GDT: Draft 2024 @ 4pm PT, ESPN, ESPN+

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Whom you want us to pick?

• Silayev

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Levshunov

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Demidov

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Sennecke

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Buium

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Yakemchuck

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Dickinson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lindstrom

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

DucksRoll

May 9, 2015
I think a lot of fans are massively ignoring the significant risk factors with Demidov. There's a reason he's projected to drop and it isn't because all these front offices are dumber than the average fan. It also isn't because he's definitely worse than options who will be picked over him. It's because he carries a lot of risk for multiple reasons.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
What's the incentive for MTL to move up if they know 3 and 4 don't want Demidov?
There’s a ton of speculation around that 4th pick getting moved. People thought Philly, and I’m not sure which direction they would’ve went in, but now Carolina is mentioned a lot and that just screams Demidov, at least to me. Having said that, it’s hard to see the Hurricanes doing that without making some reassurance on who will be there at 4th. Wouldn’t doubt if they either made a move for three as well or looped us into that trade to just guarantee we don’t take their guy.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
I think a lot of fans are massively ignoring the significant risk factors with Demidov. There's a reason he's projected to drop and it isn't because all these front offices are dumber than the average fan. It also isn't because he's definitely worse than options who will be picked over him. It's because he carries a lot of risk for multiple reasons.
heard all the same shit about Michkov last year and he's gonna be on Philly's starting roster come September and Michkov's concerns where supposedly WAYYYY bigger, longer contract, undersized, dead dad, etc. etc.

DucksRoll

May 9, 2015
heard all the same shit about Michkov last year and he's gonna be on Philly's starting roster come September and Michkov's concerns where supposedly WAYYYY bigger, longer contract, undersized, dead dad, etc. etc.
Nobody wants to lose their job because they made a risky pick in the top five. Your job isn't on the line if you're wrong about Demidov. When you can draft someone who is also elite but without the risk factors, you do it and you don't lose sleep over it.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
Nobody wants to lose their job because they made a risky pick in the top five. Your job isn't on the line if you're wrong about Demidov. When you can draft someone who is also elite but without the risk factors, you do it and you don't lose sleep over it.
I'd rather a GM that's willing to take those risks personally, and there's no way in a million years the guy is losing his job over picking the BPA because of some bullshit reason like making a risky pick in the top 5, EVERY pick this year is risky outside of Celebrini (and Demidov if you discount the bullshit "concerns")

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
"Risk" is built into the concept of "best." Some GMs might weight risk a little higher or lower depending on their personal preference or where the team is in their rebuild cycle, but this is why ceiling and floor matter.

Reactions: Kalv

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Wonder if Buium has any room to grow taller still.

His older brothers are 6'2 and 6'3, not sure how big they were at 18 though.

DucksRoll

May 9, 2015
I'd rather a GM that's willing to take those risks personally, and there's no way in a million years the guy is losing his job over picking the BPA because of some bullshit reason like making a risky pick in the top 5, EVERY pick this year is risky outside of Celebrini (and Demidov if you discount the bullshit "concerns")
Literally no front office guy would agree with you. Go listen to the most a recent podcast from The Athletic. They explicitly say that's the issue. You can whine about it, but the reality is they're making the pick and you're sitting behind a screen whining about it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It’s so damn hard to find premier offensive talent in this league and we have one sitting potentially in our lap. Taking Buium would be such miss IMO.
Id argue its harder to find good top dmen

We have top 4 guys potentially ... maybe Mintyukov is top pairing upside, but Buium gives us a potential Fox/Makar type game changer on the back end.

We have some premier offensive talent in zegras/carlsson and depending on how you define it potentially mctavish/gauthier. You can also trade for that talent much easier.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Sometimes the players will bring them. Hutson and Reinbacher did. Sorry if I'm intruding, was wondering how people felt about Buium, who's one of my favorite players of this draft.
Eh lol prob a debate

We have our SIZE MATTERS fans,
we have fans that thing we should target offensive talent
We have fans that thing we should target to fill needs now

I think im cool with any of Buium, Levshunov, Demidov, Lindstrom or Sennecke personally.

I love Buium upside and my biggest reason for not wanting him is were pretty loaded on the left side... but if you think hes good and has potential top pairing upside you take him and dont think twice about it. Worst case is you Move guys like Lacombe/Zellweger at some point when your closer to contending.

Having Mintyukov + Buium on the left side for the next 10+ years is a pretty good scenario for us.

To add to that thought process

we have a lot of fans here that think they know what PV is trying to do, and prob discredited Buiums talent a lot leading up to the draft strictly due to size.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I do wonder if we take Buium if it is an indication that Verbeek feels confident he will be able to land a top-four Right shot Defensemen in Free Agency (and a top six winger..)

Reactions: Static

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Eh lol prob a debate

We have our SIZE MATTERS fans,
we have fans that thing we should target offensive talent
We have fans that thing we should target to fill needs now

I think im cool with any of Buium, Levshunov, Demidov, Lindstrom or Sennecke personally.

I love Buium upside and my biggest reason for not wanting him is were pretty loaded on the left side... but if you think hes good and has potential top pairing upside you take him and dont think twice about it. Worst case is you Move guys like Lacombe/Zellweger at some point when your closer to contending.

Having Mintyukov + Buium on the left side for the next 10+ years is a pretty good scenario for us.

To add to that thought process

we have a lot of fans here that think they know what PV is trying to do, and prob discredited Buiums talent a lot leading up to the draft strictly due to size.

I'm a big fan of Buiums talent, but far from a scout. I'm also a big fan of Silayev, which was another player rumored to Anaheim. I think in both cases your team would be adding even more depth to an already stacked and varied U25 roster.

Reactions: lwvs84

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He's a future #1 two way defenseman who can play any situation and people are hung up over the guy who likely will fall outside the top 5 and isn't even in the KHL currently.
I do love the thought of demidov and hope he succeeds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad