Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
New jersey sponsor has been secured.

View attachment 900627
Well you were partly right.,it starts with a G…

1723514438538.jpeg

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
there's only two choices

either the team striped him of the C
or
he went to the team and said to give the C to Mathews

you somehow disagree with both
I disagree that there are only two choices. Treliving may have had a rational discussion with JT outlining his vision for the team and JT’s changing role in the team, and JT agreed with this vision. I have no idea if this is what actually happened of course, but it is certainly another possibility that goes beyond the either/or that you are proposing. There are likely other possibilities as well.

Reactions: bax

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
There's no way Berube considers Tavares and his style captain material and I'm sure a new era starting with him as coach was part of the reasoning to turn over a new Leaf. I'm pretty sure Tavares is the opposite of a Berube types of player and he's noticed JT's lack of leadership and grit from afar.

Reactions: hotpaws

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
What does doing it this year do?

They should have done it when Matthews signed the contract if anything.

Why the change in general? Does Matthews have good leadership skills? What has he led them to?

This is a nothing move regardless, the people who lead will continue to lead, I think this just tarnishes Tavares' name more and now idiots who wanted change can point to another meaningless change.
We disagree on alot of things but this is something I agree with you!

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
There's no way Berube considers Tavares and his style captain material and I'm sure a new era starting with him as coach was part of the reasoning to turn over a new Leaf. I'm pretty sure Tavares is the opposite of a Berube types of player and he's noticed JT's lack of leadership and grit from afar.
Yeah, he only has the grit and leadership to be an Alternate Captain.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'll be impressed with the change when AM sticks up for one of his team mates instead of a team mate sticking up for him. I'm not disparaging him. I don't want AM fighting any and all. But, if I were to call out JT for weakness as 'C', it would be the team's consistent lack of fight back by its best players. I wish JT had dropped the gloves to help a team mate, to provide the lesser lights a sense of being protected by the best on the team which in turn would hopefully lead to Matthews, Marner and Nylander having the same sense of responsibility to the team. Of our best players, I only (rose coloured glasses?) remember Rielly stepping up to physically support a team mate. If Matthews shows the rest of the team that he's going to go to war with them, to fight along with them, then I think this can be a good move for the team. However, if he continues to play the same way as he has, as good as that has been, I don't believe the 'C' affects the team to any great extent...deck chairs.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I disagree that there are only two choices. Treliving may have had a rational discussion with JT outlining his vision for the team and JT’s changing role in the team, and JT agreed with this vision. I have no idea if this is what actually happened of course, but it is certainly another possibility that goes beyond the either/or that you are proposing. There are likely other possibilities as well.
that's just a nice way of saying they stripped JT of the C

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
what does that say about JT if they couldn’t even wait one more year? Yikes
Nothing at all. Why wait a year if this is your plan, might as well execute it now.

Change means very little to me, Tavares not being able to rally the boys up isn't why they can't win.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
that's just a nice way of saying they stripped JT of the C
That is possible, but it is much more likely that they are saying Treliving may have had a rational discussion with JT outlining his vision for the team and JT’s changing role in the team, and JT agreed with this vision.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
That is possible, but it is much more likely that they are saying Treliving may have had a rational discussion with JT outlining his vision for the team and JT’s changing role in the team, and JT agreed with this vision.
Honestly wouldn't surprise me if this was discussed years ago, potentially even when he first signed, in that he would pass the torch over to a younger member of the team prior to the contract ending.

Reactions: WillyC and ACC1224

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Honestly wouldn't surprise me if this was discussed years ago, potentially even when he first signed, in that he would pass the torch over to a younger member of the team prior to the contract ending.
Yes, that is another possibility. I don't have any more information than anyone else, and I don't believe everything I read; however, I do give more credibility to those reporting the story than I do to some random poster on the board. It is possible that the poster is right but it is just improbable.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
yeah he had the vision that he didn't want JT as Captain so he took it from mumbles and gave it to Mathews

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Another big footed blunder. Somehow, someday this like every other time they've done it, it just wont bear fruit.

Even when the Sharks did it many years ago swapping Marleau in for jumbo Joe, it merely precipitated their long slow painful slide into the abyss.

Then again it's Dreger

Reactions: rumman

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think the plan was Matthews all along (the trend was naming your young franchise player captain), but the incident with the security guard that off season changed things. They couldn't name him captain after that. So they named JT captain. Now it's time for a change, but I bet that JT secretly is not happy. I don't know, I know I wouldn't be.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I think the plan was Matthews all along (the trend was naming your young franchise player captain), but the incident with the security guard that off season changed things. They couldn't name him captain after that. So they named JT captain. Now it's time for a change, but I bet that JT secretly is not happy. I don't know, I know I wouldn't be.
Just another lesson learned during JT's robotic journey through the NHL . I'm wondering how many hard earned lessons we have to go through before just admitting he's a mediocre player always was and that playing with the super star talent here propped up his numbers and status.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad