Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think they'll announce a team-friendly Tavares contract extension at the same time.

Tavares doesn't get moved. He finishes out his career in Toronto, and gracefully transitions from team captain to another role.

A team player.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
IF failures are good lessons, AM should be pretty wise by now, lol.

Does it even matter who is the Capt? Like would it make the player better?

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Now that AM34 is captain do we think he has significant pull on roster formation?

Like If he goes to Tre and Chief and says MM needs to stay, does that mean anything?;
My guess is he’s already had his say, he doesn’t need the C on his chest to give his input to mgt.

Reactions: bax

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He only lived up to that contract in year 1. Disappointing the team that paid you $77m is pretty classless too. 😉

He took a discount to come here, the market rate for him was more than what he accepted.

I won't argue that he lived up to his contract, just arguing that he chose here for less money and this is how he is repaid.

What has Matthews done leadership wise to warrant this?

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
He took a discount to come here, the market rate for him was more than what he accepted.

I won't argue that he lived up to his contract, just arguing that he chose here for less money and this is how he is repaid.

What has Matthews done leadership wise to warrant this?
He had a higher offer from San Jose and chose to come home, that was his choice...he's a big boy.
He was paid $11m to not show up in the playoffs last year, is that fair?

It's a business, big boy pants on.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He had a higher offer from San Jose and chose to come home, that was his choice...he's a big boy.
He was paid $11m to not show up in the playoffs last year, is that fair?

It's a business, big boy pants on.

You realize the C is not just on-ice play, right? There is a reason MacKinnon is not the captain on Colorado.

The C being changed is just so people can pretend change happened.

Do you expect anything to change in the day-to-day?

You can lead without a letter.

It just seems like a pointless move to appease fans who think this is a change.

Reactions: Al14

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Good

If this team is going to do anything Matthew's, Marner and Nylander need to man up and lead, Matthew's is the best of them so he gets the C

Here's your chance boys, be what we all hoped you would be half a decade ago

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I think Tavares is the kind of guy to understand where the team is trying to go, and can pass off the capacity properly. It's cool that they're doing this now, it's a respectful changing of the guard.

I'd bet JT is a pure professional, and passes the C while sticking with the team beyond this coming season.

Reactions: bax and ACC1224

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
You realize the C is not just on-ice play, right? There is a reason MacKinnon is not the captain on Colorado.

The C being changed is just so people can pretend change happened.

Do you expect anything to change in the day-to-day?

You can lead without a letter.

It just seems like a pointless move to appease fans who think this is a change.
Maybe a guy like Berube would prefer a Captain that shows a pulse once in a while?

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Under Coach B we may see Captain Matthews play with more grit… JT passing the C to Auston makes it easier for him to sign a sweet hometown discount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad