Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Under Coach B we may see Captain Matthews play with more grit… JT passing the C to Auston makes it easier for him to sign a sweet hometown discount.
and i'll ask you for a third time what you feel is a '' sweet hometown discount''

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
But they are going to extend Marner. It's as clear as day.
I don't see it, unless it is at a big discount and I don't see that.

I just can't see why it makes any sense to sign Marner until after the playoffs, and only then if he earns it with a fantastic playoff that drives the team to at least the Conference Championship. That's it.

He's not taking a discount, so we either let him walk or sign him for a lot that he earns. Signing him for a lot that he hasn't earned just doesn't make sense.

Make him play for his next contract. It's that simple.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Ohhhh wow. They actually did it.

Did someone check on Jenaya on Twitter? Lol. I very highly doubt she's taking this very well.

Then who are they going to strip the A from?
Matthews lol

1619742458417.gif

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
You kinda dislike EVERY move right now though.

I get it but it gets old for some, that's all I'm seeing haha.
The thing is, this team these last 8ish years has been built mostly the opposite of how I'd like to see them built.

In a vacuum I like the Stolarz addition, he and Woll are one of the better value tandems around. But the problem is dumpster diving for goalies is a symptom of overpaying a bunch of undeserving forwards.

I like Tanev. But this team isn't a Tanev away from winning a cup, in large part because of the $40m that plays at about half their value every playoffs.

I think Berube is an excellent coach, but I highly doubt that even he can make the overpaid 4 remove their heads from their asses after they've been coddled and catered to for the last 8 years and are now in their mid/late 20's.

A team might be able to win a cup with Matthews. But certainly not as long as he's their highest paid player, nor as their leader. Which is why this team continues to be a f***ing joke

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
JT's not an idiot, he would have known this was coming at some point.

This could very well have been his idea as much as the Leafs. This does not have to be awkward. JT is class. He will say

"This is Matty's team, we all follow his lead and it was time to formalize that. He will be a great captain. It was an honour to be the captain of the Maple Leafs and I will give my all no matter what letter I have on my chest".

Then he signs for four years and 12 million and everyone is happy.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Ohhhh wow. They actually did it.

Did someone check on Jenaya on Twitter? Lol. I very highly doubt she's taking this very well.

Then who are they going to strip the A from?
Likely a rotation game to game of Reilly Marner Nylander Tavares

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
translation : hey mumbles we're giving the C to Matty so we can either put a positive spin on it for public consumption or you can be pissy about it and make a scene but either way your no longer the Captain
That is not a translation; it is an interpretation. It was already English. You are just saying what you think it means.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
“So Captain Matthews, it’s game 7 in the playoffs and your team is losing in the last 2 minutes. What will you say to fire your teammates up?”

“Keep your pants up boys, believe me…..”

It’s a nothing move. Changes nothing.

Let’s see if leadership awakens something in Matthews that we haven’t seen yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad