GDT: Draft Lottery 5/8/2023 8 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
What do people see in Carlsson that puts him clearly ahead of someone like Lundell as a prospect? Very similar production in their draft years (SHL vs Liiga, SHL is arguably the better league these days but shouldn't be a big difference) - because of covid Lundell didn't have the opportunity to play WJC or WHC in his draft season, but the next year he did well (7gp 6+4=10 in WJC and 10gp 3+4=7 in mens tournament). Barkov for example was within sniffing distance of P/GP in Liiga during his draft season, while Carlsson & Lundell are/were more like 0.6P/GP.

Honest question and not meant as any kind of dig at Carlsson, like I've kept saying I haven't really watched any of these kids play much at all and Lundell is a great player who was an absolute steal at 12OA. Watching FLA in these playoffs, many nights the real difference in the games has been that 3rd line centered by Lundell and he also plays PK and if he played for the Jackets I think he'd be the #1 or #2 center depending on how they put together the lines.

Personally I think proleague players are pretty safe picks, so that's in Carlsson favor in this years draft. Again going back to Lundell's draft year, there were plenty of forward prospects that went before him because of their junior totals, but many of those guys have yet to make the NHL or have been really underwhelming compared to Lundell.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Not sure who to pray to, but it sure as hell ain’t the hockey gods. Those guys hate us.

I’ve had a weird feeling for months now that we were finally going to win a 1st overall, which, naturally, means we’re picking 4th.

I look forward to my optimism being replaced by months long disappointment tonight.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
If CLB wins the lottery and we land Bedard, and Larsen proves to be a great coach next season, I’m gonna’ have to eat so much crow that I’ll puke and tip my hat, and then eat the hat as well. Maybe everything is going to plan, and all we need is a somewhat realistic amount of luck and end up as a contender within two years. I’m an optimistic person by nature, so I can’t jinx things ☺️

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If CLB wins the lottery and we land Bedard, and Larsen proves to be a great coach next season, I’m gonna’ have to eat so much crow that I’ll puke and tip my hat, and then eat the hat as well. Maybe everything is going to plan, and all we need is a somewhat realistic amount of luck and end up as a contender within two years. I’m an optimistic person by nature, so I can’t jinx things ☺️
Lars will be a great coach in some league. Maybe not professional hockey but somewhere he can be succesful I'm sure :)

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Get to see too much of Bettman probably. Guy looks like the face on a box of Lemonheads.

Pray for 1, thrilled with 2 and will live with 3.
Then wait for draft and see what might transpire.

I believe this is Bill Daly's moment in the sun vs. Gary.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I'm going with the Wade Boggs approach for this draft; I can either have chicken for dinner or polish off five 12 packs of beer between now and the draft.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
The pessimism has been beaten into me.

You really can't call yourself a true Jackets fan until this happens, welcome to the club.

I'm usually in bed by 8, hopefully they don't drag this out too long.

Also, anyone but Chicago, f*** that trash organization. Even the Ducks, with their blatant tanking, would be ok.

Last edited:

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
As I said in the other thread, the rise of Smith in consensus rankings to join the other 3 has made me much less stressed out about the draft. Sure, I'd love 1, but the CBJ are likely to get a great player even at 4. I'm not doing anything unusual out of superstition today.

Reactions: Toe Pick

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Interesting little tidbits I found on the Twitter. Don't know where they originated from, but interesting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230508_122756_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20230508_122756_Twitter.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230508_122830_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20230508_122830_Twitter.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 5

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Im feeling 2 or 3
Chicago is the original six team, NHL supports Arizona as much as it can, Anaheim has a better lottery.
Sorry, I don't believe "the road and fair" lottery, but I'd love to be wrong. :nod:

EDIT: I forgot Montreal and Philadelphia which are the original 6 teams too. So one of Chicago, Montreal and Philly although I think Chicago.

Last edited:

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
As I said in the other thread, the rise of Smith in consensus rankings to join the other 3 has made me much less stressed out about the draft. Sure, I'd love 1, but the CBJ are likely to get a great player even at 4. I'm not doing anything unusual out of superstition today.
This is exactly where I’m at. Wasn’t big on Smith at first but I’ve come around on him after digging into a lot more video.

Obviously the prize is Bedard but to finally suck in a year with so much top end center talent and to be guaranteed one of those blue chippers to fill a gaping hole in our pipeline makes me extremely happy regardless of the lottery balls.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I liked this quote from Sean McIndoe's draft power rankings article today, in the section for "Get your tinfooil hat ready" rankings (he also did "most deserving" and "maximum chaos" as well as a few others): "Not ranked: Columbus Blue Jackets — It’s going to be so funny when they win and Bettman has to pretend to be happy for them."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad