Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
If Austin Matthews, Patrik Laine and Jesse Puljujarvi are gone, and they probably will be, I hope the Oilers choose defensemen Jacob Chychrun. From what I have seen online he looks to be the best d man in the draft this year imo.
OtT8FxP.jpg

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Dubois or Chychrun. I think the most realistic chance of us getting a #1D is Chychrun.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Dubois or Chychrun. I think the most realistic chance of us getting a #1D is Chychrun.

I remember from about January-June of 2014, so many people were saying how Ekblad wasn't that good and that he's overrated etc etc look how that turned out. I think Chychrun could use another season in the OHL but I feel he will be a very good player in the NHL.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I don't envy the decision Peter has to make with this pick. I've been racking my brain since the we found out our fate. Such a tough decision.

I lean towards Tkachuk, but then I think Dubois has the higher ceiling, I also really like Chychrun...

Then I think of the possibility of a trade and I start to cry.

So many options. This offseason will be a wild one.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If Austin Matthews, Patrik Laine and Jesse Puljujarvi are gone, and they probably will be, I hope the Oilers choose defensemen Jacob Chychrun. From what I have seen online he looks to be the best d man in the draft this year imo.
FBkycl3.jpg

The best defenceman in the OHL was Sergachev voted on by the OHL GM's. He's the youngest dman to ever win the Max Kaminsky trophy, and 2nd rookie to do it. The last rookie to do it was Bryan Berard who went first overall. On top of that look at the prospects Windsor produces vs the prospects Sarnia produces. After taking Yakupov who played in Sarnia Im leary of any player coming out of that system.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I remember from about January-June of 2014, so many people were saying how Ekblad wasn't that good and that he's overrated etc etc look how that turned out. I think Chychrun could use another season in the OHL but I feel he will be a very good player in the NHL.

I remembered that as well. Ekblad was a victim of being heavily scouted and faced early criticisms. At one point the draft had the big 4 in 2014. Bennett, Drai, Reinhart and Ekblad. I wouldn't be surprised if Chychrun is in the same situation and could very well jump into the NHL and a good rookie year.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You're probably right, Provorov seems like a more legit comparison, but in all fairness I only seen Sergachev go end to end once on junior and to be fair it probably doesn't matter if he goes end to end but moreless is able to rush the puck out of the defensive zone. Zadorov did that with Buffalo, I don't know how he's doing in Colorado though....

Its also worth noting that Zadorov had attitude problems which is the reason why he was moved. We can dissect these prospects games all we want, but if a prospect doesn't have the drive to succeed it won't matter how much talent they have. Sergachev's draft season is also more comparable to the Zadorovs post draft season. We also have to look at the teams they play for. How many points do you think Sergachev puts up in London playing with Marner and Dvorak? Have to think he'd have put up 70+ as a dman if he was in London the whole year.

DustinPenner

Mar 22, 2016
All i can say is ... pls dont trade the pick. For the guys willing to trade for 2 defenders: what should we do next year? give one of them to vegas for free? imo just pick a defenseman(eventually trade down for that- mcavoy seems like the best fit for our needs) its our best chance to get an elite def, we can trade also for one with ebs/nuge

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
I'd trade 4th overall to 9-11 and get an additional asset. Then draft the best available defenceman (Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev, Fabbro)

4th OV to MTL for 9th + ???
4th OV to COL for 10th + ???
4th OV to NJ for 11th + ???

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I'd trade 4th overall to 9-11 and get an additional asset. Then draft the best available defenceman (Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev, Fabbro)

4th OV to MTL for 9th + ???
4th OV to COL for 10th + ???
4th OV to NJ for 11th + ???

Apparently the Avs will want a Duchene replacement for after they trade him so how about something based around:

4th + Nuge for 11th + Barrie + something small

oilz89*

I don't envy the decision Peter has to make with this pick. I've been racking my brain since the we found out our fate. Such a tough decision.

I lean towards Tkachuk, but then I think Dubois has the higher ceiling, I also really like Chychrun...

Then I think of the possibility of a trade and I start to cry.

So many options. This offseason will be a wild one.
SUBBAN homie!!! trade it for Subban so they can get Dubois. We don't need him!!! #1 centre in Mcdaddy and #1 dman in Subban and Hamonic as #2 hopefully willl make us competitive!!!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I say try to trade the pick to Winnipeg for Trouba, try to get Vatanen or Lindholm using tradable assets and picks. We would come out of the draft with 2 defensemen that can play now. Drafting a D today we wont see him play for at least 2-3 years here, we dont have that luxury of time.

We would start the year with a much improved D that can get the puck up ice to 97/4/29 et al.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I'm not sure a scenario is going to exist that would put us in a comfortable position to trade down and have our pick of defenseman.

4. EDM
5. VAN
6. CGY
7. ARI
8. BUF
9. MTL

I figure Arizona and Buffalo are looking at defensemen instead of forwards. Montreal would make some sense, as they'd move up to take PLD, but at 9th, we're at the mercy of everyone else taking defenseman.

I could see a situation where Calgary would want to leapfrog Vancouver to have their pick of forwards, but I don't like PLD or Tkachuk going to Calgary. heh.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
My apologies in advance if I insult anyone, that is not my intent.

But the people who are hoping to draft a defenseman or trade down and draft a defenseman are missing the big picture. Missing it by a lot.

We have an incredibly strong group of left shooting defenseman in our system. A ridiculous glut of left defenders. From puck movers to stay at home and every combination there in.

The guys worth a first round pick are all left shooters. They are all guys that should make the nhl but none are 100% guaranteed to. Or if they do make it thier top end "could" be nothing more than a bottom pairing type.

For guys in this tier of talent it's unlikely they end up being top pairing types. Possible but unlikely.

On the flip side it's abundantly clear our massive hole is a right shooting top four defender. Ala Harmonic or better. A proven guy. Even a guy like Trouba could end up being a massive mistake.

Any defender we pick will be too far away to help in the next 5 years at best and will run into a log jam on the left side.

Our forward group of prospects are thin.

There are only two legit options. Trade our pick for a Harmonic or better or draft a forward.

This is clear as day to me and if Chiarelli does anything else without addressing our massive hole it will be a collosal failure.

Drafting a defender only this offseason would be the same as saying we want another top 5 pick next year.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I would love for Arizona to grab tkachuk . We need defensemen but we need them now. Would rather get defenseman through trade or ufa.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

But the people who are hoping to draft a defenseman or trade down and draft a defenseman are missing the big picture. Missing it by a lot.

We have an incredibly strong group of left shooting defenseman in our system. A ridiculous glut of left defenders. From puck movers to stay at home and every combination there in.

The guys worth a first round pick are all left shooters. They are all guys that should make the nhl but none are 100% guaranteed to. Or if they do make it thier top end "could" be nothing more than a bottom pairing type.

For guys in this tier of talent it's unlikely they end up being top pairing types. Possible but unlikely.

On the flip side it's abundantly clear our massive hole is a right shooting top four defender. Ala Harmonic or better. A proven guy. Even a guy like Trouba could end up being a massive mistake.

Any defender we pick will be too far away to help in the next 5 years at best and will run into a log jam on the left side.

There are only two legit options. Trade our pick for a Harmonic or better or draft a forward.

This is clear as day to me and if Chiarelli does anything else without addressing our massive hole it will be a collosal failure.

Drafting a defender only this offseason would be the same as saying we want another top 5 pick next year.

I get this point of view and I wouldn't be shocked if Chiarelli shared it.

Few points in rejoinder: (1) getting top d-men usually happens through teams drafting them and bringing them along slowly, if you have to trade for one it will cost dearly, and we'll see just how dearly in a couple of months;

(2) I know it's the Oilers, but we shouldn't be making a pick with immediate help in mind. The successful organizations are always drafting good players and keeping good players.

I guess (3) I don't think any of our current LHD prospects are going to be top d-men. I like Musil, but...

(4) remember the upcoming expansion draft. I would suspect we would lose Davidson, for example.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

I get this point of view and I wouldn't be shocked if Chiarelli shared it.

Few points in rejoinder: (1) getting top d-men usually happens through teams drafting them and bringing them along slowly, if you have to trade for one it will cost dearly, and we'll see just how dearly in a couple of months;

(2) I know it's the Oilers, but we shouldn't be making a pick with immediate help in mind. The successful organizations are always drafting good players and keeping good players.

I guess (3) I don't think any of our current LHD prospects are going to be top d-men. I like Musil, but...

(4) remember the upcoming expansion draft. I would suspect we would lose Davidson, for example.

The only ones that worry about R/L handiness in the NHL are HF fans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad