Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I guess he didn't like the QA they sent.

95 NHL games but probably thinks he deserves more. We used him on our waivers exempt to start the season last year where he started AHL. Probably didn't like it but sucked it up.

Liljegren just got 2x $3M.
* 196 NHL games with 65 pts and 14 goals (0.33/game).

Xhekaj is just existing his ELC. I believe both Barron and Xhekaj got qualifying offers around $1.75M. Call it the Harris bridge but a bit of inflation due to a higher cap.

Won't be surprised if both Barron and Xhekaj got 2 year deals at $2M.

Reactions: Tyson

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
95 NHL games but probably thinks he deserves more. We used him on our waivers exempt to start the season last year where he started AHL. Probably didn't like it but sucked it up.

Xhekaj is just existing his ELC. I believe both Barron and Xhekaj got qualifying offers around $1.75M. Call it the Harris bridge but a bit of inflation due to a higher cap.

QO (qualifying offers) have fixed value based on the previous contract and are used to extend rights pass the deadline so the player doesn't turn UFA. They rarely get signed and expire by July 15th. It's just a negotiation delay mechanism.

All it tells us is that negotiation with Barron/Xhekaj wasn't a priority before July 1st.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
QO (qualifying offers) have fixed value based on the previous contract and are used to extend rights pass the deadline so the player doesn't turn UFA. They rarely get signed and expire by July 15th. It's just a negotiation delay mechanism.

All it tells us is that negotiation with Barron/Xhekaj wasn't a priority before July 1st.

Normal operations

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yes, those guys would obviously play above him.. but the thing is that you need a bottom pair, a bottom pair that can be cheap, give you around 13 minutes a night and feel good about that.

Harris is that type of defenseman. The Stars couldn't trust their 6th defenseman and it hurt them as they burnt out after two big series and a third tough test against Edmonton.
Its true ,besides Kovacevic, Harris is the guy everybody is trading. Thing is, MSL is giving him decent ice time and clearly has a level of trust in him. So I dont think the Habs have him as a guy they are definitely moving. Sure he is fairly vanilla in his play but that shows up as a fairly safe game and teams are happy to be able to put a guy on the ice that will safely eat some minutes. And it isnt as if he doesnt have ability, he is a nice skater and is able to get the puck moving out. On top of this, Harris is very community oriented and seems like a real decent human being, and while you may say so what does that have to do with hockey, to me I see a high character person.

He certainly may be traded, but it isnt a given. Right now if MSL had to put a young guy in at a key time, I say the order will be Guhle, Harris, Struble/Xheraj.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They didn't trade him yet. Keep my boy Kent, don't do something you will regret.

Doubt we trade Xhekaj but if we do, it's an offer we can't refuse. For that reason, he's not going anywhere. We all see what kind of physical presence he brings/offers and other teams see that too... however, they are not going to offer $1.5 of the dollar.

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
They are pretty high on the kid and recognize organizationally that he brings elements needed to win the cup.

I doubt he is going anywhere.
They drafted his brother probably because of what they like about him and added more of it with Florian. I am old school and like the hard-nosed players, always loved them come playoff time which is where they really shine.

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014
Arber could be an excellent, new age 3rd pairing D man who can move up to help out in times of injury trouble. It looks like he's dropped some weight which is key to adding some more mobility and agility to his game. If he can clean up his defensive zone coverage, he and we are good to go.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I can see us giving Arber 2 1/4 His numbers are actually pretty decent for a team that struggles to score and to keep pucks out of our net.
For all the running around he did earlier in his career it's obvious how much he settled down towards the end of last season.
I'm not sure if everyone will agree but he showed signs of being a reliable 2nd pairing guy some nights.

Everyone hankering to sign Guhle this is the guy I want sewn up for a bit this year. Guhle can wait.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can see us giving Arber 2 1/4 His numbers are actually pretty decent for a team that struggles to score and to keep pucks out of our net.
For all the running around he did earlier in his career it's obvious how much he settled down towards the end of last season.
I'm not sure if everyone will agree but he showed signs of being a reliable 2nd pairing guy some nights.

Everyone hankering to sign Guhle this is the guy I want sewn up for a bit this year. Guhle can wait.

Yup, Xhekaj is underrated for now. His problem (like Barron), is maturity and that comes with games played and usage. I think Xhekaj definitely has top 4D potential. So does Barron.

I'd lock up Guhle for 8 years. I'm OK with a bridge for Xhekaj and Barron because I think their usage will be on the lower side in the next two seasons. Chances of them getting high usage and burning you after a bridge is low. Guhle will get high usage and he can burn you with a bridge. That would be my strategy with contracts.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
In my opinion, he was overzealous in his first year with some of the physicality and scraps, but then tried to take a step back and was a bit too timid last year.

I think some of that is health related, and I just hope he can take a bit of a step forward again in being a more physical presence (and yes, fighting at times) and find that balance.

He is a great hockey player, but he can't forget what got him to the show, which is being a mean sob that every other team hates.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00