Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
Actually nothing will beat the Ballard era, that was a horrendous time to be a Maple leaf fan.
This. A lot of the younger fans don't know what pain was. I remember going to a Minnesota North Stars vs Leafs game when I was about 10 and my Dad pointed up to the box and said "that's the Leafs asshole owner and everyone hates him" lol. I've never witnessed a owner that was so damaging to his team than Harold Ballard.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Brilliant move, make a guy who has never been captain at any level he has played at and who doesn't have the balls to fight back when manhandled the captain of the Leafs.

Did he get this for the fearless leadership and game changing efforts he has shown in the playoffs?

By the time he retires Marcel Dionne will have had more playoff success than Matty.

good move

Shit move.

, JT was never looked at as a leader

How the hell would you know?

and hopefully this means they have no interest in bringing back mumbles as anything more than a depth piece at close to league min or better still there not interested in bringing him back at all

You're an NHL savant eh?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
lol

from an angry fan perspective, the team knows there's no way in hell that they go back into the upcoming season with the same f*cking 4 top guys again without any changes.. i mean how many years in a row have they done this and how many more do they plan to do that

but from a business perspective of f*cking course they do that because in the regular season these 4 guys will continue to win regular season games and sell out tickets all season long

so whats the best compromise here?

Hire a new coach and change captains. The distraction method will work perfectly!!

Convince everyone that they're making changes for the upcoming season and that it won't be the same as the last.. oh what, 7 or 8 seasons? 9, 10? what. can't even remember now

New coach!! New captain!! That'll satisfy everyone and distract them from the same exact f*cking problem that's been here for well more than the last half-decade and will still be sitting here right in front of us again, rotting away for the new season coming this october. The "core 4". But new and improved!!!! because we have a new coach and they played hot potato with the "C" amongst two of them!!

More maple leaf hoodwinking at its best, it'll never ever end

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Hope it’s Rielly and Tanev as assistant captains, keep JT and Marner away from the leadership core.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
lol

from an angry fan perspective, the team knows there's no way in hell that they go back into the upcoming season with the same f*cking 4 top guys again without any changes.. i mean how many years in a row have they done this and how many more do they plan to do that

but from a business perspective of f*cking course they do that because in the regular season these 4 guys will continue to win regular season games and sell out tickets all season long

so whats the best compromise here?

Hire a new coach and change captains. The distraction method will work perfectly!!

Convince everyone that they're making changes for the upcoming season and that it won't be the same as the last.. oh what, 7 or 8 seasons? 9, 10? what. can't even remember now

New coach!! New captain!! That'll satisfy everyone and distract them from the same exact f*cking problem that's been here for well more than the last half-decade and will still be sitting here right in front of us again, rotting away for the new season coming this october. The "core 4". But new and improved!!!! because we have a new coach and they played hot potato with the "C" amongst two of them!!

More maple leaf hoodwinking at its best, it'll never ever end

So, no matter how much change they make, you won't be happy unless they break up the core four? That's what I am reading here.

They all have NMC.

This makes moving them virtually impossible. So, you aer yourself up for a "I won't be happy unless they do the impossible this off-season"?

I thin this organization has made a lot of changes in Treliving's first full year. He has been here just over 12 months (new GM). We have a new coach and a few new coaches, we have a new captain, we have overhauled the D, we have a new G tandem, and did NOT sign Marner or Tavares to expensive extensions.

It feels to me like they made as much change as they possibly could have. People seem to gloss over the difference a coaching change could make. This could be a completely different feeling team this year. We could still see line up changes, such as Domi with Matthews, Nylander to 2C, JT to 3C and some youth integrated in.

Reactions: TIGERCOOL

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Hope it’s Rielly and Tanev as assistant captains, keep JT and Marner away from the leadership core.
It would be odd to give Marner's A to a brand new player to the organization. With how much is at stake it seems unlikely they would do that given how sensitive about things Mitch can be. Tho I agree with the sentiment. You want players who will fight and compete and bleed blue given letters. I don't think I've ever seen JT do anything to resolve issues but stare sternly at an opposing player and talk angrily to a referee.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
what is your definition of a successful captaincy?
Controlling the room.
Leading mates off ice, on ice, controlling coach team relationships, and speaking an honest message to the press.
Cheap press speak will only sink his legacy.
To be a successful captain you do not need to be the toughest guy on the team, don't need to be a fighter, don't need to be the leading scorer, but you do need to be the strongest willed player on and OFF the ice.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This is just spoiling a misbehaving child, he’ll only feel more entitled now, if that’s possible……..

Reactions: Chief Leaf

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
The A's should stay with Rielly and one given to Tavares.

Marner doesn't deserve to wear it, and the foolishness that was switching up the A between players last year screams Paul Marner and the Marner hissy fits we've seen since being drafted.

Walk Marner to UFA, and sign a guy like Konecny. A guy who cares. Bring Tavares back on a short, team friendly deal, or move on as well.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
I don't know if some of the comments in this thread are sarcasm or not.

To me, whatever. He's the best player, the highest player, he should be captain. Does it mean a thing at all to how the team plays on the ice? I don't think so.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
This is just distraction from the fact that they are running it back again for the 9th time

Reactions: Al14

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Matthews being captain is fine, but the timing is weird. Either do it last year when he re-signed, or next year when Tavares runs out. This just creates an unnecessary distraction for no reason. Just a way to pretend like they're doing something.

Reactions: Madap

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Seems like this was the plan all along, using Tavares final season as a transition year. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve started talking extension and this is all part of it.
I get why they’re giving it to Matthews but I’m indifferent to it.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
The A's should stay with Rielly and one given to Tavares.

Marner doesn't deserve to wear it, and the foolishness that was switching up the A between players last year screams Paul Marner and the Marner hissy fits we've seen since being drafted.

Walk Marner to UFA, and sign a guy like Konecny. A guy who cares. Bring Tavares back on a short, team friendly deal, or move on as well.
Konecny just reupped with Philly long term.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
This is just distraction from the fact that they are running it back again for the 9th time
Do people really think FO is sitting around dreaming up ways to dupe the fanbase while they sabotage the success of the team for kicks? We knew we wouldn't be able to move Marner and Tavares unless those players allowed it to happen.

The reality is simpler. You use the resources available to improve the roster and change the culture while you wait out the last year of Tavares and Marner's contracts.

Under those circumstances, consider the following: we suddenly have our strongest blueline in recent memory. Our goaltending tandem is far more promising and signed at a very reasonable price point. We locked up our best depth forward long term and below market value. We have a new leadership duo in Berube and Matthews.

I thought after resigning Nylander and Matthews that this season in particular would be a write off. Surprisingly, we instead have our most balanced roster in the Matthews era.

Please tell me what exactly some of you would have done in Treliving's shoes. Held a gun to Marner's head to make him accept a trade?

It's just such a strange and reductive view of how decisions are made at that level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad