GDT: Draft Lottery 5/8/2023 8 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I have mentally prepared myself for the nightmare fuel of Washington and Philadelphia winning the lottery. I can only be pleasantly surprised from here
Philadelphia is possible, together with Chicago and Montreal is the original 6 team which can draft from the 1th round.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Just don't slide back, please.

Is that too much to ask for?

Yup, probably is.

:(

Reactions: CBJx614

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yessss, expect the worst so if it doesn't come to pass you'll be pleasantly surprised
I think of it less as "expect" and more as "be prepared for". I find the distinction important - merely expecting it allows for the possibility of just sitting around moping about It's All So Unfair, while preparing for it means that when the universe does screw you over you can go all "f*** you, Jobu, I did it myself". :)

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
A quick google search didn't yield the result I was looking for - I assume the actual lottery will be behind closed doors as usual and we just see Daly with the team cards as he does the pick countdown? I know they'll show a clip of the lottery balls dropping later, but that won't be shown live, right?

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
A quick google search didn't yield the result I was looking for - I assume the actual lottery will be behind closed doors as usual and we just see Daly with the team cards as he does the pick countdown? I know they'll show a clip of the lottery balls dropping later, but that won't be shown live, right?
Well, it isn't really balls dropping. Yes, there are 14 balls numbered 1-14 and four are drawn for each pick, but then they have to find the two winning combinations in the lists of 1001 outcomes (they throw one out to make it an even 1000). 185 of those 1000 are ours. I don't know that I want to watch people look at spreadsheets.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think so. The video the NHL releases later of the actual lottery itself is usually kinda interesting.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Well, it isn't really balls dropping. Yes, there are 14 balls numbered 1-14 and four are drawn for each pick, but then they have to find the two winning combinations in the lists of 1001 outcomes (they throw one out to make it an even 1000). 185 of those 1000 are ours. I don't know that I want to watch people look at spreadsheets.
I actually would. We all have access to the same number combinations so it would be exciting to try and quickly scan and see if CBJ were still in the running at the last ball.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Don't care if you're religious or not, everyone pray! Also be nice to everyone and hopefully get good karma. Sports been good to me lately so hopefully trend continues.

Reactions: VT

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Not only is today lottery day, it's also the day that, at work, we demonstrate the work-in-progress webapp I've been hacking on for a couple years to NIH folks. So I get double stress today!

(Thankfully I'm not the one running the demo; I'm just there in case questions need to be answered. But still. :scared: )
Godspeed

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
It's gonna be 45 minutes of them talking and bs and then probably 5 minutes of counting backwards from the 16th pick down.

At this point, all I want it is to maintain and not slide back. Bedard or Fantilli and I'll be absolutely over the moon.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Meh, the very worst case is we get Michkov which I would be absolutely thrilled about
1683579068197.gif

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
It's gonna be 45 minutes of them talking and bs and then probably 5 minutes of counting backwards from the 16th pick down.

At this point, all I want it is to maintain and not slide back. Bedard or Fantilli and I'll be absolutely over the moon.
1683579264464.gif

Reactions: CBJx614

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I want this to be the year the first two cards he flips are winners. That would kill their whole show 😂
That's a pickle - if we must drop two spots, would we be okay with St Louis and Vancouver winning #1 and #2? It's not the worst possible looking at the consensus opinions but probably not the 'best' either. I'd probably take it to prevent Chicago and some other undesirables getting the picks...

Two and a half hours to go, getting antsy... :D

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
That's a pickle - if we must drop two spots, would we be okay with St Louis and Vancouver winning #1 and #2? It's not the worst possible looking at the consensus opinions but probably not the 'best' either. I'd probably take it to prevent Chicago and some other undesirables getting the picks...

Two and a half hours to go, getting antsy... :D
If the first two cards are flipped, that means 16th and 15th won the lottery and we don't move at all as they would move into 6th and 5th.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It's like we are all 8 years old and awaiting Santa Claus.
How many 8 year olds actually wake up with a lump of coal in the morning?

While I'm sure anyone we draft can be a fine NHL player, Bobby Ryan was not Sidney Crosby and Kirk Muller was not Mario Lemieux.

Maybe a bit extreme, Those players weren't lumps of coal but they were very serviceable pieces of cup winning puzzles. They weren't franchise changing players though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad