Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Like I've told everyone, Quenneville can deliver huge checks despite his size and is an offensive dynamo. Sounds like Button loves him too. Such a high compete level.

That was a painful game to watch.

Awesome game for Quenneville. If he was 3-4 inches taller he'd be a first round pick for sure. I hope Chia takes a gamble on him.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Awesome game for Quenneville. If he was 3-4 inches taller he'd be a first round pick for sure. I hope Chia takes a gamble on him.

He's one of my favourites and he is from Edmonton so I agree Quenneville would be an excellent choice with one of our 3rd rounders.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Sergachev to me honestly reminds me a lot of OEL, good skating, good passing, good IQ, great shot and offensive. Most offensive dman in the draft IMO.

I really like Sergachev but is anyone else worried about where he's from? Given that he's from the same city and Yakupov, you have to think Nail might be scaring him away. I mean, he requested a trade and can't help the situation. Anyone know who represents Sergachev? Am I the only one that worries about this kind of thing?

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I really like Sergachev but is anyone else worried about where he's from? Given that he's from the same city and Yakupov, you have to think Nail might be scaring him away. I mean, he requested a trade and can't help the situation. Anyone know who represents Sergachev? Am I the only one that worries about this kind of thing?

Yakupov seems to live Edmonton and the hockey atmosphere. And I think he's quite popular with his teammates, despite what some would lead you to believe.

Yak's issue comes down to him believing he deserves a better chance with skilled players than what the coaches he's had have given him.

I don't think he would ever day anything bad to other players.

And if you think Sergachev is BPA when we pick, you take him and be very happy.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Does anyone know if we are keeping our 2nd round pick this year? We can give it to the Bruins for Chia either this year or next, correct?

At #2, makes sense to give the Bruins our 2017 2nd.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Does anyone know if we are keeping our 2nd round pick this year? We can give it to the Bruins for Chia either this year or next, correct?

At #2, makes sense to give the Bruins our 2017 2nd.

No one knows but it makes total sense to give up the '17 second.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Ethan Bear and the Seattle Thunderbirds are off to the Western Conference Championship! Bear with 9 points in 9 playoff games, and is a +10. Tied for 1st in WHL playoff scoring for d men with Clague(Clague has played 2 more games)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

For sure. Someone good always falls out the first that can be picked up early in the 2nd.

Maybe a guy like Benson or Hart could be there. Either way, makes more sense to give Boston the 2017 2nd, I haven't seen any confirmation either way if we're giving them this years 2nd or next years.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Ethan Bear and the Seattle Thunderbirds are off to the Western Conference Championship! Bear with 9 points in 9 playoff games, and is a +10. Tied for 1st in WHL playoff scoring for d men with Clague(Clague has played 2 more games)

He's been great. I've watched a few Thunderbirds games and he really stood out.

MPStoEberletoHall*

He's been great. I've watched a few Thunderbirds games and he really stood out.

Yes he has been. I didn't watch a lot of him during the regular season. Ive watched 5 Seattle playoff games this year, and he looks very promising.

I wish he was in Brandon more often, as I usually go to every Wheat King game when an Oiler prospect is in the province. I'm really hoping for a Thunderbirds vs Wheat Kings final.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yes he has been. I didn't watch a lot of him during the regular season. Ive watched 5 Seattle playoff games this year, and he looks very promising.

I wish he was in Brandon more often, as I usually go to every Wheat King game when an Oiler prospect is in the province. I'm really hoping for a Thunderbirds vs Wheat Kings final.

Yeah I've only seen a few games as well and two playoff games, obviously eyes glued to him every shift and he was awesome. Slightly undersized, but seems like he's built solidly. He's a guy we'll have to just take slow and let him season in the AHL, but could end up a big part of our D in 4-5 years.

That would be a great final, I would be following that one very closely. Provorov has been a beast again for the Wheaties, he finished with over a PPG and +64 :amazed:

MPStoEberletoHall*

Yeah I've only seen a few games as well and two playoff games, obviously eyes glued to him every shift and he was awesome. Slightly undersized, but seems like he's built solidly. He's a guy we'll have to just take slow and let him season in the AHL, but could end up a big part of our D in 4-5 years.

That would be a great final, I would be following that one very closely. Provorov has been a beast again for the Wheaties, he finished with over a PPG and +64 :amazed:

Imo Bear will be a a very good bottom pairing offensive d man, which I would consider great for us. He was a late pick, who people didn't think would amount to much.

As for Provorov, it's not even fair how good this kid is playing in the WHL this season. The Flyers should feel very fortunate. If I could pick any prospect in the NHL that the Oiler could trade for, it would be Provorov.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Imo Bear will be a a very good bottom pairing offensive d man, which I would consider great for us. He was a late pick, who people didn't think would amount to much.

As for Provorov, it's not even fair how good this kid is playing in the WHL this season. The Flyers should feel very fortunate. If I could pick any prospect in the NHL that the Oiler could trade for, it would be Provorov.

And Bear is a right shot as well :).

Could be a great late pick, keep expectations low and let him develop properly. Few years in Bako could be perfect to bring him along slowly. Hitting a couple of these mid to late round picks are what we've missed this past decade.

Provorov is an absolute stud, damn. Pretty scary for WHL teams that he could be back for another year if he doesn't make the Flyers roster.

WoolyWhatsIt

Jul 28, 2009

Pick doesn't have to be oilers originally. We could trade for pick 60 and that's at the end of the 2nd round and our duty of care is complete. Look for chiarelli to move a 3rd and a late pick or a player and a later pick to acquire a late second.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Assuming we keep our 2016 2nd for hiring Chia.

We have a second and 3 thirds to work with. I don't know a lot about the OHL and Q besides limited viewing, but there's a decent amount of good talent in the WHL in that 2-3rd range. I'm sure our number of picks will change come draft day.

Not based on needs, just players I've seen in the Dub that stand out to me as potential steals:

Tyler Benson (if he falls to 32 easy pick -- unless Fabbro shockingly falls to 32).
Brett Howden
Kale Clague (limited viewing)
Simon Stransky

Goalies: Hart, Sawchenko (both in the 6'1 range)

Other leagues?

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I wouldn't draft a defenseman in first round unless they are Ekblad's calibre. Oilers should draft RD in second, third and fourth rounds, and steal a gem.

This would require the Oilers replacing nearly their entire scouting staff. They have the worst draft record in the league over the past 30 years. Unless they pick in the top 3, they seem completely inept. Even then, they have made errors (RNH instead of Landeskog).

I agree about defense as a general rule. Only an Ekblad level prospect is worth spending a high pick on.

If the Oilers are drafting 1-2-3, I'd lean towards keeping the pick. If 4-5, I'd be aggressively looking to deal it for some immediate help. That pick for Hamonic would be acceptable (although I'd much rather deal Eberle instead).

If the Oilers are at no.1, I'd be very happy to see a trade with the team at no.2 and pick up an asset while still getting Laine, who is a better fit for the Oilers right now. Laine and McDavid would be lethal. Let's say it shakes down as Oilers no.1, Leafs no.2. I'd propose a swap with the Leafs taking back Fayne (contract dump) and the Oilers obtaining the Leaf's 2nd rounder this year and a 4th next year (or something along those lines). I'm sure the Leafs would make that deal to get a franchise C in Matthews. The Oilers might even be able to get more out of them.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Different places are saying different things

but I believe we have given the bruins this years 2nd--one site said that the oilers owed either the 2nd last year or this year and we kpet last year so we owe them this years

MPStoEberletoHall*

but I believe we have given the bruins this years 2nd--one site said that the oilers owed either the 2nd last year or this year and we kpet last year so we owe them this years

Nope. The Oilers will be giving the Bruins their 2nd for next year. Chia has already stated this.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I wonder where in the first one could move up to by packaging the two thirds and the early second? One should look at the draft as quality over quantity. Is that enough to move up to 13-16 if Sergachev falls out of the top 10? If every year a team got a top NCAA free agent prospect, they could mitigate the loss of these kinds of picks... Need to grab some talent if it is there, and I could see Sergachev dropping past 10.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I wonder where in the first one could move up to by packaging the two thirds and the early second? One should look at the draft as quality over quantity. Is that enough to move up to 13-16 if Sergachev falls out of the top 10? If every year a team got a top NCAA free agent prospect, they could mitigate the loss of these kinds of picks... Need to grab some talent if it is there, and I could see Sergachev dropping past 10.

Not even close to getting to the top15 with just our 2nd and 2 3rds. Maybe you'd be able to move to #25 or something at best and that's just not worth it. The player available at #25 isn't likely going to be much better than whoever is available with #32 or whatever our 2nd round pick will be.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I really like Mcavoy but don't think he will be around in the 2nd round. Clague would probably be my pick in the 2nd

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

False. We owed them a 2nd, our choice between 2015, 2016, or 2017. We'll obviously be keeping a 32nd overall pick.. Wouldn't at all surprise me if we moved into the late 2nd with our 3rd and something else then gave Boston that pick.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I actually like Puljujarvi better than Laine.. Just my personal opinion.

People think Laine is just going to come here and score 30 goals. Its not true at all. Barkov was a better goal scorer in the finish league at 17 years old. He just about scored 30 this year finally.

I think we have to pump the brakes just al ittle bit on Laine.

Then move the hell over and quit blocking traffic. Let us enjoy life in the fast Laine. :) I would bet he scores 30 as a rookie if he is on the #1 PP unit being fed cross-seam from McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad