GDT: Draft Day Bonanza - All rumors/speculation/draft talk here ( Poll Added!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do we take with the 9th OV tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
But which impact player is available at 7th and not 9th? Many years there can be really steep decline after like 4-5 or 2-6 is fairly even or whatever. This year I think you got 1 that is special, then the 2-3 with really good players in Svech and Zadina, but I really think you can make a good argument between all other guys in the top 15 after that.

But sure, if you think that you are not getting an impact player at 9 but one is available at 7 trade whatever to move up. But who can sit there and say that Wahlstrom will be impact but not Boqvist/Kravtsov/Farabee/KAndre Miller?

We can't. At that point, you either have faith in the organization's scouts or you don't.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not surprised about Miller, surprised about Addison.
My hopes of being able to nab Miller with one of the last two first round picks are being dashed. If the Rangers get the player they want at 9, I would consider moving up to get Miller. Or Samuelsson.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I hear that Elias Lindholm is on his way out from Canes, i like his game and think there's untapped offence there too so if the price makes sense then i'd love to add him… Righty shot which is neat too… Would look very good on Hayes wing if Hayes is still here after today and he's still the matchup C.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
some hot takes while were waiting

agreed, noah DOBSON is better than most here believe. he's perhaps the most complete (whatever that means) dman after dahlin. better than hughes- defensive holes, better than boqvist- questions and stuff, and better than bouchard- not by much tho. he's gonna go in the top 6.

Trying to think who would take him...especially if Montreal takes Kotesy and Ottawa takes Hughes as reported they're interested...

Does Phoenix pass up Zadina to take Dobson or Tkachuk? How about Detroit, what are they in need of? If Dobson or Tkachuk is there, which do they take? Are they more interested in going D?

Vancouver is heavily rumored to be interested in D and I have a suspicion Bouchard is who they like but if it's Dobson/Bouchard, who do they take? Would that situation be enough for them to trade back knowing they could get either? What if it's Tkachuk/Bouchard? Is Tkachuk interesting enough to take?

Chicago...do they go off the board a bit for a center, are they interested in D, or do they want a forward? If one of Tkachuk/Bouchard/Dobson is there, do they take them and let Wahlstrom slide to 9?

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
But which impact player is available at 7th and not 9th? Many years there can be really steep decline after like 4-5 or 2-6 is fairly even or whatever. This year I think you got 1 that is special, then the 2-3 with really good players in Svech and Zadina, but I really think you can make a good argument between all other guys in the top 15 after that.

But sure, if you think that you are not getting an impact player at 9 but one is available at 7 trade whatever to move up. But who can sit there and say that Wahlstrom will be impact but not Boqvist/Kravtsov/Farabee/KAndre Miller?
Guess it all comes down to feel. I think there's a few tiers here in the draft. I have Wahlstrom in a tier below where we draft, so if he's there at 7 that's a drop to me and I'd move up to take him. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You assuming just because the return was less than a 1st that Dreger is wrong. I love how people question guys like Dreger ( who have an established track record and proven connections) but will post a rumor from any yoyo on twitter with 100+ followers because it lends credibility to their own opinion.

So if he wasn't wrong and there was a bidding war involving 1's, how did we end up with considerably less? Bad job by Sather/Gorton?

Do I post rumors from these yoyo accounts?

I'm not even saying Dreger was given incorrect information that he believed was reliable, but it wasn't reliable information about the Talbot trade situation. I think what likely happened is that he was being used by Sather/Gorton to drive up the price on Talbot. And thats nothing against him, but it doesn't mean its reliable information that fans should take as a good read on the situation. The agenda for these guys isn't always giving 100% accurate info. Sometimes they are doing a favor for someone to get reliable info in the future.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Absolutely none taken.

I think people should be skeptical and ask questions.

Hopefully my track record over the years has proven pretty reliable, especially when dealing with information that is often unreliable and subject to change direction as freely as the wind.

I try to drop nuggets of info on here, sometimes a little more bluntly than other times. I think we’ve seen a few things in the last couple of months that either appeared later on in the news, or were pretty damn close to accurate.

But I completely understand. People have been questioning things since 1997 and I promise you it doesn’t offend me, so long as it’s civil. All I can do is try to keep posting information that is of interest and grounded in reliability, if not predictability.

I’m also doing my best to answer questions on here and in private messages, while I am walking in the city. So if my responses are abrupt, it’s nothing personal.

Is your wife telling you to get the hell off the phone already because this is her vacation? :laugh:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I appreciate the info given, it wasn't a criticism of you, although I guess you had the most recent info, so some took it that way. Whether its you, the other vetted people here, the "reporters" on twitter who throw things at the wall and are right 20% of the time, I don't consider it to be reliable. The only exception is the guy who comes around every now and then here who has been first and correct like 3-4 times in a row about Rangers news. I think he broke the Kreider news, McDonagh news, and one or two other stories.

It's a tough position to be in. Even if the information you have is correct, it doesn't always result in an action.

So yes, the Rangers and [Insert Other Team] can be talking, but if no deal is reached, where does that put you?

In this case, Tkachuk and Wahlstrom could be third and fourth on the list, but I'm not in control of any of what happens around that.

It's even harder when someone is out there publicly trying to do this stuff. I do basically for this specific board and nowhere else, not even the main boards.

Having said that, if you're going to put it out there, you have to be able to live with the pushback. So I have no qualms about the pushback.

I'd like to believe I was pretty close on the Tampa Deal --- at least 3 of the 5 components of the return. And the Tkachuk stuff was nowhere in the papers before Brooks finally went with it today.

Hours after I talk about Wahlstrom being as high as fourth, suddenly information about him is out there.

But admittedly it's hard to give you guys a smoking gun.

One, because it rarely exists. It's the same challenge prosecuting attorneys face --- juries want smoking guns and they rarely exist outside of television.

Two, because even if I had a smoking gun, I have to be very careful about disclosing inside information. I'd lost my connections pretty quickly if things pointed back to me, and I can assure you that teams do surf the internet to see if information is getting out.

But it really doesn't bother me at all. I completely get it.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
So if he wasn't wrong and there was a bidding war involving 1's, how did we end up with considerably less? Bad job by Sather/Gorton?

I'm not even saying Dreger was given incorrect information that he believed was reliable, but it wasn't reliable information about the Talbot trade situation. I think what likely happened is that he was being used by Sather/Gorton to drive up the price on Talbot. And thats nothing against him, but it doesn't mean its reliable information that fans should take as a good read on the situation. The agenda for these guys isn't always giving 100% accurate info. Sometimes they are doing a favor for someone to get reliable info in the future.
Trade market got shorted by the Lehner and Martin Jones deals. Don’t see why we’re arguing this in retrospect when they got good value for Talbot: 2nd, 3rd, and 7th.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Guess it all comes down to feel. I think there's a few tiers here in the draft. I have Wahlstrom in a tier below where we draft, so if he's there at 7 that's a drop to me and I'd move up to take him. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

You could be right for sure. But it’s tricky calls to make...

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

If I absolutely have to sell my car and I have offers for my car for $10,000 and $7,000 as well as a ton of other people interested, it is reasonable to assume I can get $10k+ for it. But if none of those other people make an offer and the guy with the $10k bid withdraws his offer as he bought another car, I can only get 7k. A situation where I overplayed my hand, much like Sather did in that scenario. He got greedy and it bit him in the ass.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
It's a tough position to be in. Even if the information you have is correct, it doesn't always result in an action.

So yes, the Rangers and [Insert Other Team] can be talking, but if no deal is reached, where does that put you?

In this case, Tkachuk and Wahlstrom could be third and fourth on the list, but I'm not in control of any of what happens around that.

It's even harder when someone is out there publicly trying to do this stuff. I do basically for this specific board and nowhere else, not even the main boards.

Having said that, if you're going to put it out there, you have to be able to live with the pushback. So I have no qualms about the pushback.

I'd like to believe I was pretty close on the Tampa Deal --- at least 3 of the 5 components of the return. And the Tkachuk stuff was nowhere in the papers before Brooks finally went with it today.

Hours after I talk about Wahlstrom being as high as fourth, suddenly information about him is out there.

But admittedly it's hard to give you guys a smoking gun.

One, because it rarely exists. It's the same challenge prosecuting attorneys face --- juries want smoking guns and they rarely exist outside of television.

Two, because even if I had a smoking gun, I have to be very careful about disclosing inside information. I'd lost my connections pretty quickly if things pointed back to me, and I can assure you that teams do surf the internet to see if information is getting out.

But it really doesn't bother me at all. I completely get it.
I appreciate you.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Can you rehash either here or in a pm what you have posted? I've been in meetings all day and I have another one starting in 7 minutes.
Here's the big one:
So I don’t have any bold proclamations to report, but some interesting nuggets.

Definitely got the impression that Tkachuk, Zadina and Wahlstrom are 3-4-5 for the Rangers.

Cost to move from 9 to 7 might be 28.

Some concerns with Boqvist’s decision making process.

Montreal reached out to Dallas about Seguin.

Calgary has made multiple calls about Hayes, who is generating interest from at least 5 teams.

Edmonton and Calgary at least chatted about Hamilton.

Think Rangers would be happy with a second for Spooner.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Here's the Canucks scouting meeting. An interesting tidbit, Jim Benning talks about trying to get more picks so get their board in order. Knowing they are open to trading with the Rangers, I wonder who the kids they are talking about in this video, I assume that would factor into them moving their pick.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Can you rehash either here or in a pm what you have posted? I've been in meetings all day and I have another one starting in 7 minutes.

Boom

So I don’t have any bold proclamations to report, but some interesting nuggets.

Definitely got the impression that Tkachuk, Zadina and Wahlstrom are 3-4-5 for the Rangers.

Cost to move from 9 to 7 might be 28.

Some concerns with Boqvist’s decision making process.

Montreal reached out to Dallas about Seguin.

Calgary has made multiple calls about Hayes, who is generating interest from at least 5 teams.

Edmonton and Calgary at least chatted about Hamilton.

Think Rangers would be happy with a second for Spooner.

I think they'd trade up for either Tkachuk or Wahlstrom.

I think they'd be more inclined to pay a slightly steeper price for Tkachuk.

But there are so many factors at work here.

I don't know if Bokk is on the radar. Kaut definitely is.

I have no idea on Kravtsov.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don’t doubt that for a second and it’s not strange either.

Truth to be told, I would be very surprised if we moved up from 9. It could be worth it, but it’s going to cost a lot and I just think everyone available from like 4-15 roughly carry about the same risk as well as the same potential. We are getting a good player at 9.

What we really should target is Florida’s 15 overall pick. They are interested in getting more picks. 26th plus a 2nd to get to 15. A heck of a player will be available at 15 too.

Zuc to Dallas for 13OA
we add an extra pick, the NJD 2nd, so they have something for the home fans at draft and don't think twice; we pick up 2 later lesser picks.

Now if FL will also move 15OA which is what we are hearing now, I agree w/Ola. Reasonable but nec overpay later picks to upgrade. Then we can see about using them or flipping further.

Reactions: Ola

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
Rarely post and so feel fairly free to make a fool of myself here, so... while Carolina seems to have found it sensible to declare they are open to offers for the #2, no one here (or elsewhere) seems to feel their price would be ANYWHERE within the realm of reasonability. But I've got to say... I would give up a LOT to get Svechnikov. In my own mind, a LOT could consist of any two of Hayes/Zuccarello/Spooner/Namestikov, plus one of our recently obtained quality defense prospects, plus the #9 and #26.

I'm hoping I draw Edge here or someone else fairly mellow but I'm resigned to taking what comes...

Reactions: Ola
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad