Proposal: Draisaitl for a cheaper 1 C with a + maybe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Wrong. You think Draisaitl's scoring rate is going to stay the same playing for Florida? You put Barkov on Edmonton his scoring rate probably increases.
Then Barkov is already signed long term, which Draisaitl isn't. So we would give up a franchise center for a center that may or may not produce more offense, and that's it, that's why we're making the trade? Yeah, no.

Barkovs scoring would go up as a second line center?

Is barkov insane on his backhand cuz drai works on the Rw because of that

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Jason Gregor - local sports radio host in Edmonton - threw out this stat the other day:

Of Draisaitl's 77 points, only 25 had direct involvement (G or A) from McDavid. So 52 points with no McDavid influence whatsoever.

I'm sure this is wrong.
What Gregor means is no assist on McDavid goal and no goal on McDavid assist. Taht doesn't mean McD wasn't on the ice. Honestly, when McDavid is playing it's like the ice surface is tilted to the opponents end of the rink

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

Yes I think his production would go up getting different matchups playing second line center behind McDavid. And yes, Barkov has is good on his backhand. And he's good on his forehand. He has great hands, period.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

There are some examples of this in NHL history. Bernie Nichols comes to mind. The guy would put up scoring leader numbers as a #2 but was a a very below average #1.

That said Barkov is probably better than Dra so it's a silly notion.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Definitely not what you proposed. I don't think we should even bother trading for a player like Draisaitl because his stats are skewed (he played for McDavid and Hall).

It's funny how at the start of last season people were saying that Galchenyuk and Draisaitl were pretty much equal. Some said "one is better than the other". It's not like Galchenyuk's game fell off the face of the earth and Draisaitl's exploded (considering McJesus was his center), but yeah let's trade Galchenyuk who will likely be McJesus' winger (a top-class sniper for McJesus), and then add Pacioretty (a consistent 30+ goal sniper who's excellent defensively), and with that we'll crash and burn next season but wait! That first that might be super useful to us (lottery pick) is gonna also go to Edmonton. And Gallagher, meh: he sucks. He does nothing to MTL. Send him over to Edmonton and make all the other teams' lives miserable. Pathetic.

still waiting for your list with name of players to be traded that DOES make sense unlike mine

anytime now

you're the one typing all that extra stuff not me about those players not me

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
still waiting for your list with name of players to be traded that DOES make sense unlike mine

anytime now

you're the one typing all that extra stuff not me about those players not me

Re-read my posts.

I said we should NOT trade for Draisaitl. Only way to acquire him is through an offer sheet.

Try harder.

But yeah, let's trade Pacioretty + Galchenyuk + Gallagher + 1st for Draisaitl. Great proposal, man! You should become GM.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm sure this is wrong.
What Gregor means is no assist on McDavid goal and no goal on McDavid assist. Taht doesn't mean McD wasn't on the ice. Honestly, when McDavid is playing it's like the ice surface is tilted to the opponents end of the rink

I dug into it and Gregor is indeed wrong - McDavid was 'in' on 49% of Draisaitl's points, or 38 of 77.

However, McDavid got the primary assist on only 8 of Draisaitl's goals.

Draisaitl got the primary assist on 7 of McDavid's.

Drai definitely benefitted from playing with McDavid, but it's not like he's some slug on his own.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Re-read my posts.

I said we should NOT trade for Draisaitl. Only way to acquire him is through an offer sheet.

Try harder.

But yeah, let's trade Pacioretty + Galchenyuk + Gallagher + 1st for Draisaitl. Great proposal, man! You should become GM.

ok so thats a blank you're drawing?

I don't think we should either, read my post history

again it's not a thread about me becoming GM I'm not sure what other than a crazy offer will get a young C like Draisaitl which is why you probably can't come up with a reasonable offer from Mtl?

whats even worse is the Edmonton people here seem to not even want my crazy offer lols

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
A lesser 1C? Calling Drats a 1C at this point in a bit premature, no? I would probably wait until he plays a full season as a Center.

If you're trading him, I think expectations should be a very high 2C/ bottom 1C, with some additions thrown in to make it worth it.

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Hmm, what would you think of something like this:

To Edm: Simmonds + Patrick
To Phi: LD + Pulj

Oilers get an ELC center with #1/2 potential and a stud power forward (damn they'd be tough to okay against) and Flyers get what SHOULD be (provided Patrick doesn't go ape **** on the league and turn out better than LD) and a young scoring winger.

Well, the more I think about it I don't think I'd do it from our end

Just want to say I really like the pieces themselves which is why I responded to your trade. If this was Simmonds 3 years ago with 5 years remaining on his contract at that cap hit... I would do this trade.

Patrick and Pulujarvi are still uncertain commodities... they will definitely both be NHL players but not sure what they will become. Patrick > Puljujarvi at this point but in my mind 8 years of Draisaitl >>> 2 years of Simmonds.

Probably saving 1-2 mil per year on Mack vs Draisaitl
Duchene is 2 less years than RNH for same price
Barrie is better than Nurse who is a 3rd pairing guy and due for a raise soon.

I just might pull the trigger on that it was the Oilers. A far fetched trade to be sure.

The Avs should do it to start a new core. Part of the bigger danger of the **** show in Colorado that should bother Avs fans is the potential losing culture wearing off on Mack, Rantanen, Zadorov, etc.

If he is a young 3rd pairing Dman with a 1.713 AAV (includes bonuses) still a RFA... how is he exactly due a big raise... unless you are saying "he is due a big raise" because he is actually more than a 3rd pairing D but you just don't want to say that because you want to hide your true feelings about his actual value.

Draisaitl is not going anywhere but...

Anyone saying Draisaitl is only riding on other coattails... stop watching highlights and reading boxscores... stay up past 9PM (in your local time zone) and watch some Oiler games before passing on your valuations of a player.

Oiler fans... other teams are not going to trade away their player of equal or very close to equal players when they have them locked into very good contract and LD is asking north of $8M AAV. Cross Barkov off the list.

Fans of other teams... the Oilers will not trade LD for one or a combination of expiring contracts, of players who will be UFAs. The main piece of this trade should be a low end 1C or high end 2C who has a long term contract (or will still be a RFA at the expiration of their current contract) with a reasonable cap hit. The secondary piece of this trade would be a higher end unproven blue chip prospect.

Truly, if the Oilers were to move LD, the only thing the Oilers should be targeting is a RHD with puck moving skills and long term contract as the main piece or potentially only piece.

Parayko
Vatanen+ ??? ... Rakell? (would obviously have to add a decent piece to LD... Bear/Jones? to balance the positioning)
Gostisbehere++ ???
Hamilton+ ... Flames fans, don't bother responding... we aren't trading LD to the Flames. ;)
Trouba+ ???... Laine? kidding... Connor? (would need to add to LD... Bear/Jones? to balance the positioning)
Barrie++ ???
Jones
McAvoy+ (might be a bit early for this one but I really like this player)
Dumba+

The trades above do not necessarily make sense for the other teams from a position or cap perspective but this is the type of value return that I personally feel the Oilers should be looking for, if they were trading away LD. I obviously rate LD quite highly which is why I would pay LD $64M/8 years. I watched him play every game in his NHL career, not just watched highlights and boxscores. I do watch a lot of NHL hockey, but admittedly, I have not watched the other players listed above as I have of LD. :)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
A lesser 1C? Calling Drats a 1C at this point in a bit premature, no? I would probably wait until he plays a full season as a Center.

If you're trading him, I think expectations should be a very high 2C/ bottom 1C, with some additions thrown in to make it worth it.

Young 1C or legitimate right shot top pairing defenceman of similar age. That's about the only things that would make it worth it for Edmonton - and that's if we can't sign him. If we can, he's not available at all.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Young 1C or legitimate right shot top pairing defenceman of similar age. That's about the only things that would make it worth it for Edmonton - and that's if we can't sign him. If we can, he's not available at all.

But who is trading a young, legitimate 1C? Especially players who already proved to be a 1C in the NHL, something Draisaitl has not done. I understand Oilers have no reason to trade him if they can sign him, but no team is doing that with a 1C.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Might be sacrilege to say it, and only based on a couple of playoff series....but is Draisaitl potentially as valuable to the Oilers as McDavid?

Best comparison is Crosby and Malkin in Pittsburgh....they don't win their Stanley Cups without both of them.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Might be sacrilege to say it, and only based on a couple of playoff series....but is Draisaitl potentially as valuable to the Oilers as McDavid?

Best comparison is Crosby and Malkin in Pittsburgh....they don't win their Stanley Cups without both of them.

He potentially is. Which is the problem with guessing his worth after one good year

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
The premise of this thread doesn't make sense. Edm wants equal value for less cost?

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
He potentially is. Which is the problem with guessing his worth after one good year

It would be a mistake to do anything, but pay him.

The Oilers aren't going to get equal talent back in a deal like this, just ask the Bruins with Hamiliton.

If the difference is 7.5 mil per vs 8.5 per you meet in the middle at 8 per and get it done. If they can't agree on that then bridge him for 5 years.

Last edited:

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
I'd offersheet him for 10M$ per for 7 years.
Then I'd buy out Plekanec.

Problems solved.

Nah man, according to SubbanMemento we're only drawing blanks to think that an offer sheet is the only way to get someone like Draisaitl.

We should instead trade Pacioretty+Galchenyuk+Gallagher+1st for him.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If Draisaitl wants more then 8 million . Would there be a team willing to make a trade for him . The ask would be a lessor 1 C coming back plus .

Example

MacKinnon
Seguin . Probably a big fat no from Dallas and I only used him as an example
Duchene ++ base on contract and his down year it would need to be nice pieces added

Montreal . Don't have the pieces so don't offer Plekanic +++ . We are not taking a cap dump .

Looking for long term solutions

Let me add I doubt he gets moved . Just bore and it is a long time until the season gets going

concur, doubt he gets moved, he WILL command 8m + and you or somebody WILL pay it.

However, easy enough to dump RNH and others to make that happen
Only so many really big contracts that a team can take on, but at this pt, Oil should be able to handle Drai + MacDavid

that said.....

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
But who is trading a young, legitimate 1C? Especially players who already proved to be a 1C in the NHL, something Draisaitl has not done. I understand Oilers have no reason to trade him if they can sign him, but no team is doing that with a 1C.

There's no reason whatsoever to trade Draisaitl for 2 C's, wingers, or 2nd pairing defencemen +++. None. I honestly think edmonton would trade RNH for next to nothing than sell low on Drai.

If no one is dealing, that's fine. Most likely Edmonton isn't either.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
... that said,

Rangers are not desperate for another C, but the right one would be a great fit

We do not have surplus RD
we do have on the left
Skjei
Smith
Graves
if we traded McDonagh

McD is on a sweetheart deal, 4.7m per, 2 mo yrs
If I remember he will be about 29 when this deal is done
At that point he deserves upwards of 8m per, which somebody will pay
NY does not mind the $, but term into mid 30s is instant gratification but possible prob end of such a deal

Drai is young enough he can get 8ish now for max.

so, we just drafted 7OA a F who can handle all 3 positions, Andersson, who is a kid playing with men in the Swedish league.
GMJG shrewdly went with guy who has min risk and high chance of success.
Think of Stepan, but MUCH, MUCH, MUCH MORE physically talented, which projects to higher upside, perhaps a top 10 ish C upside
Can slow brew for a cup of coffee later this yr, but he could possibly be THE guy to promote out of/soon after camp
max ELC =terrif for cap mgmt

McD + Andersson
for
Draisatil, pref via immediate sign and trade

something like that as core of a larger package or that as a simple deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad