Dougie Hamilton III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
We know he tried to trade up and we know he didn't talk to the Coyotes for the third pick. However, we do know that the Coyotes took Strome with the third pick. Maybe Sweeney knew they were not going to take Hanfin because the Coyotes have a pretty solid young defencem IMO but weak at forward. If I were to venture a guess, either of Hanfin (5th), Provorov (7th), or Werenski (8th) were pretty solid prospect replacements for Hamilton.

Even if they weren't concerned with how they appeared trading Hamilton, I'd have to imagine everyone in that front office knows they need a young stud defensive prospect.

We don't know that they did not go for the third pick. We only have Don Maloney saying that they didn't, which is not the same thing. I believe that the B's did go after the third pick and for some reason, the deal fell through. If the rumors about Dougie wanting to play for a Canadian team were true, I can't imagine that PHO would have been a welcome spot for him to land?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I've been willing to make a bold prediction: Dougie Hamilton will be a Norris winner.

I'm going to doubt that,
Weber, Gio in their prime
Karlsson, Subban, Doughty, OEL in their early prime,
Ristolainen, Jones, Lindholm, Maatta a bit younger group who will pass Hamilton,
Ekblad, Chychrun, Provorov, Werenski future potential candidates,

Dougie has no chance if he is #2/3D in his own team.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I've been willing to make a bold prediction: Dougie Hamilton will be a Norris winner.

Said something similar in another thread, but not to that extent. People were talking about how much his defense will regress, and the flip side is really more about how much his offense will get better. If he really felt that Julien's system was stunting his offensive output, he could very easily see a dramatic improvement in that area. It's why I hate Julien as a coach. Everyone has to play his system his way. If you've got a skill set that falls outside what he wants, he forces you to change. At this point, I question whether that's for the best or is part of the problem.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I'm going to doubt that,
Weber, Gio in their prime
Karlsson, Subban, Doughty, OEL in their early prime,
Ristolainen, Jones, Lindholm, Maatta a bit younger group who will pass Hamilton,
Ekblad, Chychrun, Provorov, Werenski future potential candidates,

You bring Maatta up a few times and I will add that in 6 years of watching him play, I will admit that he is a good defenseman but I've never seen him as a Norris Trophy caliber guy. He's not a Hamilton level defenseman.

I'll give you the other guys - but Maatta? I disagree with.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You bring Maatta up a few times and I will add that in 6 years of watching him play, I will admit that he is a good defenseman but I've never seen him as a Norris Trophy caliber guy. He's not a Hamilton level defenseman.

I'll give you the other guys - but Maatta? I disagree with.

He's my wild card, he had a fantastic rookie year and a great start on his 2nd season, I'm only going from what I've seen from him on the NHL/Olympics and I've watched his every game/shift.

I remember the 1st game last season when he had heard he may have cancer and missed the pre season entirely due to surgery and he wasn't supposed to be ready for game 1 and had 3 assists on that game, and not lucky assists.
He plays on every situation, on #1pk unit and #2pp unit, already on his rookie season, doesn't matter what you want he'll be on ice and I'd take him over Hamilton, 40+ point guy next year with strong D-play, known for his workout attitude same as Pulju and maturity.

He's 1 year younger than Hamilton so next year we'll see how he compares to Hamilton's 3rd ELC year, if healthy I'm pretty sure he will have a better year. 1st pairing minutes behind Pens top6 while being on the #1pk unit.

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
He's my wild card, he had a fantastic rookie year and a great start on his 2nd season, I'm only going from what I've seen from him on the NHL/Olympics and I've watched his every game/shift.

I remember the 1st game last season when he had heard he may have cancer and missed the pre season entirely due to surgery and he wasn't supposed to be ready for game 1 and had 3 assists on that game, and not lucky assists.
He plays on every situation, on #1pk unit and #2pp unit, doesn't matter what you want he'll be on ice and I'd take him over Hamilton, 40+ point guy next year with strong D-play, known for his workout attitude same as Pulju and maturity.

He's 1 year younger than Hamilton so next year we'll see how he compares to Hamilton's 3rd ELC year, if healthy I'm pretty sure he will have a better year.

Put Hamilton on a team with Crosby/Malkin and Maatta on a team with Krejci/Bergeron and we'll see what happens to the point totals.

Points are only relative when you take everything into account. But if you are fixated on points, ask yourself this question: Who is more likely to increase Crosby/Malkin's production - Hamilton or Maatta? It's not even close IMO

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
HEs in a good spot watch out I see high point totals.

Now if Boston has a good year despite having a D that is a little slow and old noone will credit it to no Hamilton but I think we need to play the guys who are similar to Z and Seids along with them this year we can win with Krug and defensive minded guys.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Put Hamilton on a team with Crosby/Malkin and Maatta on a team with Krejci/Bergeron and we'll see what happens to the point totals.

Points are only relative when you take everything into account. But if you are fixated on points, ask yourself this question: Who is more likely to increase Crosby/Malkin's production - Hamilton or Maatta? It's not even close IMO

I had there that he plays on the #1pk unit and is better defensively(I thought I put), what would the difference be if he had Bergeron/Krecji?

And he will put up the points also which will increase his chances for receiving votes.

He put up 29 points in his rookie year with limited pp time and created their top pairing with Niskanen and played on #1pk on his rookie year already and was one of the best D's for us in the Olympics, he outplayed Letang at the start of 2nd season while missing pre season and not being fully recovered and knowing he might have cancer, I'd take him over Hamilton.
His attitude will make him a true #1D in this league and he will be beter than Letang soon.

Last edited:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
We know he tried to trade up and we know he didn't talk to the Coyotes for the third pick. However, we do know that the Coyotes took Strome with the third pick. Maybe Sweeney knew they were not going to take Hanfin because the Coyotes have a pretty solid young defencem IMO but weak at forward. If I were to venture a guess, either of Hanfin (5th), Provorov (7th), or Werenski (8th) were pretty solid prospect replacements for Hamilton.

Even if they weren't concerned with how they appeared trading Hamilton, I'd have to imagine everyone in that front office knows they need a young stud defensive prospect.

I suspect Columbus might have been willing to trade down if Werenski was gone.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Said something similar in another thread, but not to that extent. People were talking about how much his defense will regress, and the flip side is really more about how much his offense will get better. If he really felt that Julien's system was stunting his offensive output, he could very easily see a dramatic improvement in that area. It's why I hate Julien as a coach. Everyone has to play his system his way. If you've got a skill set that falls outside what he wants, he forces you to change. At this point, I question whether that's for the best or is part of the problem.

I don't have stats handy, but don't the Bruins typically get a disproportionate amount of offense from their D compared to most teams? I do think Julien's system stifles individual offensive production, but I've never thought it hurts D production. In fact I think a guy like Dougie thrived offensively in Julien's system because they focus so much on using the points to generate offense.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
And Dougie was traded to Calgary out of spite of Chia mentioning offer sheet.They could have got better but not have hurt Oilers as much.Thus Bruins settled a bit for less to stick it to Chiarelli is my opinion.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
And Dougie was traded to Calgary out of spite of Chia mentioning offer sheet.They could have got better but not have hurt Oilers as much.Thus Bruins settled a bit for less to stick it to Chiarelli is my opinion.

If that's the case I'd be more worried about our future. Spiteful GM's don't do very well.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Dougie decision-making coming under scrutiny. I'm surprised I thought it wasn't bad and once he stopped thinking this was the OHL and he could just go to any area on the ice and recover he'd be fine.

More likely Dougie wins Norris or is considered a bust?

By the end of that contract Jeremy Lauzon will be a better player

I guarantee it

indy

Oct 18, 2015
Dougie decision-making coming under scrutiny. I'm surprised I thought it wasn't bad and once he stopped thinking this was the OHL and he could just go to any area on the ice and recover he'd be fine.

I never considered Dougie a Norris candidate. Not even when he was with the B's.
You may have never watched a hockey game to think he was of that caliber. But a number 4 d-man with some pp time is his ceiling.

indy

Oct 18, 2015

By the end of that contract Jeremy Lauzon will be a better player

I guarantee it

With you there DKH. Talent wise I was never sold on dougie. After hearing he wanted out of Boston I was thrilled with what they got for him.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Dougie projects to 10 points and -82

My guess is 40 points -20

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I never considered Dougie a Norris candidate. Not even when he was with the B's.
You may have never watched a hockey game to think he was of that caliber. But a number 4 d-man with some pp time is his ceiling.

A # 4 Defenseman is his ceiling ????? That's totally ridiculous.....and I have watched lots of hockey games over the last 40+ years. He may never be an All-Star but let's not start calling him a scrub now just because he's not on the Bruins any longer.

indy

Oct 18, 2015
A # 4 Defenseman is his ceiling ????? That's totally ridiculous.....and I have watched lots of hockey games over the last 40+ years. He may never be an All-Star but let's not start calling him a scrub now just because he's not on the Bruins any longer.

Not calling him a scrub Bob. Just not a Norris trophy winner. The posts above were naming him Norris. He is soft in the corners and in front of the net. I wasn't in Love with the guy when he was with the B's. I do not see him as a top 2 ever.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Maybe that "ceiling" limitation is a little much...but, given what Flames fans think of him so far, I'm not so sure you can attribute the negativity to simply the fact that he's not a Bruin anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad