Proposal: Draisaitl for a cheaper 1 C with a + maybe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Tanev isn't really injured that much, I still think it's a good deal for both sides. Horvat is a perfect 2C with 1C upside that he is likely to reach. He drives the play and makes people around him better.y

Add a top pairing RH defenseman to that, all for the same cap hit of Draisaitl, and it would be hard to make a case for Oilers not being a better team after the trade is done.

uhhh what? He's literally injured every single year. He's never played more then 70 games in a season. He's missed 72 games the past 4 years, he literally misses on average 18 games a season. Sorry, someone who only averages 64 games a season is definitely a player who is injured often and regularly. Edmonton should not be moving Draisaitl for Horvat and Tanev. Swap out Tanev for Juolevi and its far more fair then Horvat and Tanev.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Honestly, EDM should just trade RNH and extend Draisaitl at ~8.5-9m.

Yup, that's what I'd do and to keep LD I wouldn't care if I got basically nothing for RNH (you will get something for him but maybe not as much as you were hoping to get).

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Oilers can actually afford to bridge Draisaitl.. if they give him the full term they will have the same situation in 8 yrs... McDavid negotiations while Drai taking back seat... 4 year bridge deal staggers the 2 big contracts and keeps AAV low for Drai short term..

4 yrs x 7M and then 10M x 8yrs = 108M over 12yrs

Comes to 9M per x 12 yrs

Give him 8.5x8 now and thats 68M til he is 30... doubt the Oilers would want to give him another 8yr deal afterwards considering they have McD already.

Bridge deal works for both parties and gets Draisait welll over 100M

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that a bridge is the wrong way to go necessarily. The point is, after a bridge deal you will be in a position of needing to pay a (hopefully) better player than now a higher salary, as well as paying more due to "buying out" more UFA years.

If he has the best case scenario career, Draisatl would probably make more if he took a 3-4 year bridge and really cash in afterward.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Hmm, what would you think of something like this:

To Edm: Simmonds + Patrick
To Phi: LD + Pulj

Oilers get an ELC center with #1/2 potential and a stud power forward (damn they'd be tough to okay against) and Flyers get what SHOULD be (provided Patrick doesn't go ape **** on the league and turn out better than LD) and a young scoring winger.

Well, the more I think about it I don't think I'd do it from our end

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I'd rather lose Draisaitl for nothing to the KHL than have to go up against Kopitar and Draisaitl five times a season and in the playoffs.

The ask from LA would be an extended Doughty.

Well, good luck with that. There's only one player in the league an extended Doughty would be traded for. He's on the Oilers, it just isn't Draisaitl.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
RNH should be traded before Drai. Though RNH is underwhelming for his contract, if you could get a desperate team like MTL to take him, it'd be a good win for EDM.

McHartRoss

Nov 23, 2015

Oilers get an ELC center with #1/2 potential and a stud power forward (damn they'd be tough to okay against) and Flyers get what SHOULD be (provided Patrick doesn't go ape **** on the league and turn out better than LD) and a young scoring winger.

Oilers would say no, there giving up arguably the two most valuable pieces in the deal. Nothing against Patrick but we would prefer players who are guaranteed ready now. Patrick might be a year away and Oilers want to take advantage of McDavids last elc year. Couturier+Simmons would make more sense but even then I would still pass. Couturier or provorov are the only players I would want in a deal for Drai or pulj. I doubt flyers fans would like that but hey you gotta give to get.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Maybe it is me but Draisaitl has much more value then Patrick , adding Simmonds doesn't get you Puljujarvi

Patrick + Simmonds for Draisaitl + Benson

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

Simmonds doesn't have enough term. UFA in two years.
Oilers need some experience at the #2C if it's not Draisaitl - Patrick won't be that guy.
I'd do the deal if Simmonds gives me a 4 yr extension. Nolan Patrick I takes trades bids on and flip him again

Last edited:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Well, good luck with that. There's only one player in the league an extended Doughty would be traded for. He's on the Oilers, it just isn't Draisaitl.

maybe not equal in value if they were the same age and contract status.
Oilers don't take on Doughty for LD due to his contract status. UFA in 2 years

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
That's what I thought when I read the OP. MacKinnon too?...

I guess I just have to keep posting this...
Seguin, 21 points in 49 playoff games.
Daisaitl will reach 21 points at around 16 games

Seguin can't shine Draisaitl's shoes

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
I guess I just have to keep posting this...
Seguin, 21 points in 49 playoff games.
Daisaitl will reach 21 points at around 16 games

Seguin can't shine Draisaitl's shoes

You're forgetting the part where Seguin has won a cup. I'd rather have the cup than a guy that scores 3ppg in the playoffs

Also, you're judging Drai on WAY too small of a sample size. Tarasenko had 10 goals in his first 13 playoff games when he started out. It wasn't sustainable. Just like Drai's 27.3% shooting percentage isn't.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think Drai-Barkov would be a good swap. FLA adds more offense, EDM more defense.

I would be weary of MacKinnon, but that swap isn't a terrible deal, Drai was able to work with McDavid because of his very high hockey IQ, Mackinnon's biggest weakness is his IQ, I don't think he would mesh with McDavid all that well.

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
Well Scheif is signed at just over 6m for like 7 more years, doubt Drai will sign for anything close to that low value is in the contract

That was the thinking, Scheifele might have the best long term contract in the league and there are still question marks about Draisaitl being able to consistently drive a line that doesn't have McD on it.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
You're forgetting the part where Seguin has won a cup. I'd rather have the cup than a guy that scores 3ppg in the playoffs

Also, you're judging Drai on WAY too small of a sample size. Tarasenko had 10 goals in his first 13 playoff games when he started out. It wasn't sustainable. Just like Drai's 27.3% shooting percentage isn't.

It's not like seguin is why Boston won that cup other than an insane game or two

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad