TSN: Dreger: Detroit won't be swapping 1st, 2nd or a quality prospect for a rental

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
I'm not enjoying the idea that Quincey and DeKeyser are a locked in stone pairing. Ugh. Quincey was a band-aid signing after Holland struck out on like 6 other guys this off-season. Why is he locked into this team after half a season of modest play?

They have been decent together, but the reason I put them together on most of my post is because there is only so much you can do with 1 new D from TDL.

1.I think Kronwall and DD will stay on Left side for 1st and 2nd pairing respectively since that's their best position. (DD on right side could work but might take time to adjust)

Kronwall - xxx
DD - xxx
xxx - xxx

2a. If we get a D that prefers playing left side(no matter if he is LH or RH) like Sekera
Kronwall - xxx
DD - xxx
NewD - xxx
Now you fill in the rest with Ericsson, Q, etc.

2b-1. If we get a D that prefers playing right side or good on both side(again doesn't matter if he is LH or RH), that can play top 4
Kronwall - New D
DD - Q
xxx - xxx
I just think DD - Q pairing is better than Kronwall - Ericsson pairing so I will break that up, but that just my opinion.

2b-2 Same as 2b-1 but more of depth D.
Kronwall - Ericsson
DD - Q
xxx - New D

Not saying this is the best way but I think Kronwall will adjust with new partner a lot better than DD due to his experience and skill level.
I don't want DD trying to adjust to a new partner in 20 games and be ready for the playoff.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Quincey has been and is playing some of the best defense on the team yet people want to pretend that fuggin' Petry is a better defender? Only on HFBoards.

It's not the most telling stat, and he plays on the Oilers, but he's -25. I won't argue that he moves the puck better than Quincey, but a better defender? Get a grip.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
The wings can trade "a third rounder" without it being this year's third rounder, folks.

While true, teams usually prefer the draft pick of that year. Usually next year's draft pick is valued lower (assuming they don't really have preference on the draft year. which isn't the case since 2015 draft is getting a lot of hype).

So if some team offers 3rd in 2015, Wings would have to usually offer 3rd in 2016+. (assuming the team isn't too far away from Wings in the standings)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Quincey has been and is playing some of the best defense on the team yet people want to pretend that fuggin' Petry is a better defender? Only on HFBoards.

It's not the most telling stat, and he plays on the Oilers, but he's -25. I won't argue that he moves the puck better than Quincey, but a better defender? Get a grip.

Only on HFBoards?

How many phone calls did Holland make before using Quincey as a last resort?

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Only on HFBoards?

How many phone calls did Holland make before using Quincey as a last resort?
That has nothing to do with how he's currently playing. He's not the best but Petry being a better defender than him? Come on. As it stands right now Quincey is playing physical, nearly mistake free defense. If people want to turn a blind eye to that then so be it.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

Be that as it may, pairing him with a solid defensive guy (ugh... Quincey?) would offset that tremendously. Let him be the offensive catalyst/PP QB he can be while he settles into the system... he'll pick up what Babcock is putting down soon enough.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Be that as it may, pairing him with a solid defensive guy (ugh... Quincey?) would offset that tremendously. Let him be the offensive catalyst/PP QB he can be while he settles into the system... he'll pick up what Babcock is putting down soon enough.
I won't argue that. People shouldn't be trying to sell that he's a better defender than Quincey though.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That has nothing to do with how he's currently playing. He's not the best but Petry being a better defender than him? Come on. As it stands right now Quincey is playing physical, nearly mistake free defense. If people want to turn a blind eye to that then so be it.

Okay, so can we trade Quincey next year for the prices these guys are going to haul in, then? That would be pretty great.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I won't argue that. People shouldn't be trying to sell that he's a better defender than Quincey though.

Well, I think the issue is more so that Petry plays for the Oilers, and gauging his defensive acumen from his time there might not be the best method.

I mean -25 is scary, but it's the Oilers.

Claypool said:
I like Quincy this season.

Don't remind me how hard it is to not hate him this year... :banghead:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Okay, so can we trade Quincey next year for the prices these guys are going to haul in, then? That would be pretty great.
Not a chance Holland trades him again. Quincey is a fine #4 or #5. Pick up Petry and have DeKeyser protect him on the second pairing or have Marchenko play with DeKeyser and have your bottom pairing be Quincey and Petry.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Many bash on Q because of his past blunders, but he's playing solid hockey this year and it's not all that debatable. He's even got a little bit of mean streak workin' this year...and it's not even his contract year. Which Blackhawk did he nearly scalp Wednesday night?

I suspect Petry would have a brief honeymoon and then the critiques would start up on him and he'd soon replace Q/Smith/Ericsson/Kindl as the top target to receive a lashing. He gets cut a metric tonne of slack because he plays on a horrid (alleged) team and because he looks a bit better now that he's gunning for a new contract. While he brings some aspects the Wings woefully lack, he is not physical and he is not great in his own end.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Well, I think the issue is more so that Petry plays for the Oilers, and gauging his defensive acumen from his time there might not be the best method.

I mean -25 is scary, but it's the Oilers.
He'd be commanding more than an early to mid round draft pick if he played good defense paired with his puck moving skills

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
He'd be commanding more than an early to mid round draft pick if he played good defense paired with his puck moving skills

How much of Petry do you watch again? You looked up the most hated stat in hockey and "analyzed" him, despite him being on a garbage team. :help:

Same damn thing happened with Myers on here.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Many bash on Q because of his past blunders, but he's playing solid hockey this year and it's not all that debatable. He's even got a little bit of mean streak workin' this year...and it's not even his contract year. Which Blackhawk did he nearly scalp Wednesday night?

If Quincey is going to be a regular minute cruncher on this blueline, we have a really, really, really average blueline.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
How much of Petry do you watch again? You looked up the most hated stat in hockey and "analyzed" him, despite him being on a garbage team. :help:

Same damn thing happened with Myers on here.
No, you're just assuming **** and then threw a :help: sign around like you somehow know?

I don't think I'm the one that needs :help: bud

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Play nice, folks. You're debating about a fringe 2nd line defender, after all. Nothing to get too worked up about by my estimation. ;)

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
If Quincey is going to be a regular minute cruncher on this blueline, we have a really, really, really average blueline.

Q is a regular minute cruncher and the Wings do have a pretty average blueline.

The question is...does Petry make the blueline much better? You fire off a prospect and a pick for Petry and then try to re-sign him for $4-5m x 4-5 years in the summer. Is the Wings blueline a whole lot better at that point?

I really don't think Jeff Petry is worth all this. I suspect if KH did the above, Petry ends up on the 3rd pairing at least until Q is gone. It's just not much of an upgrade at all.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005

I suspect Petry would have a brief honeymoon and then the critiques would start up on him and he'd soon replace Q/Smith/Ericsson/Kindl as the top target to receive a lashing. He gets cut a metric tonne of slack because he plays on a horrid (alleged) team and because he looks a bit better now that he's gunning for a new contract. While he brings some aspects the Wings woefully lack, he is not physical and he is not great in his own end.
Basically the Wings currently lack skill while having only a few solid defenders (Kronwall, DD and Quincey). Give me a guy like Petry who can bring an element this team sorely lacks and bring BALANCE to that unit. Smith, Ericsson, Quincey and Kindl have gotten ripped at times because they provide nothing offensively to offset whatever blunders they have with the puck or mistakes they make in their own end. If Petry is getting the puck up the ice and contributing on the PP I'm sure most can live with him losing a battle or having bad positioning at times.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Basically the Wings currently lack skill and have a few solid defenders (Kronwall, DD and Quincey). Give me a guy like Petry who can bring an element this team sorely lacks and bring BALANCE to that unit. Smith, Ericsson, Quincey and Kindl have gotten ripped at times because they provide nothing offensively to offset whatever blunders or mistakes they make in their own end. If Petry is getting the puck up the ice and contributing on the PP I'm sure most can live with him losing a battle or having bad positioning at times.

Tough to see him on a PP unit as long as Babs is coach. Petry as the only Dman out there on a 4-1 unit? Don't see it.

Also I think the idea of living with Petry making some bonehead plays behind his own blueline is a whole lot easier to stomach as long as he's doing it in an Oilers sweater.

If the Wings are going to give up stuff for a rental, I'd really prefer it be a rental that's a significant upgrade. That ain't Jeff Petry imo and I wouldn't be hyper about signing him to a 4-5 yr deal this summer either, but it seems that's what he's gunning for.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Not even an attempt to answer? Enjoy the stat sheets, bud.
Why bother answering someone who has already concluded what I know? No matter what I answer it won't change anything. I've watched them/him play no more than 10 times this year. Haven't bothered to look at his stats until his name started to be thrown around more frequently because quite frankly outside of moving the puck well he isn't anything to write home about. It just so happens that is what the Red Wings need, if they can get him pretty cheap, why not?

edit: Say they can get him cheap. All you do is pair him with DeKeyser on the second pairing. Or drop him and Quincey to the third pairing, bump Marchenko up to the second with DeKeyser. Either way he'll have someone that can pick up some slack in their own end.

Last edited:

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Tough to see him on a PP unit as long as Babs is coach. Petry as the only Dman out there on a 4-1 unit? Don't see it.

Also I think the idea of living with Petry making some bonehead plays behind his own blueline is a whole lot easier to stomach as long as he's doing it in an Oilers sweater.

If the Wings are going to give up stuff for a rental, I'd really prefer it be a rental that's a significant upgrade. That ain't Jeff Petry imo and I wouldn't be hyper about signing him to a 4-5 yr deal this summer either, but it seems that's what he's gunning for.
Take a look at Petry in action...or check out his scouting report. His strengths (great passer, excellent in transition, good accurate shot from the point) are things we don't have on the blue line. Forget him being a RH shot...just his skill set is something we need. A "significant upgrade" isn't about getting the best player...it's about upgrading an area of NEED. For THIS Wings team with this CURRENT roster Petry is definitely a significant upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad