Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Take the best dman available. Perhaps the Finnish kid...

The way Chiarelli describes the prospects and Chia's prevailing theme of "big & strong", I'd cut Juolevi out of the discussion and focus on Chychrun vs. Sergachev when talking about defensemen the Oilers will pick.

He describes Chychrun as "big strong defenseman can skate and move the puck". Describes Sergachev with "seen quite a few times, offensive defenseman, very strong for 18, quick set of wrists, can really shoot it, can really change the angle of a shot" He describes Juolevi as "very smart, very smooth, needs to get stronger, very cerebral passing the puck very well".

I just don't see Juolevi as a Chiarelli pick.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Eh? He just finished 4th in scoring at the WJC-U18 (beating Nylander) and he had a huge run to end the season. His size is definitely what makes him so intriguing but there is no doubt he has a lot of skill and he has one of the best shots in the entire draft. I think he'd make a great long-term winger for McDavid with his shot/size combination.

I'd rather go PLD or Tkachuk instead of a much riskier pick in Brown. Its just unnecessary risk.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
This is probably just wishful thinking, but I wonder how much the Jackets might look at Dubois. I know it's easy to assume Jarmo wouldn't pass on the Finn, but they could really use a potential top center and Dubois sure would fit that bill....

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
This is probably just wishful thinking, but I wonder how much the Jackets might look at Dubois. I know it's easy to assume Jarmo wouldn't pass on the Finn, but they could really use a potential top center and Dubois sure would fit that bill....

I'd say there is no chance at all the BJs pass on one of the Finns

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think if Laine was a center he'd go 1st OA. I'll admit it does sting a little to lose the chance to draft him.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

During the pre-lottery interviews, Davidson was talking about the "2" top players in the draft. Would not surprise me if Dubois is ahead of the second rated Finnish winger on the Columbus draft board.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

The top 3 is night and day better then the rest of the draft class.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
It's a shame all three top d are left shot... Maybe we are best to trade down and take a righty.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Honestly I'm still on the trade the pick wagon, Sergachev or Chychrun won't be ready for at least a couple of years. We don't have that kind of time, we're currently dealing with this problem with Nurse. We need him to be ahead of his development curve. I'd be up to send the pick out for a solid #2 Dman as long as we acquire another top 4 guy we'll be looking good on the back end.

Klefbom - Hamonic
Sekera - Demers
Davidson - Nurse/Reinhart/Osterle/Fayne

Not a world beating group by any stretch but if we can then ship out Eberle for some more jam down the middle or on the wings.

Noah88

Apr 30, 2016
During the pre-lottery interviews, Davidson was talking about the "2" top players in the draft. Would not surprise me if Dubois is ahead of the second rated Finnish winger on the Columbus draft board.

No, the 2 Finns are at least 1 level ahead of Dubois/Tkachuk.
Puljujärvi is awesome and, if at all, not far behind Laine.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
The way Chiarelli describes the prospects and Chia's prevailing theme of "big & strong", I'd cut Juolevi out of the discussion and focus on Chychrun vs. Sergachev when talking about defensemen the Oilers will pick.

He describes Chychrun as "big strong defenseman can skate and move the puck". Describes Sergachev with "seen quite a few times, offensive defenseman, very strong for 18, quick set of wrists, can really shoot it, can really change the angle of a shot" He describes Juolevi as "very smart, very smooth, needs to get stronger, very cerebral passing the puck very well".

I just don't see Juolevi as a Chiarelli pick.

I feel like with Chiarelli he won't tip his hand too much but he makes it easy to read between the lines. I agree on Juolevi being the least glowing of the 3 D he reviewed, Sergachev seemed like the standout.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If it comes down to Chychrun or Nurse. I prefer to trade Nurse for immediate upgrade on D. Chychrun just seems like a much smarter defenseman and has all the tools to become a stud #1D

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Honestly I'm still on the trade the pick wagon, Sergachev or Chychrun won't be ready for at least a couple of years. We don't have that kind of time, we're currently dealing with this problem with Nurse. We need him to be ahead of his development curve. I'd be up to send the pick out for a solid #2 Dman as long as we acquire another top 4 guy we'll be looking good on the back end.

Klefbom - Hamonic
Sekera - Demers
Davidson - Nurse/Reinhart/Osterle/Fayne

Not a world beating group by any stretch but if we can then ship out Eberle for some more jam down the middle or on the wings.

We've been saying that for a decade and still dont have that guy. We need to make the time. We're in such a rush to be good now that we never think about a year or two in the future. So we load up on wingers that are good right away but dont fix the real needs of the team. If it was so easy to trade for a top d-man I'd be fine with it but it hasnt proven to be that way.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Hang on, isn't the focus on trading the pick away, as opposed to trading down? The difference would be the pick plus Eberle for Subban, versus the pick for Montreal's 9OA plus a minor piece.

(Those proposals as are just illustrations, not actual proposals)

What's the point of trading down? We've got a glut of young defencemen but the forwards prospect pool is pretty thin. And, after falling out of the top three, the pick becomes expendable to get a legit defenceman.

My preference is to trade the pick away, but otherwise they should just take Dubois or Tkachuk.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
No, the 2 Finns are at least 1 level ahead of Dubois/Tkachuk.
Puljujärvi is awesome and, if at all, not far behind Laine.

I just can't help but feel that Dubois is being overlooked. He's the only guy in the top 10-15 prospects that I haven't been able to watch unfortunately, but all the scouting reports and video I've seen make him seem like a fantastic prospect. Plus the fact that he's a center. I think he could be closer to Puljujarvi than people think.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I remember being so excited when they picked him. Hockey News was comparing him to Lemiuex...

:laugh: yup.

That was a few years after I became a die hard fan.

"Arnott last year and now a bigger, better Arnott? Awsome!!" my young self thought.

I was however mad when they took some bum named Smyth instead of Storr @6.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I think if Laine was a center he'd go 1st OA. I'll admit it does sting a little to lose the chance to draft him.

IMO, the only things that sting from losing the lottery are not seeing HF meltdown and putting up with media's Leafs lovefest

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
I rather Chia trade this pick than move RNH or Eberle.

Agreed but how does that change this group going forward? Cause something has to be done. One of the 6mil guys has to be moved. It's getting stale in here, plus thinking long term and expansion rules smart money is to deal one of RNH Eberle Hall. Yak is just about out the door then damn is that RW depth chart weak :amazed:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

that would be insane if we had Puljujarvi at that pick. All the reason not to jump the gun on a trade until we see exactly who is there.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the Jackets put that pick up for sale to find their center.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Someone made an interesting point, if the Oilers had one their three consecutive 1OA picks 2007-2009 instead of 2010-2012, they'd have Kane, Stamkos, and Tavares. I'd rather have one of those guys than the three picks the oilers got.

Bad timing except for the McDavid pick.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Hang on, isn't the focus on trading the pick away, as opposed to trading down? The difference would be the pick plus Eberle for Subban, versus the pick for Montreal's 9OA plus a minor piece.

(Those proposals as are just illustrations, not actual proposals)

What's the point of trading down? We've got a glut of young defencemen but the forwards prospect pool is pretty thin. And, after falling out of the top three, the pick becomes expendable to get a legit defenceman.

My preference is to trade the pick away, but otherwise they should just take Dubois or Tkachuk.

This is the draft thread, so the prevailing talk should be draft and prospect focused. I think the majority of us want to trade the pick outright, but that shouldn't mean we cover our ears and close our minds to the scenario we use the pick to draft.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Someone made an interesting point, if the Oilers had one their three consecutive 1OA picks 2007-2009 instead of 2010-2012, they'd have Kane, Stamkos, and Tavares. I'd rather have one of those guys than the three picks the oilers got.

Bad timing except for the McDavid pick.

Hindsight is 20 20, 1 goal made the difference from us drafting Patrick Kane. I am fine with the way things turned out, Mcjesus heals all wounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad