Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If they want to keep him beyond this year, and they probably do, what difference does waiting a year make?

What does doing it this year do?

They should have done it when Matthews signed the contract if anything.

Why the change in general? Does Matthews have good leadership skills? What has he led them to?

This is a nothing move regardless, the people who lead will continue to lead, I think this just tarnishes Tavares' name more and now idiots who wanted change can point to another meaningless change.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Not sure it changes anything in terms of improving their playoff success but it had to be done.

And seeing as how none of the core guys can be moved with their full NMCs, this is about as big of a move as the team could make to shake things up going into next season.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
What does doing it this year do?

They should have done it when Matthews signed the contract if anything.

Why the change in general? Does Matthews have good leadership skills? What has he led them to?

This is a nothing move regardless, the people who lead will continue to lead, I think this just tarnishes Tavares' name more and now idiots who wanted change can point to another meaningless change.

I think out of the core 5, Tavares will probably be remembered favourably. I don’t think this tarnishes his name or legacy with the leafs. Even though it may have set us up for tough times for the cap, nothing can take away the joy most of us felt when we learned that Tavares the premier free agent chose to come home in his prime. I think a lot of people will look back on that moment positively despite the contract.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Now that AM34 is captain do we think he has significant pull on roster formation?

Like If he goes to Tre and Chief and says MM needs to stay, does that mean anything?;

Reactions: bax

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
An ambivalent shrug from me. I've never really been sold on the importance of the C anyways. It's still all the same guys in the room.
At one time only the C could talk to a ref, now everybody does so what’s the big deal? I guess Mathews gets to face the music during post game interviews.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Like I told you guys there was always going to be a transfer from JT to Matty .. it was discussed up front 6 years ago .. da only issue was WHEN .. looks like WHEN is Wednesday this week

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I think out of the core 5, Tavares will probably be remembered favourably. I don’t think this tarnishes his name or legacy with the leafs. Even though it may have set us up for tough times for the cap, nothing can take away the joy most of us felt when we learned that Tavares the premier free agent chose to come home in his prime. I think a lot of people will look back on that moment positively despite the contract.

except perhaps the years of failure that followed

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

What changes by doing this?

I don't think a lot of people look at Tavares favourably and I am sure this doesn't help.

I don't care that Matthews gets the C, this is just the change they are selling and somehow people believe this is a huge change.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
except perhaps the years of failure that followed

Maybe but I’m speaking to the initial moment of him signing and honestly I don’t blame Tavares because the first two seasons our roster was good enough to do damage in the playoffs. Defensive depth lacked a little bit

Reactions: saffronleaf

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
What changes by doing this?

I don't think a lot of people look at Tavares favourably and I am sure this doesn't help.

I don't care that Matthews gets the C, this is just the change they are selling and somehow people believe this is a huge change.

As long as Tavares is good with it, I don’t see it as a big deal. It kind of felt like Tavares would pass it up before his contract ended. I thought this would happen last season. It means a lot to Tavares but I don’t think he feels it will change his game.

Reactions: Pinkcat

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
As long as Tavares is good with it, I don’t see it as a big deal. It kind of felt like Tavares would pass it up before his contract ended. I thought this would happen last season. It means a lot to Tavares but I don’t think he feels it will change his game.
Who knows, maybe it helps him, he can now just shower and leave after a game.

Reactions: francis246

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad