Speculation: Post Draft 2024 Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Whom you want us to pick?

• Silayev

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Levshunov

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Demidov

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Sennecke

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Buium

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Yakemchuck

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Dickinson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lindstrom

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I'll be happy with Demidov or Silayev. I voted Silayev though just because having him on the blueline will be like having two goalies on the ice at the same time. Nevermind the upside, even if he tops out as a 6'7'' (is he done growing??) mobile shutdown D I think it's more than worth it.

Reactions: lwvs84

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I'm going to stop reading about the draft. Every time I start wanting a player that'll be in range, the Ducks pick someone else. I'll start following prospects after the draft :laugh:
Through years of being a Ducks fan, I don't think I've ever thought correctly about who we would draft with the exception of Zegras which was always a pipe dream.

So f*** it, we ball.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm just wary of choosing tools over sense. It worries me with levshunov, it worries me with silayev, it worries me with dickinson, it worries me with lindstrom.

Why not both, sense and tools?

the Athletic, Pronman
Lev, Skill Grade (Pronman).png

CapFriendly
Lev, CapFriendly Scouting breakdown.png

Elite Prospects, Mitch Brown
Lev, EP draft score card.png

Reactions: Johnnyduck

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Buium seems kind of redundant for us no? The left side is crowded with puck movers as is. Probably the only pick I'd lament. Maybe Dickinson too, but to a lesser degree.
Best player available. Not saying that I personally think that (although I really like Buium's game), but at #3 that's what you do. I could very easily see the Ducks loving Buium's skating and hockey sense and going with that. Both Buium and Mintyukov are guys who project to PK, even if they're not prototypical defensive defensemen.

But yes, it will leave Verbeek some work to do on the right side.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't think he thinks the game well. Wonderful physical tools, however.
I think it’s kinda a misconception…. He’s gone from country to country and league to league…. He’s not only learning hockey at new lvls in new leagues he’s learning life.

I think levshunov is pretty raw in terms of what he can become, and has gotten pretty underrated in this draft. I think he’s the best fit personally from a need stand point.

To me the best safest picks are
Buium Levshunov and lindstorm(assuming our doctors are cool with it)

Picks I don’t mind but I’d consider risky
Demidov, Sennecke, yakemchuk

Dickinson prob in the safe zone, but I think he’s got a lower ceiling than those 3.

Silayev just fools gold…. A top 3 pick and I want a real dynamic game changer, I just don’t see that with silayev…. Would rather trade up from oilers pick and aim at elick /Emery

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
I’m hoping at the third spot we draft one of Demidov, Buium, or Silayev in that order of preference. I’m not really interested in anyone else at that spot. If we’re eyeing someone else then I hope we trade down.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well I think that kings and Canadian trade is kinda what we’re looking at to move up for guys in that 18-24 range

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Feels strange that we could be drafting Buium.

We just traded Drysdale, who I believe was traded in part because he was a redundant skillset, only to turn around and add a guy with a fairly redundant skillset?

I am ok with it because I am a strong BPA advocate, but it would be surprising.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Is there anyone at that range who’s in the worth it to trade the parts for? I was under the impression that the quality fell off pretty hard after 13?
I think that really depends on scouts feelings…. And when they think the next fall off is.

I like Emery, elick and jiricek

Chernyshov and hage are nice pieces

Certainly guys I’d rather aim at than whatever is at 58

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Buium seems kind of redundant for us no? The left side is crowded with puck movers as is. Probably the only pick I'd lament. Maybe Dickinson too, but to a lesser degree.
I think Buium would have to be much better than the next guy for Ducks to take him at #3 considering what we have on the left side. Zellweger is going to be far too good to be getting third pairing minutes and that's not even considering LaCombe, Vaaks, or Hinds. Even if Ducks draft Buium and decide to trade the other young LHD, probably wouldn't get full value because they have to be moved. Perhaps he's just that good, but I would think that positional need would have to be some kind of factor when making this pick.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Feels strange that we could be drafting Buium.

We just traded Drysdale, who I believe was traded in part because he was a redundant skillset, only to turn around and add a guy with a fairly redundant skillset?

I am ok with it because I am a strong BPA advocate, but it would be surprising.
We traded drysdale because pv wanted gauthier

Buium skill set is much better than drysdale imo…. And a set our scouts likely love

Reactions: DucksRoll and Kalv

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
It'll be Zeev, and the arena video crew will start a new tradition: shot of someone in a Kings jersey ("Booooo!") followed by video of a hot girl in the stands ("Yummm!").

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Obviously they wanted Cutter, but I think if Drysdale was a 6'4" physical D-Man he would have been tougher to move.

Reactions: Kalv
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think Buium would have to be much better than the next guy for Ducks to take him at #3 considering what we have on the left side. Zellweger is going to be far too good to be getting third pairing minutes and that's not even considering LaCombe, Vaaks, or Hinds. Even if Ducks draft Buium and decide to trade the other young LHD, probably wouldn't get full value because they have to be moved. Perhaps he's just that good, but I would think that positional need would have to be some kind of factor when making this pick.
I understand this line of thinking but when you take a step back it really doesn’t make much sense. He’s a better prospect than Zellweger was and he’s a better prospect than Mintykov was, you’re expecting him to be the guy in the NHL. He’d be the guy you build around, not the other two, especially not the rest.

I also think it’s moot because Zellweger, I think, has mostly played RD for a while now and Buium played there in college as well. Someone probably moves over and it’s fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00