Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
So the Edmonton Oilers are picking 4th overall which could be really nice for us actually. I'm inclined that it definitely makes sense taking Jakob Chychrun here, and I'm from London and have seen Olli Juolevi play and he is great, but I like the "Drew Doughty" like playing style that Chychrun offers.......

You really think he has Doughty like style?

I am right here with you in the city of London, and have seen Juolevi play many nights, (season ticket holder) and saw Chychrun play twice this season, and came away "maaah" not blown away. There was talk last year that he was gonna explode this year and be a top favorite for the drafty ala Ekblad, but it didn't happen. YES he is a tremendous skater but not to sure about his defensive play in his own zone. I think the diamond in the rough is Sergachev between the 3 OHL D men. Everytime I see Juolevi I think Maatta with more offensive upside. Not an elite D man, but a good one. Would be nice to be a fly on the wall in the Oilers Draft room......in saying all of that, I can see them flat out trading down or trading the pick for immediate help.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
Problem with that is, Leon is a better center than Nugent Hopkins is. It was already kinda evident this year, it will be more obvious by next year.

RNH has some skill, but he's on the soft side of things.

If anywhere, I would expect members of this board to be cautious when anointing young relatively unproven players as ready to replace already established actual NHL players. I dont expect Draisiatl to repeat or improve on this season, and no one else should. Its a fools game and we wouldnt be the first team to get burned in this manner.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This 4th pick was discussed pretty extensively onThe leaf board if you want to read every possible scenario for it. Lol we fully expected to be 4th for the most part.

Personally other than Matthews i don't think there is very much of a drop off from 2 to about 9 or ten. This is another solid draft year. Sergachev is who i suspect your team will pick. He is a awesome dman. A big puck moving russian. I like Tkachuk best though.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You really think he has Doughty like style?

I am right here with you in the city of London, and have seen Juolevi play many nights, (season ticket holder) and saw Chychrun play twice this season, and came away "maaah" not blown away. There was talk last year that he was gonna explode this year and be a top favorite for the drafty ala Ekblad, but it didn't happen. YES he is a tremendous skater but not to sure about his defensive play in his own zone. I think the diamond in the rough is Sergachev between the 3 OHL D men. Everytime I see Juolevi I think Maatta with more offensive upside. Not an elite D man, but a good one. Would be nice to be a fly on the wall in the Oilers Draft room......in saying all of that, I can see them flat out trading down or trading the pick for immediate help.

How much of Sergachev have you seen? I've only seen a bit, but was very impressed. Definitely a lot of potential there. At worst IMO he's a guy like Shattenkirk. At best he's a OEL/Pietrangelo level dman.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I dont expect Draisiatl to repeat or improve on this season, and no one else should. Its a fools game and we wouldnt be the first team to get burned in this manner.
You make an excellent point that will no doubt fly right over the heads of those who need to hear it.
This time last year Draisaitl was most likely to be packaged up and shipped away in trade threads.
He goes out and has himself a forty game run that anyone would be in tough to replicate, and suddenly he's the guy who makes others expendable.
Roster planning hfoil style.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Yep, has a ton of offence, big shot from the point and can skate. For me I'd trade Nurse for defensive help and keep the pick unless a Subban level dman is coming back. If Sergachev hits he's the type of dman who never gets traded.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You make an excellent point that will no doubt fly right over the heads of those who need to hear it.
This time last year Draisaitl was most likely to be packaged up and shipped away in trade threads.
He goes out and has himself a forty game run that anyone would be in tough to replicate, and suddenly he's the guy who makes others expendable.
Roster planning hfoil style.

He's always been a good player. He had a higher draft year PPG than Nugent Hopkins or Yakupov, the hockey gods bailed us out of those two weaker picks by blessing us with Draisaitl and McDavid.

I have friends who are Flames fans who are loathe to compliment any thing about the Oilers, but even a lot of them admit Draisaitl is a player.

I was worried the mismanagement of him last year would have damaged the kid, but it didn't which just goes to show how good he is.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
He's always been a good player. He had a higher draft year PPG than Nugent Hopkins or Yakupov, the hockey gods bailed us out of those two weaker picks by blessing us with Draisaitl and McDavid.

I have friends who are Flames fans who are loathe to compliment any thing about the Oilers, but even a lot of them admit Draisaitl is a player.

I was worried the mismanagement of him last year would have damaged the kid, but it didn't which just goes to show how good he is.
I'm seeing all the same things, but I am keeping my expectations firmly tamped down.
I would not say that forty excellent NHL games from Draisaitl makes anyone expendable.
And for the record, I wasn't directing my post at you. I think you are one of the most level headed posters when it comes to evaluating players.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton

I desperately want you to be right, but I think that the team should be planning for the worst, hoping for the best, which means not trading Nugent Hopkins right now. That would be planning for the best and saying to hell with the worst case probability.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I desperately want you to be right, but I think that the team should be planning for the worst, hoping for the best, which means not trading Nugent Hopkins right now. That we be planning for the best and saying to hell with the worst case probability.

At the same time maybe we need to stop being so damn paranoid with every young player. Yes it's unfortunate that Yakupov went bust and RNH's development has been middling, but Yakupov has the hockey I.Q. of a peanut and RNH's draft year was on the weaker side too, he wouldn't be no.1 in any other draft year, we were just kind unlucky that year.

It was all made up for and then some with the McDavid pick.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
At the same time maybe we need to stop being so damn paranoid with every young player. Yes it's unfortunate that Yakupov went bust and RNH's development has been middling, but Yakupov has the hockey I.Q. of a peanut and RNH's draft year was on the weaker side too, he wouldn't be no.1 in any other draft year, we were just kind unlucky that year.

It was all made up for and then some with the McDavid pick.

I dont know if its paranoia so much as it is skepticism. I think the nuges first year was every bit as good, if not better than Drais. Remember what it was like around here after that? Are center problems were solved, he was the next coming of Datsyuk. Now Drais the next big joe and the nuge is yesterdays paper.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
It's fitting Laine goes to Winnipeg. I'm actually not that upset that they're getting him. If I can't have him on our team, I want to hate him. That'll happen in Winnipeg.

He's definitely got a cockiness that makes it easy to dislike him if he isn't playing on your team. I had this weird feeling prior to the lottery that the Leafs would end up getting him. The two would be a match made in heaven.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Chychrun got hurt early, which affected his early scoring and chances of getting on WJHC team..since start of December he's been almost exactly PPG.

Plays 30 minutes per game in all situations including PK. Had the most shots of any draft eligible d-man (suffered from a 5.5% shooting percentage) and had more shots than Tkachuk and Nylander.

One scout who likes Juolevi possibly over Chychrun admitted it would be interesting to see what Chychrun would have been like on London.

There's a lot of Chychrun that reminds me of a more physical Klefbom, actually, and maybe with a better shot.

I could see taking Sergachev first for his offence, but for me, if you're taking a D, Chychrun is going to be your minute-eating all-situations guy.

I think he's being picked apart because of his exceptional status and his great year last year. I think the same thing is happening to Tkachuk.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Chychrun got hurt early, which affected his early scoring and chances of getting on WJHC team..since start of December he's been almost exactly PPG.

Plays 30 minutes per game in all situations including PK. Had the most shots of any draft eligible d-man (suffered from a 5.5% shooting percentage) and had more shots than Tkachuk and Nylander.

One scout who likes Juolevi possibly over Chychrun admitted it would be interesting to see what Chychrun would have been like on London.

There's a lot of Chychrun that reminds me of a more physical Klefbom, actually, and maybe with a better shot.

I could see taking Sergachev first for his offence, but for me, if you're taking a D, Chychrun is going to be your minute-eating all-situations guy.

I think he's being picked apart because of his exceptional status and his great year last year. I think the same thing is happening to Tkachuk.

Trust me, I live in London and go to Knights games and have seen both Juolevi, Chychrun, and Sergachev. And here is how I see them:

Jakob Chychrun reminds me of a Drew Doughty. Now he may or may not have Doughty like career but he certainly plays like him. I was impressed. Still needs to work on his defensive game. But like Doughty, he can be used in all situations. Potential to be No. 1-2 defenseman.

Olli Juolevi is definitely great and his calling card is his Hockey IQ. Reliable of defenseman and will chip in offensively. The only is issue is, he's not amazing at anything, he's just good at everything. Needs to establish himself more to at least be elite at something. Reminds me of Olli Maatta and will probably be a top 4 defenseman.

Mikhail Sergachev wow does he have a great shot. Reminds me of a Nikita Zadorov with more will, and can he skate. Now there is a lot to like about Sergachev, but when your playing partner is a 6'7 beast in Logan Stanley, the defensive side of the puck can get ignored and it was evident when watching him. Will need to work on defence. Potential to be a top 4 defenseman, and reminds me of a more efficient Nikita Zadorov.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Trust me, I live in London and go to Knights games and have seen both Juolevi, Chychrun, and Sergachev. And here is how I see them:

Jakob Chychrun reminds me of a Drew Doughty. Now he may or may not have Doughty like career but he certainly plays like him. I was impressed. Still needs to work on his defensive game. But like Doughty, he can be used in all situations. Potential to be No. 1-2 defenseman.

Olli Juolevi is definitely great and his calling card is his Hockey IQ. Reliable of defenseman and will chip in offensively. The only is issue is, he's not amazing at anything, he's just good at everything. Needs to establish himself more to at least be elite at something. Reminds me of Olli Maatta and will probably be a top 4 defenseman.

Mikhail Sergachev wow does he have a great shot. Reminds me of a Nikita Zadorov with more will, and can he skate. Now there is a lot to like about Sergachev, but when your playing partner is a 6'7 beast in Logan Stanley, the defensive side of the puck can get ignored and it was evident when watching him. Will need to work on defence. Potential to be a top 4 defenseman, and reminds me of a more efficient Nikita Zadorov.

IMO Sergachev is more dynamic then Zadorov. And thats not to downplay Zadorov who went in the top 15, but Sergachev can go end to end. I've never seen Zadorov do that. Sergachev reminds me a lot of Provorov from last year.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Oilers should just take Chychrun and run. He will be taken by Calgary at 6 if we don't.

Player is not flashy, but will be solid defender for years and will play big minutes.

Or maybe the Finnish defenceman. Can't remember his name.

Last edited:

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
IMO Sergachev is more dynamic then Zadorov. And thats not to downplay Zadorov who went in the top 15, but Sergachev can go end to end. I've never seen Zadorov do that. Sergachev reminds me a lot of Provorov from last year.

You're probably right, Provorov seems like a more legit comparison, but in all fairness I only seen Sergachev go end to end once on junior and to be fair it probably doesn't matter if he goes end to end but moreless is able to rush the puck out of the defensive zone. Zadorov did that with Buffalo, I don't know how he's doing in Colorado though....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad