Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Here's what has gone 4th overall recently:

2005: Pouliot
2006: Nicklas Backstrom
2007: Hickey
2008: Pietrangelo
2009: Evander Kane
2010: Ryan Johansen
2011: Adam Larsson
2012: Griffin Reinhart
2013: Seth Jones
2014: Sam Bennett
2015: Mitch Marner

Some interesting names and a few busts. I think the most common denominator is the fact that they mostly took years to develop. This pick I could see being no different if it is kept. If you look at the history of picks 5-10, you see more and more busts. I'd really prefer they didn't trade back. Either take the player they want at 4 or trade it out right.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm fine with keeping the pick if we can use our surplus of skill forwards and LD to get some RD. Move Yakupov and Eberle for defensive help. Then move one of RNH or Draisiatl for a top pairing RD. Sign 2 UFA RW's in the off season to play in the top six. They don't have to be highly skilled but need to compliment Mcdavid and RNH/Draisaitl. If needed, trade 1 of Klefbom/Nurse/Davidson/Reinhart for a RD. Start both Nurse and Reinhart in the minors if they are still on the team.

Maroon/Pouliot-Mcdavid-UFA
Hall-RNH/Draisaitl-UFA
Maroon/Pouliot-???-Kassian
Hendricks-Letestu-???

Klefbom-trade
Sekera-trade
Davidson-Fayne

I'm hoping that Dubois is the pick unless Edmonton finds a way to trade up to #2 and draft Laine. Keep Dubois in the minors, if they trade up then Laine will start in the NHL.
Potential UFA targets for RW could be Ericksson, Brouwer, Oksposo, Stempniak.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I get this point of view and I wouldn't be shocked if Chiarelli shared it.

Few points in rejoinder: (1) getting top d-men usually happens through teams drafting them and bringing them along slowly, if you have to trade for one it will cost dearly, and we'll see just how dearly in a couple of months;

We have the assets to "make" this happen. It takes two to trade but honestly Chiarelli's needs to throw in the boat or whatever it takes to get Harmonic at the worst. This year we know we have assets and Harmonic is being moved.

(2) I know it's the Oilers, but we shouldn't be making a pick with immediate help in mind. The successful organizations are always drafting good players and keeping good players.

The only way we pick a forward is if Chiarelli has filled our RD hole. It's not to pick a forward to play him next year, that's wrong. It's to pick a forward to fill our next biggest organizational need AND get the best player available in this year's draft. The defensemen in this draft could fall out of the top ten because of thier "lack of talent".

I guess (3) I don't think any of our current LHD prospects are going to be top d-men. I like Musil, but...

I hate Musil but he still could end up a solid bottom pairing type. Ahead of him we have: Jones, Simpson, Reinhart, Davidson, Nurse, Klefbom, and Sekera... That's absurd depth.

(4) remember the upcoming expansion draft. I would suspect we would lose Davidson, for example.

Can't think too far ahead and that doesn't change our holes and needs.

See above for responses.

Perfect world I would hope the fourth, Davidson, and Yak at the worst is what it takes to get Harmonic.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

Some interesting names and a few busts. I think the most common denominator is the fact that they mostly took years to develop. This pick I could see being no different if it is kept. If you look at the history of picks 5-10, you see more and more busts. I'd really prefer they didn't trade back. Either take the player they want at 4 or trade it out right.

Hopefully Dubois is the next Ryan Johansen. I am guessing Montreal will really covet that player and would be willing to overpay for him.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The only ones that worry about R/L handiness in the NHL are HF fans...

There is some truth to your statement but the Oilers have dug a Massive hole that absolutely needs to be filled.

The Oilers pretty much single handedly prove your statement wrong.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

Well if the Oilers keep this pick let's all hope it turns out better than their last 4th overall selection in 1994. Future Superstar Jason Bonsignore.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
See above for responses.

Perfect world I would hope the fourth, Davidson, and Yak at the worst is what it takes to get Harmonic.

That's a huge overpay for a guy who requested a trade. I really don't think Chiarelli needs to move the pick unless it's used in a big package for a top flight dman in the mold of OEL, Pietrangelo, etc...

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
That's a huge overpay for a guy who requested a trade. I really don't think Chiarelli needs to move the pick unless it's used in a big package for a top flight dman in the mold of OEL, Pietrangelo, etc...

St Louis trades Pietrangelo, who's having a great playoffs, because for the sake of getting worse?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Well if the Oilers keep this pick let's all hope it turns out better than their last 4th overall selection in 1994. Future Superstar Jason Bonsignore.

I remember being so excited when they picked him. Hockey News was comparing him to Lemiuex...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

There are some very good players on that list.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
See above for responses.

I think that's way too much. In my opinion, the 4th alone is worth not a small amount more than Hamonic, although I realize the situation the Oilers are in is fairly unique. I wouldn't totally be against trading the pick outright, but they really have to get their money's worth when they do.

The last time I can remember a top 5 pick getting traded outright was 14 years ago, unless I'm forgetting something. It just doesn't happen often, and I sincerely doubt it's because teams aren't willing to give up players for the picks.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
See above for responses.

Are the Islanders at least including a jar of vaseline for bending us over?

Hamonic is a no.2 D who brings less offence than Sekera does. We are still the lowest scoring blue line in the NHL by a lot.

Some Oiler fans have totally built this guy up to be way more than he is like a guy who's losing his mind over an average looking girl because he hasn't had a date in two years.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Hey Oilers fans, I MIGHT need a sub for my mock draft to pick up EDM. They are currently up at #4 and I currently have a low post member holding EDM who hasn't logged on in a couple days. I'd rather an Oiler fan take them and make all the picks then having to put the team up for adoption later in the mock. I will be giving this dude another 2-3 hours to make his pick, then if he doesn't, I plan to let somebody else take over.

Please PM me if interested, you would have to be available in a few hours to make your pick right away.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2063441

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There are some very good players on that list.

Yes but there's no guarantees that this year's 4th selection will be one of the better ones, and quite frankly in this draft 4th overall will likely be one of the weaker ones. Maybe not, but that uncertainty brings down the value, as well as the development time for the reach their potential.

I don't think 4th overall for an established player on a good deal like Hamonic is far off at all.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Is any of this Brown hype justified?

Not at 5, but I'd say he's worth a top 10 pick.

He took a noticeable step forward in the final stretch of the season, the playoffs and the U18s.

He'll always leave you wanting more physical play, but his combination of size and playmaking is pretty rare.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Nope. If he wasn't 6'6 nobody would talk about him being in the top-10. No way I'd take that risk.
Eh? He just finished 4th in scoring at the WJC-U18 (beating Nylander) and he had a huge run to end the season. His size is definitely what makes him so intriguing but there is no doubt he has a lot of skill and he has one of the best shots in the entire draft. I think he'd make a great long-term winger for McDavid with his shot/size combination.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
The best defenceman in the OHL was Sergachev voted on by the OHL GM's. He's the youngest dman to ever win the Max Kaminsky trophy, and 2nd rookie to do it. The last rookie to do it was Bryan Berard who went first overall. On top of that look at the prospects Windsor produces vs the prospects Sarnia produces. After taking Yakupov who played in Sarnia Im leary of any player coming out of that system.

Just looking at the D drafted from 3 teams since 1995.
Player (NHL games)

Windsor Spitfires: Cam Fowler (421), Ryan Ellis (289), Jesse Blacker (1), Mike Weber (352), Tim Gleason (727), D.J. Smith (45)

(Projected #6) LD Mikhail Sergachev, Windsor Spitfires (OHL)

London Knights: Nikita Zadorov (89), Olli Maatta (172), Scott Harrington (25), Danny Syvret (59), Kyle Quincey (499), Marc Methot (511), Dennis Wideman (758), Dan Jancevski (9), John Erskine (491), Alex Henry (177), Evgeny Korolev (42)

(Projected #7-#8) LD Olli Juolevi, London Knights (OHL)

Sarnia Sting: Mark Katic (11).

(Projected #9) LD Jacob Chychrun, Sarnia Sting (OHL)

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
I'm not sure a scenario is going to exist that would put us in a comfortable position to trade down and have our pick of defenseman.

4. EDM
5. VAN
6. CGY
7. ARI
8. BUF
9. MTL

I figure Arizona and Buffalo are looking at defensemen instead of forwards. Montreal would make some sense, as they'd move up to take PLD, but at 9th, we're at the mercy of everyone else taking defenseman.

I could see a situation where Calgary would want to leapfrog Vancouver to have their pick of forwards, but I don't like PLD or Tkachuk going to Calgary. heh.

sure

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad