Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Shooting percentage has become the stupidest stat. Discussing it for players in their first few seasons, spread over different teams and lines, or acting like it will 'balance out' exactly to an 82 game schedule is highly Bedarded.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
1. I just got back from Prospect Camp. Tom Willander is WHOA!. I'm not even talking about in comparison to other prospects, im just talking about what i saw from him. Big, smooth, mobile, fluid skater, great puck skills. I could see why Button said he is a Charlie Mcavoy Clone. We need to pencil this guy into our playoff lineup this season. Hopefully he signs after his college season in March.

2. I love how are leaning more into our Ground and Pound identity. No team is going to want to go into a 7 game series vs us because win or lose , they wont come out of it healthy. I do believe as of right now we are more built for the playoffs than the regular season. I dont think our roster is anywhere near the finish product, i suspect we still make additions to the D-core and top 6 wing. I could see Hoglander getting traded, and to a lesser extent, Garland and Podkolzin being moved.

3. Debrusk at 5.5 mil is fantastic! This guy is a playoff beast. Toronto fans label him as the #1 Leaf Killer. He is big, rugged and is always around the net. He is also a very good PKer. He was injured for the 2nd hald of the season last year which is why he only finished with 19 goals but i can see him putting up a couple 30 goal season with Petey and maybe even a 40 goal season.

My only curiousity is how will he handle Tochett. lol he asked for a trade out of Boston because he didnt get along with Cassidy. Tochett i feel is more firmer that Cassidy so it will be interesting to see. Tochett has been fantastic with Joshua and showing him how to be more consistent, i feel he will do the same with Debrusk and were really going to see a player take it to his potential.

4. Would still like the Canucks to be in on Ehlers and maybe even Necas. I think we lack game breaking speed which is important especially in playoffs.

Hoglander , 1st 2025 , Raty

For Ehlers retained and then extended

or Garland , 1st 2025 and pick or B level prospect for Necas

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
The Buchnevich dream is dead

The Konecny dream is still alive!

I don't think so - they have enough cap space now that Joseph is gone.
I like Koency more anyway. Great even strength production while playing without elite heck even great players. Being almost a ppg player while playing with Laughton and Couturier the last 3 years with a ton of power play points is super impressive. Even if he doesn’t get traded to the Canucks I hope he traded to a team where he gets some better linemates. I think he can hit 90 points if he does.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Yeah Kuz wasn’t the problem it was Mikheyev.
The problem was both Mik and EP. Neither could hold the puck through any more than a gentle breeze. Kuz glued those 2 together just by being a hard guy to check, and a to the net attitude. Without him, it was just perimeter nonsense.

We went from 3 scoring lines, and a good PP, to 2 scoring lines, and a trash PP.

On paper that hasn't changed much.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I think if the Canucks can target a 3/4 D-man, preferably on the younger side. I'd definitely offer Hoglander + Prospect + Poolman (LTIR).

I'm not sure they intend to add much to the forward group at this stage though it would be nice.

Reactions: David71

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
1. I just got back from Prospect Camp. Tom Willander is WHOA!. I'm not even talking about in comparison to other prospects, im just talking about what i saw from him. Big, smooth, mobile, fluid skater, great puck skills. I could see why Button said he is a Charlie Mcavoy Clone. We need to pencil this guy into our playoff lineup this season. Hopefully he signs after his college season in March.

2. I love how are leaning more into our Ground and Pound identity. No team is going to want to go into a 7 game series vs us because win or lose , they wont come out of it healthy. I do believe as of right now we are more built for the playoffs than the regular season. I dont think our roster is anywhere near the finish product, i suspect we still make additions to the D-core and top 6 wing. I could see Hoglander getting traded, and to a lesser extent, Garland and Podkolzin being moved.

3. Debrusk at 5.5 mil is fantastic! This guy is a playoff beast. Toronto fans label him as the #1 Leaf Killer. He is big, rugged and is always around the net. He is also a very good PKer. He was injured for the 2nd hald of the season last year which is why he only finished with 19 goals but i can see him putting up a couple 30 goal season with Petey and maybe even a 40 goal season.

My only curiousity is how will he handle Tochett. lol he asked for a trade out of Boston because he didnt get along with Cassidy. Tochett i feel is more firmer that Cassidy so it will be interesting to see. Tochett has been fantastic with Joshua and showing him how to be more consistent, i feel he will do the same with Debrusk and were really going to see a player take it to his potential.

4. Would still like the Canucks to be in on Ehlers and maybe even Necas. I think we lack game breaking speed which is important especially in playoffs.

Hoglander , 1st 2025 , Raty

For Ehlers retained and then extended

or Garland , 1st 2025 and pick or B level prospect for Necas

this is tocchet and louie debrusk, i think jake's gonna get along just fine. the entire boston locker room hated cassidy.

1719952478116.png

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Moving Hoglander would feel like a mistake you're not replacing 20+ goals at that cap hit. Right now they have great depth scoring with Hoglander, Joshua, Garland, Heinen, Suter and even Sherwood. If you move any of them to upgrade you'll lose the depth scoring and increase the cap hit. The real issue is true top line talent and that might be what hurts them in the end but I think they took the right approach with the OEL buyout. Go for cheaper depth scoring instead of putting too much cap into one player who might not work out. They're probably hoping one of the guys mentioned above can take an even bigger step next season.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Hoglander's 20 goal season is a percentage-driven mirage, he'll have an unpalatable arbitration case next summer, this represents the apex of his value, and the Canucks don't have a #3 center (let alone a right handed shot with size and upside).
I don't really share the opinion that this season was a mirage, but it could well be his peak value; if he does it again...or levels up, he's going to get paid. Not sure the numbers work this summer unless we're willing to LTIR Poolnotmuchofaman. IF there's a deal on the table for a good young 3rd line C it might make sense. Pinto or Drury are interesting.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Depth wise overall it looks good, you can easily argue the defense is worse but hopefully Foote can teach Desharnais and Forbot some better puck skills, but unlikely. Upfront the forwards are definitely deeper and will fit Tocchets system hopefully there's enough skill there to score more goals than the other team. But I think it's easy to see that the offense likely dies with the bottom 4 d. So if that's the defense we run we're likely looking at low scoring games.
The Oilers had a good 1st pair and 4 defensive D and were amongst the highest scoring teams, scoring has to do more with the quality of forwards. The Panthers had Frosling as their # 1 and Montour as #2, they had OEL as #3 playing big minutes and on the PP (he wasn’t even good enough to play on the Canucks). We have 2 Elite offensive Defenders and were top 5 in terms of offence from defence last season.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
The problem was both Mik and EP. Neither could hold the puck through any more than a gentle breeze. Kuz glued those 2 together just by being a hard guy to check, and a to the net attitude. Without him, it was just perimeter nonsense.

We went from 3 scoring lines, and a good PP, to 2 scoring lines, and a trash PP.

On paper that hasn't changed much.

Yeah I think Kuz not chipping the puck in and just hanging on to it helped Mik & EP, if he did dump it in not like EP or Mik would be able to retrieve it. Pettersson needs someone good to carry the puck in that doesn’t get knocked off it easily, think DeBrusk will be a great winger for him because of that attribute. Pettersson line had a tough time maintaining possession, DeBrusk will be a huge boost.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
what if it's not a mirage and he's just a consistent 20 goals player from now on>?

Hoglander had a great season and he started on the 4th line, most of his production was 5-on-5. Petey wasn’t the only player that was stapled with Mikheyev so was Hoglander, having DeBrusk to play with after establishing himself as a 20+ goal scorer, I wouldn’t be surprised if Hoglander puts up 30+ this year.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Hoglander's 20 goal season is a percentage-driven mirage, he'll have an unpalatable arbitration case next summer, this represents the apex of his value, and the Canucks don't have a #3 center (let alone a right handed shot with size and upside).
Pretty much agree with this...I think capitalizing on Hoglander now is the best course of action...I like Hoglander but he is what he is...he's a bowling ball who has to play in the hard areas and he doesn't have a lot of versatility to his game...he doesn't use his teammates very well, he doesn't do well on the PP, he doesn't pk, he is inconsistent physically and isn't always engaged. He's a young guy who can score some goals for you and be an irritating presence on occasion...If someone makes me an offer to improve our defense and it costs Hoglander, there is no hesitation on my part.

Reactions: Burke's Evil Spirit

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Extremely happy this Trouba stuff isn’t happening while he’s a canuck, because I’d have gotten myself banned calling everyone who doesn’t agree with a player exercising their contractual rights a moron.

Yes, the team did the right thing and tried to move him. I understand the logic.

But that’s it. It isn’t his fault that they gave him that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad