Dougie Hamilton III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe that "ceiling" limitation is a little much...but, given what Flames fans think of him so far, I'm not so sure you can attribute the negativity to simply the fact that he's not a Bruin anymore.

What are they saying? They are hardcore hockey fans so I'm curious what their take is?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
What are they saying? They are hardcore hockey fans so I'm curious what their take is?

Venture over to their board. No point in taking my word for it.

Let's just say there are numerous people calling his short tenure in Calgary a "travesty" so far and I'd say the majority are in favor of benching him a game to try to send a message.

I've also watched him and he hasn't been good.

I'm with you in the fact that a good amount of our board will talk down a player solely because he's not a Bruin anymore. But, Dougie is different. He's been awful in every snip-it of every game I've watched featuring the Flames, and there isn't a single member of the Flames board who is yet satisfied with his play. Seems to me there's more than enough reason to down talk him a bit and maybe suggest he was overrated by some fans here (that includes myself).

The "idea" of Dougie (stud #1 D-man with size, could move the puck really well and defended adequately in his own zone) might have been a lot more than what Dougie actually was or will become.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Let's just say there are numerous people calling his short tenure in Calgary a "travesty" so far and I'd say the majority are in favor of benching him a game to try to send a message.

I'm with you in the fact that a good amount of our board will talk down a player solely because he's not a Bruin anymore. But, Dougie is different. He's been awful in every snip-it of every game I've watched featuring the Flames, and there isn't a single member of the Flames board who is yet satisfied with his play. Seems to me there's more than enough reason to down talk him a bit and maybe suggest he was overrated by some fans here (that includes myself).

The "idea" of Dougie (stud #1 D-man with size, could move the puck really well and defended adequately in his own zone) might have been a lot more than what Dougie actually was or will become.

I've been over there and it ain't pretty but there is some balance from the "patience" folks

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Hes got a great frame, great skater, great offense.... if he showed any signs of being a #1 defensively your matching the offer sheet and paying the piper and letting him grow into that contract even if its 8-10 per. But that aspect of his game was never there. Played some adequate D here and there but our team is actually better off giving his minutes to McQuaid.:popcorn:

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Makes me wonder if he has too much pressure on him and he can't handle the role of being a true #1 or 2 dman.

Reminds me of when the Flames acquire Bouwmeester and he struggled mightily with the team; then once he was traded to the Blues he wasn't the main guy again and become respectable.

He has all the tools to be something special.....it's just whether or not he can put it all together all at once.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I don't know what to think about Hamilton. Obviously he has talent and potential -- no question.

However, my view from the outset was that he might struggle in the West. Far too physical a Conference for it just to be taken at face value that he'll adjust and thrive. Let's face it, his physical game was not good in Boston and if you wanted to force him into an error just put the body on him.

Who knows how it will all play out. And if Calgary coaching starts to get on his case, who knows how he'll react. Hard to tell.

Regardless, since it was clear he wanted out of Boston and forced our hand a bit, I for one am going to revel in any struggles he has. If his minus 8 turns into minus 16 over the next couple of weeks I will admittedly enjoy a good chuckle at his expense.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I've been over there and it ain't pretty but there is some balance from the "patience" folks

He's clearly going to be better than he has been...

But, Flames fans are no doubt victims of "overhype" based on the media's freaking-out about the Bruins trading away another "star player" for, apparently, peanuts.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
A # 4 Defenseman is his ceiling ????? That's totally ridiculous.....and I have watched lots of hockey games over the last 40+ years. He may never be an All-Star but let's not start calling him a scrub now just because he's not on the Bruins any longer.

So, in a matter of months we have gone from Norris winner...to may never be an All-Star...to #4 D with some PP time.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen :laugh:

I was not Dougie's biggest fan last year, but let's pump the brakes a bit. He's not as good as some people here thought, and I doubt he's as bad as he has looked (and he HAS looked bad) in Calgary. I don't think it's in his DNA to ever be a defensive Monster or physical specimen, but ceiling of #4 D with some PP time seems a bit low.

I hoped the B's would get "more", but with the way Lauzon is playing maybe what they got was enough? Let's revisit this in a few years and see what happens.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

my view of Hamilton was like Jay Bouwmeester- really good offensive 2/3 who could be a 45-60 point producer.

Big, rangy, excellent size- good hockey sense or so I thought

I'd have paid him that 6-33 M contract at $5.5

paired with a strong stay at home like say Rob O'Gara it could be incredible was my view

I think he ends up what I thought 45-60 at times really good player

just to good a skater and to big to not be a good defender

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
A # 4 Defenseman is his ceiling ????? That's totally ridiculous.....and I have watched lots of hockey games over the last 40+ years. He may never be an All-Star but let's not start calling him a scrub now just because he's not on the Bruins any longer.

I would never call, nor think of, a #4 defensemen as a scrub.
On the B's cup team who were the #4 d'men ?
Johnny Boychuck ? Andrew Ference ?
Neither were scrubs. Is that Hamiltons ceiling ?
Certainly offensively, but he doesn't touch either of them defensively,
physically, or intangibly (if thats a word).

Last edited:

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
He's clearly going to be better than he has been...

But, Flames fans are no doubt victims of "overhype" based on the media's freaking-out about the Bruins trading away another "star player" for, apparently, peanuts.

Well, we did try warning them. We tried telling them he is not a #1 or #2 D yet, he has the potential to be, but he's not there yet. They said we were just bitter and our opinion didn't count. I for one will revel in their frustration. I have no ill will towards Dougie, I fell off the 'He's our replacement for Chara' bus a long time ago. We can and will survive without him.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Well, we did try warning them. We tried telling them he is not a #1 or #2 D yet, he has the potential to be, but he's not there yet. They said we were just bitter and our opinion didn't count. I for one will revel in their frustration. I have no ill will towards Dougie, I fell off the 'He's our replacement for Chara' bus a long time ago. We can and will survive without him.

It's hard for me to really care about a guy who valued playing the way he wanted to play over challenging himself to be the next #1 D for the Bruins.

Maybe it was "overwhelming" to him to have to fill Chara's shoes. But, something tells me it's more of a matter of character and drive.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
He is getting shredded on the main boards.

I liked the kid and was angry at the trade but maybe the higher ups know more then I do:laugh:

I thought this team was going to be terrible after the first 3 games, I thought we wouldn't have scoring, I thought Hamilton was going to be a beast in Calgary.

What do I know.

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal
What's puzzling to me is how all these so called expert hockey writers were so horrified when we dealt him, like he was the messiah or something. It makes you wonder if these guys actually watch the games or they just follow the agenda like little sheep. He may reach his potential but it's no sure thing.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
wow, just read the main boards....I really hope his mother doesnt read HF anymore or she is going to try to get him dealt back to Boston where he was bascially beloved. Whats the old saying (or maybe I just made it up) Canada can be cruel when your a -10 after 8 games

maybe Canadians really do know more about hockey than us in the U.S.:laugh:

scathing stuff

getting paired with Chara and having a strong defensive minded coach like Claude were probably the best thing for him breaking in

maybe we can get him back for our first next year if he continues his -82 run:laugh:

Sweeney>hockey writers, talking heads, HF posters other than me

indy

Oct 18, 2015
I think everyone was excited that he was available when we drafted him.
Most pundits had in going earlier. Maybe that was a red flag.

And he has size, skating and offence which was exciting. Yet there were many giveaways and too many to count moments when he failed to use his size and seemed unwilling to get mean.

Are there any top 4 d-men that don't have a mean streak?

He didn't want to play in Boston. For whatever reason.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
wow, just read the main boards....I really hope his mother doesnt read HF anymore or she is going to try to get him dealt back to Boston where he was bascially beloved. Whats the old saying (or maybe I just made it up) Canada can be cruel when your a -10 after 8 games

maybe Canadians really do know more about hockey than us in the U.S.:laugh:

scathing stuff

getting paired with Chara and having a strong defensive minded coach like Claude were probably the best thing for him breaking in

maybe we can get him back for our first next year if he continues his -82 run:laugh:

Sweeney>hockey writers, talking heads, HF posters other than me

This post is awesome, especially the bolded. You're my favorite.

dup7

Jul 5, 2006
Halifax, NS
FWIW, was out for the evening with Calgary's director of player development and was told over a lot of vodka that pairing DH with Giordano at beginning of season was not a good fit at all....they kept trying to make it work and only recently put him with Russell and it's been much better.
Got a boatload of great stories, fun night.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
FWIW, was out for the evening with Calgary's director of player development and was told over a lot of vodka that pairing DH with Giordano at beginning of season was not a good fit at all....they kept trying to make it work and only recently put him with Russell and it's been much better.

Do tell:popcorn:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Sounds like fun, but Hamilton and Russell did not look "much better" last night. Both were on the ice for the first two NY goals. On the first goal, Dougie literally had three chances to intercept the puck before the goal. On the second one he allowed a Rangers player by him on the boards, and could easily have been called for a penalty before the puck made it's way to the slot and the Rags scored.

I was switching back and forth with the football game later on, so I'm not sure what happened, but in the highlights, there is a lot of Russell and Engelland paired, so Dougie may have been demoted?

Dougie was 3rd in TOI with 17:57. Engelland had 17:47 and Smid 10:53.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
The Hamilton trade looks better and better all the time. In 5 years time we will all look back on the summer of 2015 as the critical period where Sweeney constructed the next great Bruins team.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm not gonna jump on the revisionist history train and pretend that Dougie sucked all along like some people here, but either way I absolutely love seeing him crash and burn in Calgary.

I really hope this keeps up because it feels good to be on the winning side of one of these trades for a change.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I'm not gonna jump on the revisionist history train and pretend that Dougie sucked all along like some people here, but either way I absolutely love seeing him crash and burn in Calgary.

I really hope this keeps up because it feels good to be on the winning side of one of these trades for a change.

Until the draft picks do anything at the NHL level, you can't determine if the B's are on the winning side of the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad