Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That is one hell of an offer. I am a huge fan of Laine but don't really know much about most of the rest of the draft class. If any of the top D were RHD I'd pull the trigger, since they are not it'd be a tougher pill to swallow. In summary I'd need to know a lot more about the top 60 prospects in this draft to say yea or nay.

Sergachev plays both sides...

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge

The overwhelming majority of the Oilers team is left handed (especially if Eberle is traded) most of our D is capable of playing the right side but only Fayne has a right hand shot and he has almost no offensive production. Having 5 D and the entire top 6 being left handed is not a recipe for success.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah, I don't think it would be stupid of Toronto to offer that, and if the Oilers really like Laine or Puljujarvi, I can't see how those picks would be attractive enough to pass that up.

I would have to think hard about moving Laine for that package but I would definitely move Puljujarvi for that package. Outside of Matthews and Laine I'd sooner take a D anyway so we could either do that or take Tkachuk/Dubois + draft some D with the other 3 picks. Not to mention we'd have 2-1sts, 3-2nds and 3-3rds IIRC to really restock the cupboards either by keeping the picks or by trading up to grab specific prospects.

True but he is not a righty. IMO there is no better fit for our team in this draft than Laine.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
If the Oilers won 2nd overall and Toronto ends up with 4th overall, would you guys entertain moving down to 4th? I realize Laine won't come cheap, but would something like this be worthwhile for you? You could come out of the 1st round with Chychrun and Fabbro, who are looking great together imho, and your D would likely be set for the long haul. You might have to move up from the Pens 1st to get Fabbro, but you'd have plenty of chips to work with.

4th overall + Pens 1st + Leafs 2nd + Caps 2nd

for

2nd overall

On value it's good.

The reason I wouldn't do it if I was the gm.

Is that I have absolutely no faith in my scouting and development department to work with those picks.

They'll probably have their pick of the 3 dmen at 4 and will identify the wrong guy.
late first and second rounders with this team have zero value with our scouting and development systems. They return little to nothing.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
On value it's good.

The reason I wouldn't do it if I was the gm.

Is that I have absolutely no faith in my scouting and development department to work with those picks.

They'll probably have their pick of the 3 dmen at 4 and will identify the wrong guy.
late first and second rounders with this team have zero value with our scouting and development systems. They return little to nothing.

We have a completely different scouting staff and GM that had an excellent first draft last season (as of right now). Every draft pick from last season has exceeded expectations (even Mcdavid for some people) other than maybe Svoboda. If we were offered that trade we would take it and run very fast.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
We have a completely different scouting staff and GM that had an excellent first draft last season (as of right now). Every draft pick from last season has exceeded expectations (even Mcdavid for some people) other than maybe Svoboda. If we were offered that trade we would take it and run very fast.

^i think this point is lost on some when they are trying to prove their point. we had what appears to have been a damn good 1st draft at least so far under Chia, and in no way should this group be clumped into the same staff as Stu and his staff were!! :shakehead

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
If the Oilers won 2nd overall and Toronto ends up with 4th overall, would you guys entertain moving down to 4th? I realize Laine won't come cheap, but would something like this be worthwhile for you? You could come out of the 1st round with Chychrun and Fabbro, who are looking great together imho, and your D would likely be set for the long haul. You might have to move up from the Pens 1st to get Fabbro, but you'd have plenty of chips to work with.

4th overall + Pens 1st + Leafs 2nd + Caps 2nd

for

2nd overall

Done because i think it is a big overpay. We can then use some of the additional picks to help us land the D we need. Laine is a great prospect but that is all he is, a prospect.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
^i think this point is lost on some when they are trying to prove their point. we had what appears to have been a damn good 1st draft at least so far under Chia, and in no way should this group be clumped into the same staff as Stu and his staff were!! :shakehead

Exactly. But In a fantasy world in which a team gives up 2 firsts and 2 2nds to move up 2 ****ing spots, you don't even consider saying no unless the player is Mcdavid or some equivalent.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If we land #1 or #2. We're taking ****ing Laine. Only way that pick moves is if Pietro, OEL, or Subban is coming back.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I hope Chia uses some of the mid round picks to draft some tough western Canadian boys from the Dub.

Attitude adjustment from our team underway. Let these kids go to Cali. Live it up, grow up, and become men. Come back to Northern Alberta from Bakersfield as guys ready to go ****ing war for your team.

I have zero doubt about everyone in the Oilers organization from ownership, management, coaches, players, fans, and media following 97 and be willing to run through a wall for him. Rogers Place opening up, time to build an Edmonton style team.

Draft players who you want coming to battle at Rogers Place night in and night out.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton

They fired the whole scouting staff?

I thought it was only Stu and a few others.

This is the staff that looks to have been taken to the cleaners on Griffin Reinhart.
Sorry he was quite frankly a complete disappointment this year.

As for the draft last year. I'll call a player a success when he does something at the NHL. I've seen it so many times.. especially with defencemen we draft. He's doing so great! gets to the NHL and craps the bed.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
If we land #1 or #2. We're taking ****ing Laine. Only way that pick moves is if Pietro, OEL, or Subban is coming back.

If we were offered that package we would take it without hesitation but it would never be offered because it's stupid for the Leafs. The trade could potentially be:

Laine for Dubois, Fabbro, Benson and Hart

You don't turn that down.

I hope Chia uses some of the mid round picks to draft some tough western Canadian boys from the Dub.

Attitude adjustment from our team underway. Let these kids go to Cali. Live it up, grow up, and become men. Come back to Northern Alberta from Bakersfield as guys ready to go ****ing war for your team.

I have zero doubt about everyone in the Oilers organization from ownership, management, coaches, players, fans, and media following 97 and be willing to run through a wall for him. Rogers Place opening up, time to build an Edmonton style team.

Draft players who you want coming to battle at Rogers Place night in and night out.

That is probably the worst thing we can do. Have you not learned from the last 20 years that wasting your picks on

That is probably the worst thing we could do. Have you not learned from the last 20 years that drafting tough kids is the stupidest thing you can do? In the mid-late rounds you pick pure skill and high upside players. The chances of mid-late rounders making the NHL are very slim so pick the most talented ones you can.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
They fired the whole scouting staff?

I thought it was only Stu and a few others.

This is the staff that looks to have been taken to the cleaners on Griffin Reinhart.
Sorry he was quite frankly a complete disappointment this year.

As for the draft last year. I'll call a player a success when he does something at the NHL. I've seen it so many times.. especially with defencemen we draft. He's doing so great! gets to the NHL and craps the bed.

Chiarelli was told to make that trade by MacTavish and that other Oiler staff member that I can never remember the name of. I saw it with binoculars at the draft before and after it happened but regardless it was a dumb trade at the time and a dumb trade now. Either way that has absolutely nothing to do with drafting.

As of right now our picks are a success, the only off the board pick was Paigin at the end which so far has been great. We made smart picks with players that were projected to go sooner than we drafted them and we didn't make stupid selections. Every draft for every team is a crap shoot but so far we have made smart selections.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

This is what weve tried to do for 7 years and its ended up horrible every time. No more Morozs. Draft skill, skill and more skill. Pick up depth grinders on waivers

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
How is Laine's 2-way game? I remember a lot of Oiler fans drooling over Yakupov's shot when he was in junior but if you can't play a a 2-way game and don't have the proper hockey IQ then it's going to be an uphill battle

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Chiarelli was told to make that trade by MacTavish and that other Oiler staff member that I can never remember the name of. I saw it with binoculars at the draft before and after it happened but regardless it was a dumb trade at the time and a dumb trade now. Either way that has absolutely nothing to do with drafting.

As of right now our picks are a success, the only off the board pick was Paigin at the end which so far has been great. We made smart picks with players that were projected to go sooner than we drafted them and we didn't make stupid selections. Every draft for every team is a crap shoot but so far we have made smart selections.

Our picks are not success from last year. They're trending.. trending is good for all of nothing.

When they play in the NHL.. and Contribute. That's success.

This gets said every year.. our picks are doing great. Then they hit the NHL and fold like a cheap tent. Especially I might add our defence picks. We haven't hit anything special on that end in over 25 years.

And last I checked Mac T and Howson still work for this team.. in the scouting department.

I understand the draft is a crapshoot. But we lose that crapshoot more than any other team unless we're dealt a wining hand. And the effective is now magnified with how important the defensive position has become in todays game. Miss after miss after miss after miss in the drafting and development department for defencemen.

The best they have to show for it is Jeff Petry and Tom Poti. Those are the two best defencemen this team has **** out of its system in 20 plus years.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Our picks are not success from last year. They're trending.. trending is good for all of nothing.

When they play in the NHL.. and Contribute. That's success.

This gets said every year.. our picks are doing great. Then they hit the NHL and fold like a cheap tent. Especially I might add our defence picks. We haven't hit anything special on that end in over 25 years.

And last I checked Mac T and Howson still work for this team.. in the scouting department.

I understand the draft is a crapshoot. But we lose that crapshoot more than any other team unless we're dealt a wining hand. And the effective is now magnified with how important the defensive position has become in todays game. Miss after miss after miss after miss in the drafting and development department for defencemen.

The best they have to show for it is Jeff Petry and Tom Poti. Those are the two best defencemen this team has **** out of its system in 20 plus years.

Oscar Klefbom... Brandon Davidson

Problem with our D drafting is we picked Plante, Musil, Hesketh, Bigos, Blain, Motin. Low scoring pluggers. We picked skill in Marincin, Gernat and 1 of those 2 is in NHL with #4 upside

Bears/Jones/Paigin look like your Petry/Davidson/Marincin type skilled D and their seasons show it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad