgitates cliches like ''learning lessons'' after getting knocked out early every year and there's no f***ing way a me first guy who's always put himself before the team goes to mgmt and says to give the C to Mathews

and while this is more symbolic than anything else since i never believed the team looked at JT as a leader i still believe it was an important first step in trying to instill accountability in this team

Last edited:
Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Now that AM34 is captain do we think he has significant pull on roster formation?

Like If he goes to Tre and Chief and says MM needs to stay, does that mean anything?;
100% imo. I can see the Marner extension coming before the season starts too. They won’t want the distraction.

Reactions: Kazparov

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I'll be impressed with the change when AM sticks up for one of his team mates instead of a team mate sticking up for him. I'm not disparaging him. I don't want AM fighting any and all. But, if I were to call out JT for weakness as 'C', it would be the team's consistent lack of fight back by its best players. I wish JT had dropped the gloves to help a team mate, to provide the lesser lights a sense of being protected by the best on the team which in turn would hopefully lead to Matthews, Marner and Nylander having the same sense of responsibility to the team. Of our best players, I only (rose coloured glasses?) remember Rielly stepping up to physically support a team mate. If Matthews shows the rest of the team that he's going to go to war with them, to fight along with them, then I think this can be a good move for the team. However, if he continues to play the same way as he has, as good as that has been, I don't believe the 'C' affects the team to any great extent...deck chairs.
Agreed. Love Matthews but I don’t want to watch the captain picking up sticks during a scrum.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
From one loser to another. However let’s not fire shanahan who has been at the helm for 9 years with one lousy playoff round win. Pathetic franchise doing pathetic things

Reactions: Al14 and ToneDog

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
This better mean Marner loses his A. Cant have a butter soft small winger, who after 7/8 years of rnd one losses says "the stanley cup isnt an easy trophy to win, we know that and everyone knows that. Its 7 games and all out war out there, and it never gets easier" got to laugh at Marner calling it a war... come on man, you dont even go into corners or scrums.

This definitely isnt a player you want wearing a letter on your team:

"Good year boys, dont let the rnd 1 loss bother you...its the stanley cup, hardest trophy to win, its any wonder that we even bother trying! Lets hit the lake!!!"

Paul and him are going to be super upset if his A is pulled.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm somewhat surprised that they are doing it now and not waiting for JT's contract to expire.

I'd love to know what happened. Did JT offer, or was he asked, or was he pressured? If Tre and/or Berube talked him into it, I'm even more impressed with them.

Does this mean they have already decided to not give JT a new contract next year, or does it mean they will, and ceding the C is part of the deal? Or completely unrelated?

All pure speculation on my part.

If Matthews gets the C (to an extent I'll believe it when I see it), who gets an A?

JT? I have no problem with that.
Mitch? Mo? They have them, and I don't see either losing it now.
Willy? I think he would be a decent choice and it might be good for him.

I don't think there's a specific limit, but two or three is usual.

Reactions: arso40

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
No it won’t. Nothing will ever be as garbage as the Phaneuf era.
I've been a fan since 2002ish as a child. I can say without a second thought this has been far and away the most embarrassing era to be a fan. These pompous dickheads have all the talent in the world but none of the heart.

At least in the Phaneuf era we knew the team was shit and could hope for them to properly bottom out. But now what hope is there? They've tripled down on the loser core that's obviously not winning shit.

Wasted talent/potential on a bunch of unlikeable divas is a far worse fate than simply having shit players

i know it's hard for Johnny's fan club to accept the team finally had the balls to hold him accountable for his poor play/leadership
I agree, but where's the accountability for Matthews? What has he done to deserve the C? All he's done is cash cheques, give off a vibe like he's graced this team with his presence, and f***off come playoff time

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If this team couldve traded off the loser 4 and brought in Miller, Guentzal, Konecny, and Wilson they'd be so much better off. Hell keep Hyman and get Schenn when Philly shipped him off...

Guentzal-Miller-Hyman
Konecny-Schenn-Wilson

I guarantee that top 6 would've won more playoff games than the current 4

Reactions: colchar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad