Tell me why I shouldn’t worry about the Canucks slipping

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Still easily a playoff team, I'd have them finishing 2nd in the Pacific. Might slip from 109 points but should still very easily finish top 3 in the division.

Reactions: Nuck Bonino

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
You should worry so much about it that you only post on the Canucks forum about how worried you are

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think that the OP has a good point and I don't expect everything to go as right this year as last year but some adversity is good for this teams growth and I'm more interested if they can take the next step in the playoffs.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Yeah I think they'll be a wild card team or 3rd in the Pacific. The month or two without Demko could really set them back but I don't know if anyone in the west took a big enough step forward to totally knock them out
Demko hasn't said when he's coming back but considering he's skating and doing drills for weeks, he's likely weeks not months and we have two above average goalies in the meantime.

This team is far better than last season and despite a lot of people wishing it would happen, this team will be competing for tops in the west.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
This is still a well-coached team with some top-end talent, but it also had 83 points 2 years ago with a lot of the same top-end talent.

And I’m seeing some red flags.

It was career years across the board for so many key Canucks last year. Isn’t some regression to the mean likely?

There aren’t a lot of returning players where you could say “that guys got more to give” or up-and-comers giving off the “this kid is going to make a real impact” vibe.

The guys coming in (Debrusk, Heinen, Sprong, Sherwood, Forbert, Desharnais) don’t look as good as the guys that left (Lindholm, Mikheyev, Lafferty, Podkolzin Zadorov, Cole) especially on the blueline.

Two important guys are out to start the season and it’s unclear how much they will be able to contribute. Joshua (and Zadorov) were identity players and IMO Demko is their most important piece.

I mean, on paper, the roster looks like a playoff team, but pretty much everything went right for Vancouver in the regular season last year. Reassure me why the opposite won’t happen this year.

Sprong is already better than all those guys that left combined 🤣

Plus Debrusk is a hell of a player especially in playoff. Dont forget about Sherwood, Heinen, Lekkermaki, Raty, Blais, Deharnais, Forbort, Lankenin, etc. Thats like 15 players replacing 5 guys you listed with only one of them being anything decent. Gettingbrid of Cole and Mikheyev is already additions by subtraction. Podkolzin didnt even play regular season much, maybe a couple of games, zadorov played 5th d and was a mid season addition while Lindholm onpy woke up in playoffs once he was added near TDL. You make it sound like we lost several hall of famers and replaced them with ECHLers 😅

Plus Canucks will add another top 4 D and maybe another 3rd line before TDL with the cap space they have opened up.

Sprong-Miller-Boeser
Lekker-Pettersson-Debrusk
Joshua-Raty-Garland
Hoglander-Bluger-Suter
Sherwood, Heinen, Blais

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy- Top4 via TD
Deharnais-Myers
Forbort, Juulsen

Demko
Lankinen
Silovs
Petera

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
Honestly not sure now. I actually like the team a lot better than they started last season.

Lindholm and Zadorov came later and while they were huge in the playoffs they didn't do too much in the season.

Someone noted Pettersson and really he is the only big concern. Silovs has shown well enough that Demko can probably miss a couple of months and it won't be a huge issue.

Reactions: quat

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Team culture, leadership and coaching is too good for a significant drop if any.

Pettersson is primed to have a bounceback maybe have a career year. Hronek likely ready for another step Miller, Boeser, Hughes probably have great years again.

Debrusk, Heinen, Sherwood, Sprong+ youngsters pushing up are better collective supporting cast than Lindholm, Mikheyev, Lafferty, Podkolzin and more cap efficient. We addressed speed on the wing for scoring.

There will be an injection of youth with one of Lek or Raty likely sticking to the main club at some point.

Defence maybe took a step back, but again cost efficient substitution. Non Hughes and Hronek skaters are all big rangy dmen, which seems to serve our system well.

Goaltending and the health of Demko is probably the biggest question mark.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
When you look at the Pacific Division:

*The Canucks have 2/5 of the best Centers (McDavid, Drai, Pettersson, Eichel and Miller)
*The best goalie (Demko)
*The best defenseman (Hughes)

Were they really career years?

J.T Miller scored the same number of points 2 seasons ago. Pettersson had a down year if anything. You can argue that Hughes maybe had a career year, but if anything he’s probably reached his ceiling and this is what he’ll continue to do.

Brock Boeser is really the only person that might come back down to Earth from a production standpoint and injuries. But I think everyone knows that.

They have better depth than most teams in their division too. That high-end talent should be enough for them to secure a divisional spot.

With that being said, Demko’s injury can change things significantly as it can for any team missing their starting goalie. Should you be worried about the Canucks slipping? Maybe, but it’s not cause they’re a bad team, it will be injuries and luck.

P.S. we added Lindholm and Zadorov when we were already 1st in the league :) I wouldn’t be too worried

Last edited:

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Classic overachievers due for a step back.

Naturally, everyone is riding high on them and can’t fathom them not being a top team just one year after they were widely perceived as a non playoff, 10th in the West, 20th in the league team heading into the season.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they revert to 2022-2023. They were the same high scoring team then that they were last season, but suffered with Demko being terrible before missing three months due to injury. With his questionable status to start the season and how he might play whenever he actually returns, it’s not hard to see them slipping back down to 90-92 points or lower.

Worth noting that they were 42-17-7 (.689) before he missed 5+ weeks last season. They went 7-5-2 (.571) in his absence. They simply play better in front of him.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Demko won’t be out for the whole season, prob not even half.

This team won 5 playoff games with Silovs posting sub .900 sav%

We will be fine
Yep. Better depth at every position this year except D. Forwards are stacked with the additions of Debrusk, Heinen, Sherwood and Sprong with Raty and Lekkerimaki knocking at the door. The only loss is Lindholm who didn’t do a lot in the season anyway. And there are 3 solid goalies, one of which is a Vezina finalist. D needs to be improved with another add by the TDL.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
There are definitely going to be some "that wasn't a good effort" type of losses, particularly after the excitement of the fresh season wears off. Last year they really wanted it, this year they expect to be good. Happens to most teams in their situation.

They'll still be getting on a roll at points and winning a bunch of games, but yeah it kind of comes down to how many things go wrong when things aren't going well. Health being the most important factor there.

Like, if Hughes goes down and none of the goalies really step up, it could turn into NJ 2.0 type of thing.

But it's not really fair to expect those things to happen.

I do feel like they're a tad overrated right now, but in the big picture the rest of the decade they should be a playoff team, so meh. Whatever happens this year happens and they're going to keep building.

Last edited:

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I like the roster more than what they started with last year. I don't expect the same heater straight out of the gates, but they play a solid team game under Tocchet and will likely be about the same, give or take.

They actually did face some adversity with injuries- EP and Hronek were ineffective for long stretches as they played through injury, Soucy was very solid and was a top 4 Dman that suffered multiple injuries, Lindholm got hurt after being acquired, Joshua was a physical force last year and missed time... and Demko also went down. A lot of this was during the 2nd half, and although the scoring dried up at that point, they locked things down and were among the best defensive teams during that time as they just kept collecting points.

People are making it out like absolutely everything went right, and that isn't really accurate either. Kuzmenko shit the bed, Mikheyev scored 1 goal over the last 50 games or something, and the career years are what happens when young or inexperienced players improve and are led by solid coaching staff and management.

A lot of people seem to think Van was just lucky last year: no injuries! career years! PDO! They don't realize that the organization is now a well-oiled machine from top to bottom. They are confident and willing to put in the work. Picking up where they left off: they've won every rookie game and preseason game so far

Reactions: Avaetheon and quat

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Missed 14 games means 2 months bud. So aside from some of the injuries you seem to brush off, you think Petersson playing with an injury since january was fine? I guess McDavid also didnt have any injuries, just missed 2 weeks, probably fake.

I literally wrote the dates down, if 1 month 7 days means 2 months to you, so be it :huh:

And if you're playing for a team fighting for the presidents trophy which wasn't in playoffs trouble at any point and you play 82 games, no I don't believe that injury is worth mentioning. You'd take a rest day at one point in the season if it was that severe and harming your production.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
the only part of the organisation that needs an audit to consider overhauling is the medical team. Organizationally, the team is as sound as its ever been the last 20 years. Its not going to fall out of playoff contention without massive injuries. With the extra cap space available this year and pretty good pro scouting (lindholm, Z), I dont think anyone wants to face the Canucks roster even if they squeak into playoffs as an 8th seed. To me, there isn't much to worry about.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I literally wrote the dates down, if 1 month 7 days means 2 months to you, so be it :huh:

And if you're playing for a team fighting for the presidents trophy which wasn't in playoffs trouble at any point and you play 82 games, no I don't believe that injury is worth mentioning. You'd take a rest day at one point in the season if it was that severe and harming your production.
You cant just pick and choose when players get injured to validate your theory. Maybe if McDavid gotten injured in the middle of the season then Oilers would be in the wild card. Basically you think the worst outcome in terms of injuries should be norm for an NHL season while anything thats not the worst outcome means the team was lucky 🤣

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Classic overachievers due for a step back.

Naturally, everyone is riding high on them and can’t fathom them not being a top team just one year after they were widely perceived as a non playoff, 10th in the West, 20th in the league team heading into the season.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they revert to 2022-2023. They were the same high scoring team then that they were last season, but suffered with Demko being terrible before missing three months due to injury. With his questionable status to start the season and how he might play whenever he actually returns, it’s not hard to see them slipping back down to 90-92 points or lower.

Worth noting that they were 42-17-7 (.689) before he missed 5+ weeks last season. They went 7-5-2 (.571) in his absence. They simply play better in front of him.
Want to bet your house on it? I doubt you would if you have one 🤣

Imagine all that depth and having a coach like Tocchet, foote and Gonchar not only miss playoffs but finish in bottom 10. Man the things i read on HFboard is hilarious. It woulf be similar to me saying Oilers or Florida will miss playoffs.

Canucks forward group

Sprong-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Raty-Garland
Hoglander-Bluger-Suter
Sherwood, Heinen, Blais

Yeah i cant imagine a team that has 2 20 goal scorers on line 4, 2 20 goal scorers on line 3, 2 30 goal scorers on line 2, 2 40 goal scorers plus a 20 goal scorer on line 1 plus players like sherwood, Heinen, Blais, Di Giuseppe as extras miss playoffs 🤣
The depth of our forward group is so.much we might have to waive players like Heinen or Di Giuseppe.

Last edited:

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

Imagine all that depth and having a coach like Tocchet, foote and Gonchar not only miss playoffs but finish in bottom 10. Man the things i read on HFboard is hilarious. It woulf be similar to me saying Oilers or Florida will miss playoffs.

Canucks forward group

Sprong-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Raty-Garland
Hoglander-Bluger-Suter
Sherwood, Heinen, Blais

Yeah i cant imagine a team that has 2 20 goal scorers on line 4, 2 20 goal scorers on line 3, 2 30 goal scorers on line 2, 2 40 goal scorers plus a 20 goal scorer on line 1 plus players like sherwood, Heinen, Blais, Di Giuseppe as extras miss playoffs 🤣
The depth of our forward group is so.much we might have to waive players like Heinen or Di Giuseppe.

Stranger things have happened. I know you’re emotionally bound to them. Good luck this season.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
did people forget that they got outplayed/outshot/out possessed in the majority of their games in the playoffs?

tocchet also got out-coached by a rookie coach

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

Canucks forward group

Sprong-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Raty-Garland
Hoglander-Bluger-Suter
Sherwood, Heinen, Blais

From a talent perspective it would be some sort of travesty if they managed to miss the playoffs with a roster that good.

That said, "having a coach like Tocchet" is a statement that really means nothing when he's made the playoffs in 2 of his 9 seasons as head coach. I'm not hopping on that hype train just yet, maybe in due time.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Stranger things have happened. I know you’re emotionally bound to them. Good luck this season.
Its not emotions talking, its facts which is shared by most experts and people here. Dont let your hatred for Canucks cloud your judgement. I hate the oilers but at least i dont make assinine claims of them missing the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad