Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
mathews generational, haha... id take eichel every day over mathews.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
mathews generational, haha... id take eichel every day over mathews.

The only thing I've heard about Matthews is that he's a "special player" and that's from Marc Crawford who coached him. Not heard anyone in the media other than NHL Network say he's "generational". :huh:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The only thing I've heard about Matthews is that he's a "special player" and that's from Marc Crawford who coached him. Not heard anyone in the media other than NHL Network say he's "generational". :huh:

NHL Network last night right after the Shanahan interview. One of their younger, non-former NHL player hosts. He was on with Rupp and Weekes.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
If I'm the Oilers and I feel I need to trade the pick I have a deal on the burner around the 4th pick but don't do it until it is time to pick. Is it completely out of the realm that Puljujarvi drops a spot if Columbus goes D? Whether we want him or not that pick becomes much more valuable.

I'd even be fine with Dubois if we just keep 4th. Worried they might take Tkachuk though.

But I definitely don't trade the pick until we're up. People drop, just ask Seth Jones.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
If I'm the Oilers and I feel I need to trade the pick I have a deal agreed to around the 4th pick but don't do it until it is time to pick. Is it completely out of the realm that Puljujarvi drops a spot if Columbus goes D? Whether we want him or not that pick becomes much more valuable.

I'd even be fine with Dubois if we just keep 4th. Worried they might take Tkachuk though.

I'd say the odds of that happening are 0.0%. Especially when you factor in their GM and head scout are both Finnish.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
If I'm the Oilers and I feel I need to trade the pick I have a deal on the burner around the 4th pick but don't do it until it is time to pick. Is it completely out of the realm that Puljujarvi drops a spot if Columbus goes D? Whether we want him or not that pick becomes much more valuable.

But I definitely don't trade the pick until we're up. People drop, just ask Seth Jones.

Columbus won't go D, that's the strength of their organization. I could see them potentially having interest in Dubois though since they traded their top center away and now have Dubinsky and Wennberg as their top 6 centers.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm interested in how far Nylander falls... very talented player who's likely being underrated.

I realize most here don't see him as a fit for the Oilers (and I generally agree) ... but I'm interested in seeing how many other teams will pass on him before he's actually chosen.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm interested in how far Nylander falls... very talented player who's likely being underrated.

I realize most here don't see him as a fit for the Oilers (and I generally agree) ... but I'm interested in seeing how many other teams will pass on him before he's actually chosen.

I think it depends a lot on what the Flames does and who is still available at that point, but considering Calgary has like 1 right-handed player in their entire forward group, adding a guy like Nylander would make a lot of sense. Would be kinda cool too considering Nylander is actually born in Calgary.

If Calgary pass on him I'd assume Montreal would take him at #9, but you never know, maybe the prefer a centre and grab one of Tyson Jost, Logan Brown and Michael McLeod. Realistically he could fall into the teens, just like Barzal and Connor did last year, but it would be quite unexpected and frankly quite dumb for teams to pass on him. He's a really good player that's going to be an offensive dynamo in the NHL.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Found this quote from a scout that someone posted on the mainboards regarding Pierre-Luc Dubois.

Watch him play. I watched him at least 40 times this year, and in every contest he was dominant and uncontainable. If you watch him for a long period of time, you will see why he is more than just a "climber" and not just a big body. He is an unstoppable force at both ends of the ice, and he is consistent from game-to-game, from shift-to-shift. He's the type of player you build a team around because he makes those around him better and facilitates growth for both himself and his teammates on the ice.

Pretty high praise, but that's the type of player I see him being as well and why I like him so much.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I have no delusions of Harmonic being more than a 2/3 guy but he is a guy who would improve our team significantly.

He isn't worth what I proposed but those are assets that we will not miss imo, overpay or not.

Sometimes you got to give more to get what you need.

Why do youalways call him Harmonic? You know that isn't his name, right?

Bangers

May 31, 2006

His mom may demand a trade if the Oilers draft him.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
His mom may demand a trade if the Oilers draft him.

for those who do not recall or know

Nylander's father had verbally agreed to a contract with the oilers, stauffer announced it at a golf tourny, plane tickets booked and hotel room booked for the announcement for when Nylander flew in. Next morning he signed with the caps for less money then the oilers were offering--reason given to the change? Wife overruled him.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Well I guess this new lottery system did to us what they wanted it to do to us.

Had it just been a single draw, we would have kept our #2 spot and Laine.

I'm still looking at the silver lining here. Not getting Laine stings, but we can finally go into a season not expecting a rookie to help us win!

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

I'm still looking at the silver lining here. Not getting Laine stings, but we can finally go into a season not expecting a rookie to help us win!

Yep.

Too bad it didn't actually prevent a tanking team from getting 1st overall.

Shouldn't the NHL be now looking at changing the system because it obviously didn't work?..:naughty:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I also have to say, unless a clear #4 comes out of this draft, If we don't want to trade the pick outright, I'd love to trade down.

I don't want to hear about how Calgary and Vancouver took better players after us.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yep.

Shouldn't the NHL be now looking at changing the system because it obviously didn't work?..:naughty:

that is the problem I have with the TO media right now--they are playing down the tank

Leafs traded for players and told them not to report and when players were healthy to return for the last 5 games the team shut them down-- Leafs had 7 emergency recalls to play some players who wont be in the NHL next season. Leafs played to lose

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yep.

I found the announcement kind of compelling as well, because once a team didn't come up where they were supposed to, it made things very interesting.

This was the worst case for the Oilers, but they won McDavid last year, and that will make up for 1000 lost draft lotteries.

As for the pick, I think I take Dubois every day. Though I wonder, how good is this "Brown" kid?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I also have to say, unless a clear #4 comes out of this draft, If we don't want to trade the pick outright, I'd love to trade down.

I don't want to hear about how Calgary and Vancouver took better players after us

Meh, it's the draft, it's entirely possible any of those top-3 aren't as good as players taken later.

I think the Oilers might trade down a couple spots and add some picks, but I trust Chiarelli to have a clear plan on what he's going to do with this pick.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Bit interesting having the #4 pick. At 2 I saw us as having limited options, but now at 4 there is a lot of options with players and a trade is more likely than if we would've had 2.

I guess it's just nice going into a draft not knowing what is going to happen.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
for those who do not recall or know

Nylander's father had verbally agreed to a contract with the oilers, stauffer announced it at a golf tourny, plane tickets booked and hotel room booked for the announcement for when Nylander flew in. Next morning he signed with the caps for less money then the oilers were offering--reason given to the change? Wife overruled him.

In retrospect, another signing/trade I am glad never went through. Add him to the Heatley, Clarkson pile.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

To be honest, the whole thing kind of p***es me off.

The media: "Rabble rabble, the Oilers can't win or the whole system is a sham ... wait, the Leafs (who blatantly tanked) won it? ... The system works! Everything is fine again."

Complete and utter BS.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I can confirm that several Toronto media guys have used the phrase "Could be a generational talent" with matthews since the leafs won the draft and since the leafs finished last he has been compared to Sakic, Seleane, Esposito, Clarke, Sittler, Modano, Perreault. LaFontaine, Dionne, Francis, Yzerman, and others--you get the drift. fan590 on saturday said he could be a sure fire hall of famer

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
To be honest, the whole thing kind of p***es me off.

The media: "Rabble rabble, the Oilers can't win or the whole system is a sham ... wait, the Leafs (who blatantly tanked) won it? ... The system works! Everything is fine again."

Complete and utter BS.

Let's add to the fact that Matthews looked just like McDavid did last year, but Leafs fans and media are already saying "There was a communication delay, and it was 3am, he was tired. This is different"

Both kids were bummed they didn't go to their childhood teams. Both kids forget that the second they put on their new jersey and go to war with new teammates.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
A part of me now want a Canadian division so we can have a Toronto-Edmonton-Montreal-Winnipeg rivalry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad