Dougie Hamilton III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
But..."He's gone and it's over".

Sure, but what they got for him is still here and it may or may not be something that develops. Surely it's fair to talk about the return because that return still impacts this team now and in the future, no? :naughty:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Sure, but what they got for him is still here and it may or may not be something that develops. Surely it's fair to talk about the return because that return still impacts this team now and in the future, no? :naughty:

It is.

But, for people that are saying he was overrated (for the record, I probably was one overrating him when the trade went down), denying them the right to speak on his current performance is sort of contrary to logic. If they can't present you evidence relevant to now as to why they think their point is correct...I'm not sure you're allowing a level debate.

I would have liked to see them get more. But, with how things are playing out now, both with the extremely small sample size we have on Dougie and the way our prospects are going...perhaps, the deal really isn't tilted too far in Calgary's favor (if at all) after all. Only time will tell, but knowing that will certainly involve looking at things in the future after the trade occurred.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
How is his stat line revising history?

I guess "whatever makes you feel better" is the theme here- dougies ok because of how you remember Eriksson's first seven games two years ago. :laugh:

What? Why would anything I'm saying here be designed to make ME feel better? That doesn't make any sense.

Eriksson got blasted here for being slow and showing a lack of compete level. He was advertised as the "better player right now" out of him and Seguin and looked anything but. People's excuse? He had to adjust to the new system. A veteran of the game of six years, considered one of the top two-way players in the sport at 27 years old in his prime. And he needed time to adjust to the system.

But somehow this excuse doesn't fly for a 22 year old developing defensemen with less than half the amount of time spent in the NHL?

It's ridiculous. But I guess par for the course around here. Certainly isn't the first time we've jeered a player who was traded for a laughable return when there's something less-than-favorable to illuminate. Regardless of how hypocritical and petty it makes the fanbase look.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The Hamilton trade looks better and better all the time. In 5 years time we will all look back on the summer of 2015 as the critical period where Sweeney constructed the next great Bruins team.

Lauzon>Hamilton

indy

Oct 18, 2015
Dougie may turn into the great offensive player we all thought he would be while wearing the spoked b.

But we also saw flaws on the defensive side of his game and no one liked it that this big guy had no snarl (see Chara last game.)

Being fans of the Bruins there has to be a small part in everyone here, that hopes Dougie underperforms and the picks we got turn into gold.

I don't think anyone needs to apologize for that outlook.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Lonnie, I couldn't wait to draft Lauzon in the SIM. I felt like insider Draft Kings trading....I felt so dirty:naughty:

can't wait to track Lauzon vs Dougie over the years

toss in a top 6 in Sensyshyn and a player named after one of our 35th Presidents this is a heist right up there with the Brinks robbery, Gardner Museum, and that deal I made with Lou when I dumped Dany Heatley for half a team

this will go down like the Neely trade when all is said and done and I will take a bow for calling it

Mr. Make-Believe

Careful...he needed time to adjust to a new system AND recover from not one but two significant concussions. Can't simply stop on the new system and team.

Not what I was speaking to. And really, that debate has been hashed to death.

Most of those people that are jumping the gun are in Calgary. Not Bruins fans.

And it's totally fair for Flames fans! They don't know any better.

But for us? We've seen good Dougie Hamilton. We've seen lousy Dougie Hamilton. We've seen serviceable, bench-worthy and some games where he's looked like a future All-Star.

Now many seem to wish to label him a lost cause defensive Clown Show based on a rough start in a brand new environment.

I'm not surprised he looks bad so far for the Flames. I expected a young defenseman with developing skills to struggle under a new but also demanding system.

Does anyone honestly believe Dougie won't improve drastically from what they've seen from so far from him in Calgary?

Mr. Make-Believe

Lonnie, I couldn't wait to draft Lauzon in the SIM. I felt like insider Draft Kings trading....I felt so dirty:naughty:

toss in a top 6 in Sensyshyn and I player named after one of your greatest Presidents this is heist right up there with the Brinks robbery, Gardner Museum, and that deal I made with Lou when I dumped Dany Heatley for half a team

Dan, I love ya. And I hope you're right.

If the Bruins' ability to identify impact players at the draft has improved this dramatically (and there's certainly evidence to this), then we'll be in great shape.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

toss in a top 6 in Sensyshyn and a player named after one of our 35th Presidents this is a heist right up there with the Brinks robbery, Gardner Museum, and that deal I made with Lou when I dumped Dany Heatley for half a team

this will go down like the Neely trade when all is said and done and I will take a bow for calling it

Yeah, was awful--- Heatley for Huberdeau, Erixon and a first. Heatley was of course a 99 shooting though, and as SIM goes, that's elite... Still got bounced round 1. Should have evaluated more... :laugh:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Dan, I love ya. And I hope you're right.

If the Bruins' ability to identify impact players at the draft has improved this dramatically (and there's certainly evidence to this), then we'll be in great shape.

excluding an Eriksson deal at the deadline and I hope it doesn't happen because it means Boston is in a good spot, they will have grabbed TEN picks in the first and second round over 2 years- 5 firsts and 5 seconds (I'm assuming Chiarelli gives up this years second)

that is a boatload of picks and not even including a bunch they had last year in the third thru seventh that got some strong reviews- I'd take a bet they hit on at least one of them as a top 9 F top 6 D at some point

Eriksson to me could alter the playoff picture for a team wanting to make a serious run- like the Wild or Blues....those teams that have been Chicago's beaches the last half dozen years could pony up big time

kind of sucks Loui is the guy I thought he'd be now but between fitting in to a new team, system, and concussions it wasn't an easy road; right now the guy is freaking good....he's going to be tough call but if you can get a first round pick and decent prospect for Vermette as a UFA you should be able to get a first and a really good prospect for Loui

I'm at the point where Boston is fast approaching to many prospects after this draft and needs quality players and why they better keep either Loui or Marchand.

I think Loui is gone by July 1st and Marchand could be the same next year.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, was awful--- Heatley for Huberdeau, Erixon and a first. Heatley was of course a 99 shooting though, and as SIM goes, that's elite... Still got bounced round 1. Should have evaluated more... :laugh:

Lou sorry to bring this up but if I don't promote how ****ing smart I am no one will....besides you can just say you felt bad for me; woman and my family have been saying that for years

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
And it's totally fair for Flames fans! They don't know any better.

But for us? We've seen good Dougie Hamilton. We've seen lousy Dougie Hamilton. We've seen serviceable, bench-worthy and some games where he's looked like a future All-Star.

Now many seem to wish to label him a lost cause defensive Clown Show based on a rough start in a brand new environment.

I'm not surprised he looks bad so far for the Flames. I expected a young defenseman with developing skills to struggle under a new but also demanding system.

Does anyone honestly believe Dougie won't improve drastically from what they've seen from so far from him in Calgary?

I think some of the issue lies here - we tried to warn Calgary fans about what they were getting, but they decided to mute those observations and labeled us as just being "bitter and upset" while running around like they heisted the best player since Orr from the Bruins. As far as I'm concerned, they've gotten (so far) what they deserve.

On top of this came all of the media critiques and that whole circus.

Dougie flat out didn't want to play here under Claude, he didn't want to be challenged, he didn't want to mesh with the room and play a team game, he didn't want to play physical, be defensive responsible, he didn't want to learn and grow - he knew better than everyone else - that much is obvious.

I'm taking great joy in his struggles and the *****ing of the Flames fans. Serves them right for disregarding our insight.

Edit: I understand that the above has absolutely no effect on the player, nor do our opinions truly matter, however we are on a message board and the above has been a huge piece in HFB's commentary on the transaction.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He'll improve, but I'd be lying if I said his early struggles aren't warming my icy heart.

WE MOVE ON FROM YOU, YOU DON'T MOVE ON FROM US (and yes I realize I am irrational)

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
excluding an Eriksson deal at the deadline and I hope it doesn't happen because it means Boston is in a good spot, they will have grabbed TEN picks in the first and second round over 2 years- 5 firsts and 5 seconds (I'm assuming Chiarelli gives up this years second)

that is a boatload of picks and not even including a bunch they had last year in the third thru seventh that got some strong reviews- I'd take a bet they hit on at least one of them as a top 9 F top 6 D at some point

Eriksson to me could alter the playoff picture for a team wanting to make a serious run- like the Wild or Blues....those teams that have been Chicago's beaches the last half dozen years could pony up big time

kind of sucks Loui is the guy I thought he'd be now but between fitting in to a new team, system, and concussions it wasn't an easy road; right now the guy is freaking good....he's going to be tough call but if you can get a first round pick and decent prospect for Vermette as a UFA you should be able to get a first and a really good prospect for Loui

I'm at the point where Boston is fast approaching to many prospects after this draft and needs quality players and why they better keep either Loui or Marchand.

You forgot to add that Jimmy Vesey will be joining us as well

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
He's clearly going to be better than he has been...

But, Flames fans are no doubt victims of "overhype" based on the media's freaking-out about the Bruins trading away another "star player" for, apparently, peanuts.

This is so true. The Canadian media was literally tripping over themselves with this tired narrative. They just ran with it blindly. Lots of groupthink up here. That draft day coverage and aftermath was god awful across the board. The only voice I give any credence to is Bobby Mac. I don't mind Elliotte Friedman either, he at least tries to do his own analysis.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Have to say Dan, I love your enthusiasm for prospects. It's really great to hear how excited you get about them. The problem is though, that we know what Hamilton is already. Warts and all. Good and bad. We have no clue what Lauzon is, or will be and won't for years. I hope he pans out, but that's a question that won't be answered for quite some time.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

And depending on the returns, both those deals could be disasters.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Not sure how it's Bruins fans being bitter or revisionist history either. I read plenty of posts slamming Hamilton well before he traded.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
What? Why would anything I'm saying here be designed to make ME feel better? That doesn't make any sense.

Eriksson got blasted here for being slow and showing a lack of compete level. He was advertised as the "better player right now" out of him and Seguin and looked anything but. People's excuse? He had to adjust to the new system. A veteran of the game of six years, considered one of the top two-way players in the sport at 27 years old in his prime. And he needed time to adjust to the system.

But somehow this excuse doesn't fly for a 22 year old developing defensemen with less than half the amount of time spent in the NHL?

It's ridiculous. But I guess par for the course around here. Certainly isn't the first time we've jeered a player who was traded for a laughable return when there's something less-than-favorable to illuminate. Regardless of how hypocritical and petty it makes the fanbase look.

Bang on post.

Chara was our best D last year by every metric. But on those same metrics, Hamilton was easily our second best D man last year, miles better on every advanced stat than our third best-- Seidenberg.

And Hamilton played difficult minutes last year; not sheltered at all. Difficult zone starts-- not as difficult as Chara or Seids-- but comparable. Nothing like Krug's sheltered zone starts.

He's had a rough start but he's not only trying to adjust to a new team, system, coach, organization, but people are also forgetting that he's coming off a significant injury stint. He's probably playing tentatively, and needs to gain confidence on the physical side of things too.

He'll improve. And anyone trying to bury this kid based on 10 games in October is setting himself up for some comeuppance later.

I'm sure MMB will be happy to deliver it later, when Hamilton does improve.

Victor Hedman was dreadful not for 10 games, but for literally four seasons in Tampa. But they showed patience, and he's developed into a legit #1D.

Defencemen, in particular, seem to take longer to develop and need patience. If Tampa had acted irrationally and sold him low, they would not be gaining the benefit now.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Dougie in the corner, Islanders coming, panicked, shoots over the glass - delay 2 mins - pp goal Islanders.

BigBadBruins63*

He ended up with a -3 tonight and took a penalty that led to an Islander PP Goal. :handclap:

I love this. Am i dirty for saying that? I don't even care. Beaker can screw off, i wish him nothing but a terrible NHL career. You don't want to be in Boston? Good. GTFO then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad