Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
False. We owed them a 2nd, our choice between 2015, 2016, or 2017. We'll obviously be keeping a 32nd overall pick.. Wouldn't at all surprise me if we moved into the late 2nd with our 3rd and something else then gave Boston that pick.

According to general fanager, Boston would have to agree to the later 2nd. If not they could hold out for the Oilers 2017 2nd

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
According to general fanager, Boston would have to agree to the later 2nd. If not they could hold out for the Oilers 2017 2nd

Would you be able to acquire a late round 2nd next year and then trade the Oilers 2nd.

Ie hamstring them into taking a late 2017 2nd if they choose to wait.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Having to give up a 2nd round draft pick for a GM has got to be one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. :shakehead

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I have no problem making a team pay a 2nd if you poach a GM that's under contract and other team allows it.

But there shouldn't be anything for a coach, GM, etc, regardless of whether they are being promoted or demoted, if the team has fired them.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I have no problem making a team pay a 2nd if you poach a GM that's under contract and other team allows it.

But there shouldn't be anything for a coach, GM, etc, regardless of whether they are being promoted or demoted, if the team has fired them.

Its BS and if there was a coaching/GM union it would warrant a lawsuit. You are basically taking away someone's livelihood in the event that 2 candidates are close. Hmm, do we take GM/Coach A and give up a 2nd or Coach/GM B who doesn't?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Would you be able to acquire a late round 2nd next year and then trade the Oilers 2nd.

Ie hamstring them into taking a late 2017 2nd if they choose to wait.

I doubt the NHL would allow the Oilers to trade their 2017 2nd in that situation.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I doubt the NHL would allow the Oilers to trade their 2017 2nd in that situation.

i dunno, the whole "compensation thing" seemed like an idea written down on the back of a napkin to begin with, and 100% was totally well thought out.... it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that there weren't a lot of written down rules surrounding it

lets say we finish 20th next year (lofty expectations i know, but a guy can dream), and therefore have the 40th overall pick.... you gotta figure one of the teams who finished high in the standings (say 1st-10th overall) would be willing to give up a 4th or 5th rounder to move up 10-20 spots in the draft... the oilers would be losing the pick anyhow, so it would be like getting a 4th or 5th round pick for free

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

Dunno, depends on what the rule(?) says. If it says the Oilers must provide a second-round draft choice, then that should be fine. If it says we must provide our second-rounder then that's what it must be.

It does seem stupid that we have to give up a draft choice for a fired GM. We did them a favour. They should owe us something. Sort of like marrying someone else's throw-away wife and getting the guy off the hook for alimony.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Dunno, depends on what the rule(?) says. If it says the Oilers must provide a second-round draft choice, then that should be fine. If it says we must provide our second-rounder then that's what it must be.

It does seem stupid that we have to give up a draft choice for a fired GM. We did them a favour. They should owe us something. Sort of like marrying someone else's throw-away wife and getting the guy off the hook for alimony.

Yeah it doesn't make any sense that the compensation would really be specific.

"Some sort of compensation" is basically the gist of it as I can tell--leading to "a second round pick" in the rulebook.

If the NHL makes a stink about how we need to specifically give them pick x or y then it would probably be more cronyism, IMO. You can bet that there are a handful of teams where the rule would apply differently.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Is there anyway Fabbro would drop to 32? RD and sounds really intriguing

Weirder things have happened, could see it.

On a side note, whenever I hear Fabbro I think of a knock-off version of Fabbri
Like "Abibas" or "Puna".
Dont ask my why, I just do :laugh:

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Is there anyway Fabbro would drop to 32? RD and sounds really intriguing

His ranking has dropped from many people due to his less than stellar performances in CJHL events but if he he continues his great play at the U18s then there is no chance he is available in the 2nd round.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
If the Oilers won 2nd overall and Toronto ends up with 4th overall, would you guys entertain moving down to 4th? I realize Laine won't come cheap, but would something like this be worthwhile for you? You could come out of the 1st round with Chychrun and Fabbro, who are looking great together imho, and your D would likely be set for the long haul. You might have to move up from the Pens 1st to get Fabbro, but you'd have plenty of chips to work with.

4th overall + Pens 1st + Leafs 2nd + Caps 2nd

for

2nd overall

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
If the Oilers won 2nd overall and Toronto ends up with 4th overall, would you guys entertain moving down to 4th? I realize Laine won't come cheap, but would something like this be worthwhile for you? You could come out of the 1st round with Chychrun and Fabbro, who are looking great together imho, and your D would likely be set for the long haul. You might have to move up from the Pens 1st to get Fabbro, but you'd have plenty of chips to work with.

for

2nd overall

Heck, I'd sure do it. With a package like that, the Oilers dwindling prospect cupboard would get stocked in a hurry. Not sure many folks would agree, but, in a parallel universe, where you and I are in charge of the Leafs and Oilers respectively, you've got a deal, sir.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

for

2nd overall
Nope where taking Laine

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Heck, I'd sure do it. With a package like that, the Oilers dwindling prospect cupboard would get stocked in a hurry. Not sure many folks would agree, but, in a parallel universe, where you and I are in charge of the Leafs and Oilers respectively, you've got a deal, sir.

Nope where taking Laine

If Toronto was stupid enough to offer that then we would easily accept.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

for

2nd overall

I'd take out the 4th and ask for Reilly instead. You guys get two top 5 picks to start your rebuild, we get a dman who can help us right away. Depending where the Penguins pick ends up you could probably get rid of one or both of the seconds.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I wouldn't mind taking a crack at Dillon Dube from Kelowna if he's around. Pretty skilled C that can hold his own physically.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I don't think so, the thought of having McDavid and Laine together is to much to pass up. Especially for picks.

Agreed. You go on the prospects board and read all the praise Finnish fans that get to watch him regularly heap on him, and you'd be crazy to pass up the chance to take a sniping power forward of that caliber. His game is suited perfectly to play with McDavid

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

for

2nd overall

That is one hell of an offer. I am a huge fan of Laine but don't really know much about most of the rest of the draft class. If any of the top D were RHD I'd pull the trigger, since they are not it'd be a tougher pill to swallow. In summary I'd need to know a lot more about the top 60 prospects in this draft to say yea or nay.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't think so, the thought of having McDavid and Laine together is to much to pass up. Especially for picks.

Yeah, I don't think it would be stupid of Toronto to offer that, and if the Oilers really like Laine or Puljujarvi, I can't see how those picks would be attractive enough to pass that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad