TSN: Dreger: Detroit won't be swapping 1st, 2nd or a quality prospect for a rental

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
There are no significant RHD upgrades available via trade.

Few would have been happy if KH had paid Toronto's price for Franson...particularly as the price would likely have been even higher for Detroit.

If Detroit can get Yandle to run on the left side for anything approaching reasonable then perhaps we have:

Kronwall - Ericsson
Yandle -Quincey
DDK - Marchenko
Smith/Kindl

Maybe DDK and Yandle are swapped. Still doesn't really knock my socks off, but it's a more significant change than anything involving Petry imo.

Overclass*

Well the point is that Holland is waiving the white flag saying he will not get involved in discussions for a guy who could make us a better hockey club. That's gotta inspire your team, like the time he traded for Kyle Quincey and the team more or less stumbled to the end of the season.

Holland has no stomach for the risk required to make a move that could result in what will likely be our last chance at a Stanley Cup in probably 5-10 years. Babcock has been asking for a RHD for years and Holland has done nothing other than strike out with free agents.

You add a quality RHD and it improves the team. The problem is our GM has no stomach for making that sort of trade. He's happy to just make the playoffs and keep the streak going.

I didn't get that impression at all. Sounds like he just doesn't want to mortgage the future for a marginal upgrade that won't be here long term, a la Legwand. Basically I think he's in a "go big or don't go at all" mentality, aka not trading a 1st for a good but not great d like Petry. If he gets an offer to add a Keith Yandle for mainly futures I doubt he has the same mindset.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
This summer our defense will look like this:

Kronwall-Green
Yandle-Dekeyser
Ericsson-Marchenko

And life will be good.

I am NOT living in a fantasy land.

Dreams do come true.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'd like an upgrade at D, but I don't think that changes my thoughts going into the playoffs. My expectation this year is the conference finals, depending on the showing my expectations can change, but conference finals is expected. This team is nothing like last years team, the mindset is completely different, the players abilities are much more.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
142.gif

Hey, Smith has had plenty of chance to show his ability (or lack thereof depending on who one asks.) His time is up. I'd rather cut our losses before ending up with Kindl 2.0.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Well the point is that Holland is waiving the white flag saying he will not get involved in discussions for a guy who could make us a better hockey club. That's gotta inspire your team, like the time he traded for Kyle Quincey and the team more or less stumbled to the end of the season.

Holland has no stomach for the risk required to make a move that could result in what will likely be our last chance at a Stanley Cup in probably 5-10 years. Babcock has been asking for a RHD for years and Holland has done nothing other than strike out with free agents.

You add a quality RHD and it improves the team. The problem is our GM has no stomach for making that sort of trade. He's happy to just make the playoffs and keep the streak going.

Do you have any fun being a Wings fan? He's not trading top prospects and picks for short-term rentals. I don't see why anyone would argue against that. Nobody wants another Legwand deal.

Earlier this season a lot of people suggested trading Tatar in a package for a defenseman while replacing him with Pulkkinen. Those people look pretty dumb right now. If you want the Red Wings to get a top 4 defenseman then be prepared to lose players like Sheahan or DeKeyser or maybe more.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Hey, Smith has had plenty of chance to show his ability (or lack thereof depending on who one asks.) His time is up. I'd rather cut our losses before ending up with Kindl 2.0.
This is how I feel about it as well. We have Ouellet and Marchenko who can take his spot. Then Work on finding a top 3 d in FA or a bigger trade.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

He's only 25 (fairly young for a D-man), he's barely played 2 full NHL seasons. He's not a finished product. He's a much better defensive player than Kindl. The way Smith and Kindl are/were deployed isn't remotely similar.

While he doesn't often face the highest QoC (which is not up to him how he's deployed) the advanced stats suggest he's been a solid player for us this year. No he isn't perfect, it would be nice to see some more offensive production and continue to cut down the turnovers. Remains to be seen if he can make the next step in his career. But to say he's flat out terrible is just ridiculously ignorant.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
He's only 25 (fairly young for a D-man), he's barely played 2 full NHL seasons. He's not a finished product. He's a much better defensive player than Kindl.

While he doesn't often face the highest QoC (which is not up to him how he's deployed) the advanced stats suggest he's been a solid player for us this year. No he isn't perfect, it would be nice to see some more offensive production and continue to cut down the turnovers. Remains to be seen if he can make the next step in his career. But to say he's flat out terrible is just ridiculously ignorant.

He didn't say he's flat out terrible.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

He's already way better than Kindl. And he's also night and day better than he was 2 years ago.

Having said that, I don't think he will ever fit in under Babcock so I would be happy trading him in a package for an upgrade on D. Acquiring Petry is not an upgrade.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
For the record Smith is flat out terrible. I hope he gets it turned around and proves me wrong but I do not see it happening.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
For the record Smith is flat out terrible. I hope he gets it turned around and proves me wrong but I do not see it happening.

I don't think he's terrible, but he's not been great at anything. Hope Smith is just trying too hard in a contract year, but frankly I'm sick of seeing him make the same mistakes again and again. He's in Babs' doghouse for a reason. I'd rather see him moved then re-signed. It's time he steps aside so XO/Marchenko/Jensen/Sproul get some IT.

If we see Marchenko on the 1st or 2nd pairing tonight rather than Smith, it'll be real obvious where Smith sits on the depth chart.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I didn't get that impression at all. Sounds like he just doesn't want to mortgage the future for a marginal upgrade that won't be here long term, a la Legwand. Basically I think he's in a "go big or don't go at all" mentality, aka not trading a 1st for a good but not great d like Petry. If he gets an offer to add a Keith Yandle for mainly futures I doubt he has the same mindset.

No, there's nothing in his comments that suggest he's in go big mode. I'm sure he "asked around" about the cost for Myers because Babcock has been in his ear for years about the need for a RHD, but Holland is in his element right now with the team being a lock for the playoffs and no pressure on him to upgrade the roster. Last year he only made a trade out of desperation due to all the injuries. That certainly wasn't a go big trade, that was a get fleeced because you are trading from a position of weakness trade.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Oh please by all means explain how Brendan Smith is terrible at hockey.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I don't think he's terrible, but he's not been great at anything. Hope Smith is just trying too hard in a contract year, but frankly I'm sick of seeing him make the same mistakes again and again. He's in Babs' doghouse for a reason. I'd rather see him moved then re-signed. It's time he steps aside so XO/Marchenko/Jensen/Sproul get some IT.

If we see Marchenko on the 1st or 2nd pairing tonight rather than Smith, it'll be real obvious where Smith sits on the depth chart.

No it won't because Marchenko is RH and that can make all the difference to Babcock who's been lusting for a RH shot forever. Smith was getting double shifted in OT against Chicago, so apparently the coaching staff was pleased with him. And it would make sense because he had a great game against Chicago.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The Brendan Smith defense force is always good for a laugh. The guy isn't a top 4 defenseman and is a borderline NHL player. His minor offensive threat he provides is far outweighed by his terrible defensive plays and decisions. I'd much rather have Kindl in the lineup.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015

We have a winner here! I'm glad you get it. Once D, Z, and Kronwall are gone, so are any chances at the Cup. As soon as they start to rapidly decline, this team's window is closed. This year, or possibly next year (depending on health) will most likely be our last chance to win a cup for a LONG time. Who cares if Holland has to mortgage our future to win now. It's not like there's a future to mortgage without Z,D, or Kronwall (in terms of competing for the Cup). I'm tired of the round 1 and 2 exits. Acquiring a Yandle or a Sekera may put us over the top this year. I wish Holland would go all in and make a deal happen. Holland knows the window is closing, is he really just going to sit down and do nothing? If he wants to get his 4th Cup as GM, the clock is ticking and its almost at zero.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
Smith has a decent physical skill set but his intelligence and hockey IQ is what makes him terrible.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
No it won't because Marchenko is RH and that can make all the difference to Babcock who's been lusting for a RH shot forever. Smith was getting double shifted in OT against Chicago, so apparently the coaching staff was pleased with him. And it would make sense because he had a great game against Chicago.

Meh. DDK is not right handed and he's above Smith on the depth chart. Many complain about seeing E on the top pairing, but night in and night out Babs sees him as a better option there.

I saw Smith on the PK and was a bit surprised with the decision. In the 2nd period and shorthanded Smith chose to send a weak pass up the middle from behind his own goal line resulting in a turnover which Jimmy had to bail him out on.

He's better than he was years ago defensively, but he's not a great puck mover and his offense has dried up. I still prefer him to Kindl, but not by all that much.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
The Brendan Smith defense force is always good for a laugh. The guy isn't a top 4 defenseman and is a borderline NHL player. His minor offensive threat he provides is far outweighed by his terrible defensive plays and decisions. I'd much rather have Kindl in the lineup.

What's funny is people showing they don't pay attention at all and regurgitate the same garbage that no longer applies because it's convenient.

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
We have a winner here! I'm glad you get it. Once D, Z, and Kronwall are gone, so are any chances at the Cup. As soon as they start to rapidly decline, this team's window is closed. This year, or possibly next year (depending on health) will most likely be our last chance to win a cup for a LONG time. Who cares if Holland has to mortgage our future to win now. It's not like there's a future to mortgage without Z,D, or Kronwall (in terms of competing for the Cup). I'm tired of the round 1 and 2 exits. Acquiring a Yandle or a Sekera may put us over the top this year. I wish Holland would go all in and make a deal happen. Holland knows the window is closing, is he really just going to sit down and do nothing? If he wants to get his 4th Cup as GM, the clock is ticking and its almost at zero.

Sorry...but this borders on ridiculous. Z, D and Kronwall, while older and declining are not going anywhere for at least a few years. The next wave of talent is already here. In the meantime continue to plug and acquire.

To suggest that the window is closing rapidly is not really based in reality.

Reality is that this team is on the uptrend.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

If you want to see something really funny, watch Kindl try to retrieve a puck in the corners.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
What's funny is people showing they don't pay attention at all and regurgitate the same garbage that no longer applies because it's convenient.

Tell me...what is Brendan Smith good at? What has he shown that makes KH resign him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad